By FRANCO PANIZO
If there were fears and concerns from fans and pundits over Tim Ream's move to Bolton Wanderers, you would have been hard-pressed to identify why this weekend.
Three weeks after completing his move to Bolton, Ream made his debut for the club by earning a start and going the distance in a 2-0 FA Cup win over Millwall. According to various reports, Ream had a steady outing, demonstrating his passing ability and defending capably as Bolton recorded a cleansheet to advance out of the fifth round of the tournament.
Another player to make his debut this weekend was Mikkel Diskerud. The U.S. Under-23 men's national team midfielder started and played 76 minutes in KAA Gent's 1-1 draw with KSC Lokeren. The performance should serve as a boost in confidence for Diskerud, who is looking to win a permanent starting spot with the club after spending the past few weeks on the bench.
It was not all good news this weekend. Landon Donovan was unable to play in his final Everton match because of the flu, Robbie Rogers suffered a concussion in his Leeds United debut, and Oguchi Onyewu had to be removed from Sporting CP's clash with Pacos de Ferreira after 27 minutes because of an injury.
Here is how the Americans Abroad did this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made 5 saves in Everton's 2-0 win vs. Blackpool in the fifth round of the FA Cup on Saturday.
- Landon Donovan did not dress for Everton. He was out with the flu.
- Marcus Hahnemann dressed but did not play for Everton.
- Clint Dempsey and Fulham did not play this weekend.
- Brad Friedel dressed but did not play in Tottenham Hotspur's 0-0 draw vs. Stevenage in the fifth round of the FA Cup on Sunday.
- Brad Guzan and Aston Villa did not play this weekend.
- Eric Lichaj and Aston Villa did not play this weekend.
- Stuart Holden did not dress in Bolton Wanderers' 2-0 win vs. Millwall in the fifth round of the FA Cup on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Tim Ream started and played 90 minutes for Bolton Wanderers.
- Zak Whitbread did not dress in Norwich City's 2-1 loss vs. Leicester City on Saturday. He is recovering from a hamstring injury.
- Adam Henley and Blackburn Rovers did not play this weekend.
- Jonathan Spector came off the bench and played 78 minutes in Birmingham City's 1-1 draw vs. Chelsea in the fifth round of the FA Cup on Saturday.
- Conor Doyle did not dress in Derby County's 4-0 loss vs. Southampton on Saturday.
- Robbie Findley came off the bench, played 45 minutes and scored a GOAL in Nottingham Forest's 2-0 win vs. Coventry City on Saturday.
- Daniel Potts and West Ham United did not play this weekend.
- George John and West Ham United did not play this weekend.
- Robbie Rogers came off the bench and played 11 minutes before being subbed off due to an injury in Leeds United's 3-2 win vs. Doncaster Rovers on Saturday.
- Frank Simek and Carlisle United play Brentford on Monday.
- Anton Peterlin came off the bench and played 1 minute vs. Wycombe Wanderers on Saturday.
- Maurice Edu started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Rangers' 1-0 loss vs. Kilmarnock on Saturday.
- Carlos Bocanegra started and played 90 minutes for Rangers.
- Alejandro Bedoya did not dress for Rangers. He is recovering from an ankle injury.
- Dominic Cervi did not dress in Celtic's 5-0 win vs. Hibernian on Sunday.
- Michael Bradley started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Chievo Verona's 1-0 win vs. Genoa on Sunday.
- Steve Cherundolo did not dress in Hannover 96's 4-2 win vs. VfB Stuttgart on Sunday. He is recovering from a calf injury.
- Jermaine Jones did not dress in Schalke 04's 4-0 win vs. VfL Wolfsburg on Sunday. He is currently serving an eight-week suspension.
- Timmy Chandler started and played 82 minutes in FC Nurnberg's 2-1 win vs. FC Cologne on Saturday.
- Fabian Johnson started and played 72 minutes in TSG 1899 Hoffenheim's 1-1 draw vs. Mainz on Friday.
- Danny Williams started and played 90 minutes for TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.
- Joe Gyau did not dress for TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.
- Terrence Boyd did not dress in Borussia Dortmund's 1-0 win vs. Hertha Berlin on Saturday.
- Alfredo Morales dressed but did not play in Hertha Berlin's 1-0 loss vs. Borussia Dortmund on Saturday.
- David Yelldell dressed but did not play in Bayer Leverkusen's 4-1 win vs. FC Augsburg on Saturday.
- Ricardo Clark did not dress in Eintracht Frankfurt's 6-1 win vs. FSV Frankfurt on Saturday.
- Luis Robles did not dress in Karlsruher SC's 2-0 win vs. Energie Cottbus on Friday.
- Bobby Wood did not dress in TSV 1860 Munich's 2-1 win vs. Fortuna Dusseldorf on Sunday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Matt Taylor came off the bench, played 10 minutes and scored a GOAL in SC Paderborn 07's 2-2 draw vs. Dynamo Dresden on Friday.
- Quentin Westberg dressed but did not play in Evian Thonon Gaillard's 2-2 draw vs. Caen on Saturday.
- Charlie Davies dressed but did not play in Sochaux's 0-0 draw vs. AJ Auxerre on Saturday.
- Jozy Altidore came off the bench and played 45 minutes in AZ Alkmaar's 3-0 loss vs. FC Utrecht on Sunday.
- Oguchi Onyewu started and played 27 minutes in Sporting CP's 1-0 win vs. Pacos de Ferreira on Sunday.
- Sacha Kljestan started and played 80 minutes RSC Anderlecht's 3-1 win vs. KVC Westerlo on Sunday.
- Mikkel Diskerud started and played 76 minutes in KAA Gent's 1-1 draw vs. KSC Lokeren on Saturday.
- Jose Torres started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Pachuca's 1-0 loss vs. America on Sunday.
- Herculez Gomez came off the bench and played 11 minutes in Santos Laguna's 1-1 draw vs. Monterrey on Saturday.
- Sonny Guadarrama did not dress Atlante's 2-1 loss vs. Estudiantes Tecos U.A. de G. on Friday.
- Jonathan Bornstein dressed but did not play in Tigres UANL's 0-0 draw vs. Atlas on Saturday.
- DaMarcus Beasley started and played 74 minutes in Puebla's 2-1 loss vs. Morelia on Sunday.
- Adrian Ruelas did not dress in Jaguares de Chiapas' 3-1 loss vs. Toluca on Sunday.
- Michael Orozco Fiscal dressed but did not play in San Luis' 0-0 draw vs. Chivas de Guadalajara on Saturday.
- Edgar Castillo started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Club Tijuana's 2-0 win vs. Queretaro on Saturday.
- Joe Corona started, played 84 minutes and received a yellow card for Club Tijuana.
- Greg Garza did not dress for Club Tijuana.
What do you think of these performances? Impressed by Ream's debut? Expecting Diskerud to receive more starts for Gent? How disappointing was it to not see Donovan in action one more time for Everton? Worried by Rogers and Onyewu's injuries?
Share your thoughts below.