By FRANCO PANIZO
Fabian Johnson did something on Wednesday that he has not done much of in his career: He scored a goal.
The U.S. men's national team midfielder/defender contributed to TSG 1899 Hoffenheim's lopsided victory over Hamburg SV on Wednesday, scoring the third goal in a 4-0 win. The goal was Johnson's third this season and eighth in his career, and it came from the left back position.
Johnson was not the only American to make an impact during the midweek games. Jozy Altidore scored twice in AZ Alkmaar's 2-2 draw with FC Twente, Timmy Chandler delivered an assist in FC Nurnberg's 4-1 victory over Schalke 04 and Sacha Kljestan set up a goal in RSC Anderlecht's 4-1 triumph over KAA Gent.
Here is how the Americans Abroad performed in mid-week action:
- Adam Henley did not dress in Blackburn Rovers' 3-2 loss vs. Liverpool on Tuesday.
- Michael Bradley started and played 90 minutes in Chievo Verona's 1-0 loss vs. AC Milan on Tuesday.
- Steve Cherundolo started and played 90 minutes in Hannover 96's 2-0 win vs. VfL Wolfsburg on Wednesday.
- Jermaine Jones started, played 64 minutes and received a yellow card in Schalke 04's 4-1 loss vs. FC Nurnberg on Wednesday.
- Timmy Chandler started, played 90 minutes and had an ASSIST in FC Nurnberg's 4-1 win vs. Schalke 04 on Wednesday.
- Fabian Johnson started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in TSG 1899 Hoffenheim's 4-0 win vs. Hamburg SV on Wednesday.
- Danny Williams came off the bench and played 5 minutes for TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.
- Joe Gyau did not dress for TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.
- Terrence Boyd did not dress in Borussia Dortmund's 1-0 win vs. Bayern Munich on Wednesday.
- Alfredo Morales dressed but did not play in Hertha Berlin's 2-1 loss vs. SC Freiburg on Tuesday.
- David Yelldell did not dress in Bayer Leverkusen's 3-1 win vs. Kaiserslautern on Wednesday.
- Andrew Wooten came off the bench and played 22 minutes in Kaiserslautern's 3-1 loss vs. Bayer Leverkusen on Wednesday.
- Luis Robles did not dress in Karlsruher SC's 2-0 win vs. Dynamo Dresden on Wednesday.
- Bobby Wood did not dress in TSV 1860 Munich's 2-1 win vs. MSV Duisburg on Wednesday.
- Matt Taylor came off the bench and played 1 minute in SC Paderborn 07's 2-0 win vs. FC Erzgebirge Aue on Wednesday.
- Villyan Bijev did not dress in Fortuna Dusseldorf's 1-0 win vs. FSV Frankfurt on Tuesdayday.
- Jozy Altidore started, played 80 minutes and scored TWO GOALS in AZ Alkmaar's 2-2 draw vs. FC Twente on Wednesday.
- Sacha Kljestan started, played 90 minutes, received a yellow card and had an ASSIST in RSC Anderlecht's 4-1 win vs. KAA Gent in the Pro League playoffs on Wednesday.
- Mikkel Diskerud started and played 76 minutes in KAA Gent's 4-1 loss vs. RSC Anderlecht in the Pro League playoffs on Wednesday.
What do you think of these performances?
Share your thoughts below.