Photo by ISIphotos.com
Sebastian Lletget is healthy enough to join the U.S. Under-23 national team after all.
Lletget was called into U-23 camp by coach Caleb Porter after initially being left off the roster, which was released last week. Sources had told SBI that Lletget was recovering from a broken nose and a concussion, with the latter keeping him out of action. A day after the roster was announced, though, the 19-year-old midfielder appeared in a game for the West Ham reserves.
According to U.S. Soccer, Lletget will join camp on Feb. 25, four days before the friendly against the Mexico Under-23 national team at FC Dallas Stadium.
The current batch of U.S. U-23s, who are training in Frisco, Texas, ahead of the friendly, will face FC Dallas in a scrimmage slated for 11 a.m. today, pitting winger Brek Shea against his club team. They'll face the NASL's San Antonio Scorpions in another scrimmage on Friday.
Here are a few more stories from around the soccer world:
TEVEZ APOLOGIZES TO MAN CITY
Carlos Tevez is taking the steps to mend the fences and repair the bridges between himself and the powers that be at Manchester City in hopes of returning to the playing field.
The much-maligned Argentine forward issued an apology on Tuesday, saying in a statement, ''I wish to apologize sincerely and unreservedly to everybody I have let down and to whom my actions over the last few months have caused offense. My wish is to concentrate on playing football for Manchester City Football Club."
In addition to his apology, Tevez withdrew his appeals for the fines levied on him by the club, and between fines and lost wages, Tevez' five-month stretch of inactivity has cost him about $17 million.
OLYMPIC STADIUM FIELD NOT UP TO EPL STANDARDS
The Olympic Stadium in London has been at the center of a heated battle between clubs wishing to call the new arena its home, but there is one major problem – the field is not up to Premier League standards.
According to the Associated Press, the stadium was built without the proper heating system under the field, one that is standard for Premier League stadiums to keep the field in usable shape. Instead, the field must be torn up and a new one put down after the Olympics. The Olympic Park Legacy Company will have to pay for the new field to be installed with public taxpayer money in order for the stadium to be in shape to be rented to a Premier League club starting in 2014.
START OF INDIAN LEAGUE POSTPONED
The new Indian soccer league featuring the likes of Fabio Cannavaro, Hernan Crespo, Robert Pires, Santino Quaranta and other known commodities has had the start to its inaugural season postponed because of an inability to secure the stadiums organizers thought they would have. As a result, organizers have been unable to upgrade the quality of the fields to where it needs to be for games to be played, as well. Even so, organizers are projecting about a month's postponement and not a cancellation of the season.
"These are minor issues and PLS is very much on," Dharamdutt Pandey, CEO for the organization that created the league, told Reuters. "We are now targeting a mid-April start for the league. It would require at least one month to upgrade the stadiums to an international standard."
Happy to see Lletget included with the U-23s? What do you make of Tevez' apology? What's your take on the Olympic Stadium situation? Were you interested in the new Indian league?
Share your thoughts below.