Photo by ISIphotos.com
by GIANFRANCO PANIZO
Five months after making his first and, to this point only, official appearance for AGF Aarhus, Benny Feilhaber finally returned to action on Tuesday.
Yes you read that correctly, Benny Feilhaber is playing soccer again.
It was only a friendly, but Feilhaber made a substitute appearance for Aarhus' pre-season match against FC Vysocina Jihlava of Czech Republic. Feilhaber's 23-minute performance for the Danish club was his first significant playing time of any kind since being sidelined by a slow-healing knee injury.
The American midfielder will look to build on his second-half appearance as Aarhus continues to prepare for the start of the Danish Superliga. The club opens its 2009 campaign on March 1 vs. Randers.
Feilhaber was one of just a handful of Americans in Europe to see playing time on Tuesday. Here is how the rest of the Americans Abroad performed:
- Jay DeMerit started and played 90 minutes in Watford's 2-0 win vs. Swansea City.
- Frank Simek did not dress in Sheffield Wednesday's 1-0 loss vs. Barnsley.
- Mike Grella came off the bench and played 31 minutes in Leeds' 2-0 loss vs. Hereford United.
- Ian Joyce dressed but did not play in Southend United's 1-0 loss vs. Crewe Alexandra.
- Danny Szetela did not dress in Brescia's 3-0 win vs. Ancona.
- Benny Feilhaber came off the bench and played 23 minutes in AGF Aarhus' 1-0 exhibition win vs. FC Vysocina Jihlava.
What do you think of these performances? Happy to see Feilhaber back in action? Hoping he gets back to his 2007 form and challenges for a spot on the U.S. National Team? Thinking Mike Grella isn't far off from getting his first start for Leeds?
Share your thoughts below.