By FRANCO PANIZO
Eric Lichaj and Aston Villa may have lost their match against Tottenham on Sunday, but the American put forth one of the most solid performances of his young career.
Starting at right back in the 2-1 loss to Tottenham on Boxing Day, Lichaj helped contain the dangerous Gareth Bale before Bale eventually moved over to the opposite flank. Lichaj looked poised and comfortable on the ball, and almost equalized late in the game when he got on the end of a cross before seeing his shot hit the side netting.
Eddie Johnson also saw the field on Boxing Day, coming off the bench and playing 36 minutes in Fulham's 3-1 loss to West Ham United. The defeat placed Fulham in the relegation zone along with the Hammers and Wolves.
Here is how the Americans Abroad performed this weekend:
- Tim Howard and Everton's game vs. Birmingham on Sunday was postponed due to the weather.
- Clint Dempsey started and played 54 minutes in Fulham's 3-1 loss vs. West Ham United on Sunday.
- Eddie Johnson came off the bench and played 36 minutes for Fulham.
- Brad Friedel started, played 90 minutes and made two saves in Aston Villa's 2-1 loss vs. Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday.
- Brad Guzan dressed but did not play for Aston Villa.
- Eric Lichaj started and played 90 minutes for Aston Villa.
- Marcus Hahnemann dressed but did not play in Wolverhampton Wanderers' 2-1 loss vs. Wigan Athletic on Sunday.
- Jonathan Spector dressed but did not play in West Ham United's 3-1 win vs. Fulham on Sunday.
- Stuart Holden started and played 90 minutes in Bolton Wanderers' 2-0 win vs. West Bromwich Albion on Sunday.
- Conor Doyle and Derby County's game vs. Doncaster Rovers on Sunday was postponed due to the weather.
- Zak Whitbread and Norwich City's game vs. Crystal Palace on Sunday was postponed due to the weather.
- Frank Simek and Carlisle United's game vs. Oldham Athletic on Sunday was postponed due to the weather.
- Mike Grella and Carlisle United's game vs. Oldham Athletic on Sunday was postponed due to the weather.
- Anton Peterlin and Plymouth Argyle's game vs. AFC Bournemouth on Sunday was postponed due to the weather.
- Jemal Johnson and Milton Keynes Dons' game vs. Leyton Orient on Sunday was postponed due to the weather.
- Maurice Edu did not dress in Rangers' 4-1 win vs. Motherwell on Sunday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Sacha Kljestan started and played 78 minutes in RSC Anderlecht's 6-0 win vs. Lierse SK on Sunday.
What do you think of these performances? How do you rate Lichaj's 90-minute showing? Impressed? Surprised Johnson and Fulham are in the relegation zone?
Share your thoughts below.