by FRANCO PANIZO
Tim Howard has had enough brilliant moments in his career to fill up an ESPN highlight reel. From his gutsy performance against Argentina in 2008, to his penalty kick heroics against former club Manchester United in last season's FA Cup, Howard has made a name for himself with his timely saves, and his most recent shot block is just the latest evidence of his greatness.
Having come back from a two-goal deficit, Everton saw its draw preserved by Howard, who made a match-saving stop on a Jermaine Defoe penalty kick in stoppage time of the Toffees' match against Tottenham. The U.S. national team goalkeeper had six saves in the game, delivering in the clutch just three days after leading Everton to a vital Europa League victory.
Howard was one of several bright spots on a weekend that saw recently recovered Jay DeMerit make Watford's bench, Michael Bradley deliver a beautiful assist and DaMarcus Beasley make an appearance in a vital Rangers' victory .
Here is how the rest of the Americans Abroad did this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made six saves in Everton's 2-2 draw vs. Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday.
- Jozy Altidore started and played 54 minutes in Hull City's 3-0 loss vs. Aston Villa on Saturday.
- Clint Dempsey started and played 90 minutes in Fulham's 1-0 win vs. Sunderland on Sunday.
- Eddie Johnson did not dress in Fulham's 1-0 win vs. Sunderland on Sunday.
- Jonathan Spector started and played 90 minutes in West Ham's 4-0 loss vs. Manchester United on Saturday.
- Brad Friedel started and played 90 minutes in Aston Villa's 3-0 win vs. Hull City on Saturday.
Brad Guzan dressed but did not play in Aston Villa's 3-0 win vs. Hull City on Saturday.
Marcus Hahnemann started, played 90 minutes, received a yellow card and made seven saves in Wolverhampton Wanderers' 2-1 win vs. Bolton Wanderers on Saturday.
COCA COLA CHAMPIONSHIP
- Jay DeMerit dressed but did not play in Watford's 2-0 loss vs. Newcastle United on Saturday. DeMerit and Watford play Queens Park Rangers on Monday.
- Frank Simek did not dress in Sheffield Wednesday's 2-0 loss vs. Reading on Saturday.
- Zak Whitbread did not dress in Millwall's 3-0 loss vs. Hartlepool United on Saturday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Ian Joyce did not dress in Southend United's 1-0 loss vs. Charlton Athletic on Saturday.
- Mike Grella dressed but did not play in Leeds United's 2-2 draw vs. Huddersfield Town on Saturday.
- Jemal Johnson did not dress in Milton Keynes Dons' 2-2 draw vs. Yeovil Town on Saturday.
- Jon-Paul Pittman came off the bench and played 13 minutes in Wycombe Wanderers' 2-1 win vs. Stockport County on Saturday.
- Maurice Edu did not dress in Rangers' 3-1 win vs. Falkirk on Saturday.
- DaMarcus Beasley came off the bench and played 28 minutes in Rangers' 3-1 win vs. Falkirk on Saturday. He drew a penalty during his appearance, resulting in a Rangers goal.
- Dominic Cervi did not dress in Celtic's 3-0 win vs. Aberdeen on Saturday.
- Oguchi Onyewu did not dress in AC Milan's 3-0 win vs. Sampdoria on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Michael Bradley started, played 79 minutes, received a yellow card and had an ASSIST in Borussia Moenchengladbach's 2-1 loss vs. Bayern Munich on Sunday.
- Steve Cherundolo started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Hannover 96's 0-0 draw vs. Bayer Leverkusen on Saturday.
- Sal Zizzo did not dress in Hannover 96's 0-0 draw vs. Bayer Leverkusen on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Jermaine Jones did not dress in Schalke 04's 2-0 win vs. Hertha Berlin on Sunday.
- Kenny Cooper did not dress in TSV 1860 Munich's 1-0 win vs. RW Oberhausen on Sunday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Luis Robles dressed but did not play in Kaiserslautern 's 1-0 win vs. Hansa Rostock on Saturday.
- Matt Taylor came off the bench and played 5 minutes in FSV Frankfurt's 2-0 loss vs. FC Augsburg on Friday.
- David Yeldell started, played 90 minutes and made eight saves in TUS Koblenz's 5-1 loss vs. St Pauli on Saturday.
- Carlos Bocanegra started and played 90 minutes in Stade Rennes' 1-0 win vs. Lorient on Saturday.
- Freddy Adu dressed but did not play in Belenenses' 0-0 draw vs. Rio Ave on Saturday.
- Kamani Hill did not dress in Vitoria de Guimaraes' 4-1 loss vs. FC Porto on Friday.
- Benny Feilhaber and AGF Aarhus play Esbjerg on Monday.
- Jeremiah White and AGF Aarhus play Esbjerg on Monday.
- Michael Parkhurst started and played 90 minutes in FC Nordsjaelland's 3-0 win vs. FC Midtjylland on Sunday.
- Marcus Tracy started and played 77 minutes Aalborg's 2-0 loss vs. Sonderjyske on Saturday.
What do you think of these performances? How clutch do you consider Howard's penalty kick save? Encouraged to see DeMerit back for Watford so soon? Still drooling over Bradley's assist? Think things at Rangers are starting to turn around for Beasley?
Share your thoughts below.