Photo by ISIphotos.com
The storyline that has been at the forefront of the MLS offseason appears to be on its way to reaching its resolution.
According to reports out of Houston, the Houston Dynamo are engaged in advanced talks with the Montreal Impact for a deal that would send former Dynamo captain and forward Brian Ching back to Houston. Exactly what would be going from Houston to Montreal was not divulged, but Ching going to Houston would provide a boost for a club in need of more reliable forward options. The deal, according to Houston's Fox television affiliate, is contingent on Houston and Ching coming to terms on a new contract agreement.
The Impact announced on Monday that Ching took a leave of absence from preseason training for "personal reasons," raising an eyebrow over whether a deal involving him might be in the works.
The possibility of Ching being dealt from Montreal to Houston has been raised ever since the MLS Expansion Draft, when Montreal selected the player despite his assertion that he would retire if picked. The Impact called his bluff, and Ching reported to Montreal's preseason and has participated with the club throughout its preparations for its first MLS season.
Ching faced off against the Dynamo just last week in a preseason match, and in his post-game comments he made it seem like he had accepted his professional fate.
"It's definitely growing on me," Ching told SBI. "Obviously, it was a very emotional time for me when (the trade) happened, but like I said, I’ve been with the team for about a month now and I enjoy playing with the guys and I enjoy the project of trying to build a competitive team here. It’s still a work in progress."
Instead, it looks like he might just be getting his wish and returning to the city in which he's played since 2006.
What do you think of this development?
Share your thoughts below.