Fulham is out of the bottom three.
Yes, you read that last sentence correctly. Thanks to a Brian McBride header and Fulham’s 2-0 win against Birmingham, the Cottagers now have their relegation fate in their own hands heading into the final weekend of the EPL season. A Fulham win against Portsmouth on Sunday and McBride and his fellow Americans will be back in the English Premier League for one more season.
Fulham’s resurgence is one of the few bright spots for Americans Abroad this weekend. The Did Not Dress club was full this week, with everyone from Freddy Adu to Jonathan Spector failing to make it into uniform this weekend. Given the amount of time so many key Americans have spent in Europe this season I can’t help but think that we will see as many as a dozen or more Americans making transfer moves this summer.
Here is how the Americans Abroad did this weekend:
This week’s edition of American’s Abroad: Weekend Rewind is brought to you by ASA: FC Barcelona, the summer residency program that allows teenage soccer players to be Americans Abroad, training at fabled FC Barcelona this summer. If you want to experience the dream of playing and training at FC Barcelona, then contact ASA: FC Barcelona for information on the July camp.
Now, here is how the rest of the Americans Abroad did this weekend in Europe and Mexico:
Brian McBride started, played 90 minutes and scored the game-winning goal in Fulham’s 2-0 win against Birmingham on Saturday.
Kasey Keller started, played 90 minutes and made one save for Fulham.
Clint Dempsey started and played 90 minutes for Fulham.
Carlos Bocanegra dressed but did not start for Fulham.
Eddie Johnson did not dress for Fulham.
- Marcus Hahnemann started, played 90 minutes and made four saves in Reading’s 1-0 loss to Tottenham on Saturday.
- Bobby Convey did not dress for Reading.
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made two saves in Everton’s 1-0 loss to Arsenal on Sunday.
- Brad Friedel started, played 90 minutes and made two saves in Blackburn’s 3-1 win vs. Derby County on Saturday.
- Eddie Lewis started and played 72 minutes for Derby County.
- Benny Feilhaber dressed but did not play for Derby County.
- Jonathan Spector did not dress for West Ham United’s 4-2 loss vs. Manchester Unjited on Saturday.
- Jay DeMerit did not dress in Watford’s 1-1 tie vs. Blackpool on Sunday.
Matt Pickens did not dress in Queens Park Rangers’ 5-0 win vs. Burnley on Sunday. He is out with a seperated shoulder.
- Steve Cherundolo started, played 90 minutes and drew a yellow card in Hannover 96’s 1-1 tie vs. Schalke 04 on Saturday.
- Sal Zizzo did not dress for Hannover 96.
- Bryan Arguez did not dress in Hertha Berlin’s 3-1 win vs. Karlsruhe on Saturday.
- Heath Pearce did not dress in Hansa Rostock’s 3-1 loss to Hamburg on Saturday.
- Neven Subotic started and played 90 minutes in Mainz 05’s 2-1 win vs. Kaiserslautern on Friday.
- Luis Robles dressed but did not play for Kaiserslautern
- Josh Wolff dressed but did not play in 1860 Munich’s 3-0 loss to Freiburg on Friday.
- Gregg Berhalter did not dress for 1860 Munich.
- Josh Grenier did not dress in TUS Koblenz’s 2-0 win vs. Wehen on Sunday.
- Joe Enochs dressed but did not play in Osnabruck’s 1-1 tie vs. Carl Zeiss Jena on Friday.
- Michael Bradley started and played 90 minutes in Heerenveen’s 2-1 loss to Ajax Amsterdam in the Dutch Eredivisie Champions League semifinal first-leg. The second leg will be played today.
- Gabriel Ferrari did not dress in Sampdoria’s 3-0 loss to Roma on Sunday.
- Danny Szetela did not play in Brescia’s 3-0 win against Modena on Saturday.
- Giuseppe Rossi started and played 90 minutes in Villarreal’s 2-0 victory against Getafe on Sunday.
- Quentin Westberg dressed but did not play in FC Troyes 1-0 loss to AC Ajaccio on Friday.
- Freddy Adu did not dress in Benfica’s 0-0 tie vs. Estrela Amadora on Sunday.
- Oguchi Onyewu started and played 90 minutes in Standard Liege’s 3-0 win vs. Dender on Saturday.
- Danny Califf started and played 90 minutes in AaB’s 1-0 win vs. Viborg FF on Sunday.
- Lee Nguyen started and played 90 minutes in Randers FC’s 3-2 loss to Esjberg on Sunday.
- Jeremiah White did not play for AGF Aarhus’s 2-0 loss to Odense on Saturday.
- Edgar Castillo started and played 90 minutes in Santos’ 4-1 win vs. San Luis on Sunday.
- Michael Orozco did not dress for San Luis.
- Jose Francisco Torres came off the bench and played 33 minutes in Pachuca’s 0-0 tie vs. UNAM Pumas on Sunday.
- Daniel Hernandez started and played 90 minutes in Chiapas’ 2-2 vs. Chivas de Guadalajara.
- Troy Perkins started and played 90 minutes in Valarenga’s 2-1 loss to Molde on Sunday.
- Adin Brown started and played 90 minutes in Aalesunds FK’s 4-0 loss to Lyn on Sunday.
- Pat Noonan came off the bench and played 31 minutes for Aalesunds FK.
- Willis Forko started, played 90 minutes and drew a yellow card in Bodo Glimt’s 2-1 win vs. Stromsgodset on Sunday.
What do you think of how the Americans Abroad did this weekend? Share your thoughts below.