photo by John Dorton/ISIphotos.com
By FRANCO PANIZO
World Cup qualifying for the U-20 World Cup is fast approaching, and one American who is currently helping his cause to make the United States' roster is Bobby Wood.
Having recently been promoted to TSV 1860 Munich's first team, Wood made his professional debut against MSV Duisburg on Saturday. The 18-year-old forward may have only played 8 minutes in the 1-1 draw, but U.S. U-20 coach Thomas Rongen must have been pleased with the performance as it gives him another offensive weapon with first-team experience to choose from when qualifying begins in April in Guatemala.
More than doubling Wood in age, grizzled veteran Marcus Hahnemann received a start for Wolves in their FA Cup fixture against Stoke City. Hahnemann kept Wolves in the match by making nine saves, but a late goal from Robert Huth and a missed last-minute penalty kick saw Wolves fall, 1-0.
Maurice Edu was responsible for the Americans Abroad's lone goal this weekend. Edu scored a wonder opening goal in Rangers' 2-1 victory over Motherwell when he unleashed a left-footed shot from distance. The goal was Edu's third across all competitions this season.
Here is how the Americans Abroad fared this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made four saves in Everton's 1-1 draw vs. Chelsea in the FA Cup on Saturday.
- Clint Dempsey started, played 90 minutes and drew a penalty kick in Fulham's 4-0 win vs. Tottenham Hotspur in the FA Cup on Saturday.
- Eddie Johnson did not dress for Fulham.
- Brad Friedel started, played 90 minutes and made three saves in Aston Villa's 3-1 win vs. Blackburn Rovers in the FA Cup on Saturday.
- Eric Lichaj did not dress for Aston Villa.
- Marcus Hahnemann started, played 90 minutes and made nine saves in Wolverhampton Wanderers' 1-0 loss vs. Stoke City in the FA Cup on Sunday.
- Jonathan Spector did not dress in West Ham United's 3-2 win vs. Nottingham Forest in the FA Cup on Sunday. He is recovering from a hamstring injury.
- Stuart Holden came off the bench, played 16 minutes and received a yellow card in Bolton Wanderers' 0-0 draw vs. Wigan Athletic in the FA Cup on Saturday.
- Jermaine Jones dressed but did not play in Blackburn Rovers' 3-1 loss vs. Aston Villa in the FA Cup on Saturday.
- Conor Doyle and Derby County did not play this weekend.
- Zak Whitbread started and played 90 minutes in Norwich City's 0-0 draw vs. Crystal Palace on Saturday.
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes and made five saves in Hull City's 0-0 draw vs. Queens Park Rangers on Saturday.
- Mike Grella and Leeds United did not play this weekend.
- Robbie Findley did not dress in Nottingham Forest's 3-2 loss vs. West Ham United in the FA Cup on Sunday.
- Frank Simek started and played 90 minutes in Carlisle United's 2-2 draw vs. Oldham Athletic on Saturday.
- Anton Peterlin dressed but did not play in Plymouth Argyle's 2-1 loss vs. AFC Bournemouth on Saturday.
- Maurice Edu started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in Rangers' 2-1 win vs. Motherwell in the Co-operative Insurance Cup semifinals on Sunday.
- Dominic Cervi did not dress in Celtic's 4-1 win vs. Aberdeen in the Co-operative Insurance Cup semifinals on Saturday.
- Jozy Altidore did not dress in Villarreal's 1-0 win vs. Espanyol on Sunday.
- Steve Cherundolo started and played 90 minutes in Hannover 96's 2-0 loss vs. Bayer Leverkusen on Friday.
- DaMarcus Beasley did not dress for Hannover 96.
- Ricardo Clark did not dress in Eintracht Frankfurt's 1-0 loss vs. Borussia Moenchengladbach on Sunday. He is recovering from a fractured cheekbone.
- Daniel Williams did not dress in SC Freiburg's 1-0 win vs. VfB Stuttgart on Sunday.
- Timothy Chandler came off the bench and played 29 minutes in Nurnberg's 2-0 win vs. Hamburg SV on Saturday.
- Michael Bradley did not dress in Borussia Moenchengladbach's 1-0 win vs. Eintracht Frankfurt on Sunday. He has a loan deal to Aston Villa pending.
- David Yeldell started, played 90 minutes and made two saves in MSV Duisburg's 1-1 draw vs. TSV 1860 Munich on Saturday.
- Luis Robles started, played 90 minutes and made five saves in Karlsruhe's 1-0 win vs. Energie Cottbus on Sunday.
- Edson Buddle came off the bench, played 29 minutes and received a yellow card in FC Ingolstadt 04's 1-1 draw vs. RW Oberhausen on Friday.
- Amaechi Igwe did not dress for FC Ingolstadt 04. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Bobby Wood came off the bench and played 8 minutes in TSV 1860 Munich's 1-1 draw vs. MSV Duisburg on Saturday.
- Alfredo Morales dressed but did not play in Hertha Berlin's 3-1 win vs. Arminia Bielefeld on Sunday.
- Carlos Bocanegra started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in St Etienne's 2-1 win vs. Toulouse on Saturday.
- Charlie Davies did not dress in Sochaux's 5-1 win vs. Stade Rennes on Saturday.
- Quentin Westberg did not dress in Evian Thonon Gaillard's 3-0 win vs. Nantes on Saturday.
- Oguchi Onyewu did not dress in Twente Enschede's 2-1 win vs. Feyenoord on Sunday. He is recovering from a back injury.
- Sacha Kljestan dressed but did not play in RSC Anderlecht's 0-0 draw vs. Mechelen on Sunday.
- Jose Torres dressed but did not play in Pachuca's 4-0 loss vs. Cruz Azul on Saturday.
- Herculez Gomez came off the bench and played 45 minutes for Pachuca.
- Edgar Castillo came off the bench and played 18 minutes in Puebla's 2-0 loss vs. Atlante on Saturday.
- Sammy Ochoa did not dress in Estudiantes Tecos U.A. de G.'s 1-0 win vs. Chivas de Guadalajara on Friday.
- Sonny Guadarrama came off the bench and played 29 minutes in Atlante's 2-0 win vs. Puebla on Saturday.
- Jonathan Bornstein dressed but did not play in Tigres UANL's 1-0 loss vs. Toluca on Saturday.
What do you think of these performances? Are you more surprised or impressed by Wood's debut? Hoping Hahnemann leaves Wolves for MLS this summer? What did you think of Edu's goal?
Share your thoughts below.