photo by ISIphotos.com
By FRANCO PANIZO
Call this weekend goals galore.
Five goals from four different Americans were scored this weekend as Clint Dempsey, Maurice Edu, Sacha Kljestan and Mike Grella found the back of the net for their respective clubs.
Dempsey netted a first-half brace in Fulham's 2-0 win over Wigan Athletic. Edu blasted a beauty in Rangers' 1-1 draw with Inverness Caledonian Thistle. Grella scored for a second consecutive game as he tapped in a late equalizer and helped draw a penalty kick (that was missed by a teammate) in Carlisle United's 1-1 tie with Bristol Rovers. Kljestan opened the scoring in RSC Anderlecht's 2-1 victory over Racing Genk.
Another American found the back of the net, but it came in a reserve match. Charlie Davies scored a game-winning penalty kick as Sochaux's reserves defeated Dijon FCO, 2-1. Davies' goal is the latest bit of progress for him as he attempts to fully recover from the car accident he was in last October.
Here is how the Americans Abroad performed this weekend:
- Tim Howard started and played 90 minutes in Everton's 1-0 win vs. Stoke City on Saturday.
- Clint Dempsey started, played 90 minutes and scored two GOALS in Fulham's 2-0 win vs. Wigan Athletic on Saturday.
- Eddie Johnson did not dress for Fulham.
- Brad Friedel started, played 90 minutes and made four saves in Aston Villa's 0-0 draw vs. Birmingham on Sunday.
- Brad Guzan dressed but did not play for Aston Villa.
- Eric Lichaj dressed but did not play for Aston Villa.
- Marcus Hahnemann started, played 90 minutes and made one save in Wolverhampton Wanderers' 2-1 win vs. Manchester City on Saturday.
- Jonathan Spector did not dress in West Ham United's 1-0 loss vs. Arsenal on Saturday.
- Stuart Holden started and played 90 minutes in Bolton Wanderers' 1-0 loss vs. Liverpool on Sunday.
- Conor Doyle dressed but did not play in Derby County's 4-1 win vs. Watford on Saturday.
- Zak Whitbread did not dress in Norwich City's 3-1 loss vs. Cardiff City on Saturday. He is recovering from a calf injury.
- Frank Simek started and played 90 minutes in Carlisle United's 1-1 draw vs. Bristol Rovers on Saturday.
- Mike Grella started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL for Carlisle United.
- Anton Peterlin did not dress in Plymouth Argyle's 4-2 loss vs. Oldham Athletic on Saturday.
- Maurice Edu started, played 45 minutes and scored a GOAL in Rangers' 1-1 draw vs. Inverness Caledonian Thistle on Saturday.
- Dominic Cervi did not dress in Celtic's 3-0 win vs. St Johnstone on Saturday.
- Jozy Altidore came off the bench and played 19 minutes in Villarreal's 1-1 draw vs. Sporting Gijon on Sunday.
- Oguchi Onyewu did not dress in AC Milan's 2-1 loss vs. Juventus on Saturday.
- Steve Cherundolo started and played 90 minutes in Hannover 96's 4-0 loss vs. TSG Hoffenheim on Sunday.
- DaMarcus Beasley came off the bench and played 13 minutes for Hannover 96.
- Michael Bradley started and played 90 minutes in Borussia Moenchengladbach's 3-0 loss vs. Kaiserslautern on Saturday.
- Jermaine Jones did not dress in Schalke 04's 1-0 loss vs. Bayer Leverkusen on Saturday. He is recovering from an ankle injury.
- Ricardo Clark came off the bench and played 1 minute in Eintracht Frankfurt's 3-1 win vs. St Pauli on Saturday.
- Daniel Williams came off the bench and played 8 minutes in SC Freiburg's 4-2 loss vs. Bayern Munich on Friday.
- Kenny Cooper did not dress in TSV 1860 Munich's 4-2 win vs. Karlsruhe on Saturday. He is recovering from an ankle injury.
- David Yeldell and MSV Duisburg play Fortuna Dusseldorf on Monday.
- Luis Robles started, played 90 minutes and made four saves in Karlsruhe's 4-2 loss vs. TSV 1860 Munich on Saturday.
- Amaechi Igwe did not dress in FC Ingolstadt 04's 3-1 loss vs. Hertha Berlin on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Carlos Bocanegra did not dress in St Etienne's 2-0 loss vs. Brest on Saturday. He is recovering from a neck injury.
- Charlie Davies did not dress in Sochaux's 2-1 loss vs. Lyon on Saturday. He scored a penalty kick GOAL in Sochaux's reserves' 2-1 win vs. Dijon FCO on Saturday.
- Quentin Westberg dressed but did not play in Evian Thonon Gaillard's 1-1 draw vs. Istres on Friday.
- Freddy Adu did not dress in Aris Salonika's 2-0 win vs. Atromitos on Saturday.
- Sacha Kljestan started, played 90 minutes, received a yellow card and scored a GOAL in RSC Anderlecht's 2-1 win vs. Racing Genk on Sunday.
- Michael Parkhurst and FC Nordsjaelland play Odense BK on Monday.
- Marcus Tracy did not dress in Aalborg BK's 0-0 draw vs. Randers FC on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Chris Rolfe did not dress for Aalborg BK. He is recovering from a hamstring injury.
- Benny Feilhaber started and played 88 minutes in AGF Aarhus's 4-3 win vs. AB Copenhagen on Sunday.
- Alejandro Bedoya and Orebro SK play IFK on Monday.
- Ryan Miller started and played 45 minutes in Halmstads BK's 4-2 loss vs. Helsingborg on Sunday.
- Clarence Goodson started and played 90 minutes in IK Start's 2-1 loss vs. Odd Grenland on Sunday.
- Hunter Freeman did not dress for IK Start. He is recovering from an injury.
- Mikkel Diskerud started and played 90 minutes in Stabaek IF's 2-1 win vs. Sandefjord on Sunday.
- Steve Clark dressed but did not play Honefoss BK's 3-1 win vs. Valerenga on Sunday.
- Jose Torres started and played 90 minutes in Pachuca's 2-1 win vs. Atlas on Saturday.
- Herculez Gomez dressed but did not play for Pachuca.
- Marco Vidal came off the bench and played 13 minutes for Pachuca.
- Edgar Castillo came off the bench and played 24 minutes in San Luis' 2-1 win vs. Toluca on Sunday.
- Sammy Ochoa and Estudiantes Tecos U.A. de G. play America on Sunday evening.
- Sonny Guadarrama and Atlante play Necaxa on Sunday evening.
What do you think of these performances? Pleasantly surprised to see so many goals? Which was your favorite? What do you think of Davies netting in Sochaux's reserve match? What non-scoring performance are you most impressed/concerned by?
Share your thoughts below.