The timing could not be worse for Jozy Altidore.
With three friendlies and a pair of World Cup qualifiers on the horizon for the U.S. national team and his club in a fight for a place in Europe next season, Altidore was forced to exit AZ Alkmaar's 1-1 draw with NEC in the first half with an apparent head injury. According to game reports from the Netherlands, Altidore was pushed into advertisement boards on the side of the field by NEC defender Kevin Conboy, hit his head and was knocked out. There has been no definitive word on his condition, and the severity of the injury and how long he might be out are not yet known.
While Altidore, who has scored 19 goals in all competitions, has relished his move to a new club this season, the same cannot be said for Alejandro Bedoya, but the U.S. midfielder finally got on the scoresheet in a rare appearance for Rangers. Bedoya scored the final goal in Rangers' 5-0 thrashing of Dundee United off a feed from Maurice Edu to open his account after moving from Swedish side Orebro in August.
Here is how Altidore, Bedoya and other Americans Abroad did on Wednesday:
- Brad Friedel started, played 90 minutes and made four saves in Tottenham's 4-1 win over Bolton.
- Tim Ream started and played 90 minutes in Bolton's 4-1 loss to Tottenham.
- Charlie Davies dressed but did not play in Sochaux's 2-1 loss to Ajaccio.
- Alejandro Bedoya came off the bench, played 15 minutes and scored a GOAL in Rangers' 5-0 win over Dundee United.
- Carlos Bocanegra started and played 90 minutes for Rangers.
- Maurice Edu started, played 90 minutes, received a yellow card and had an ASSIST for Rangers.
- Mix Diskerud came off the bench and played 10 minutes in Gent's 1-0 loss to Anderlecht.
- Sacha Kljestan came off the bench and played 10 minutes in Anderlecht's 1-0 win over Gent.
- Jozy Altidore started, played 34 minutes and exited with an injury in AZ Alkmaar's 1-1 draw with NEC.
- Michael Parkhurst started and played 90 minutes in FC Nordsjaelland's 1-0 win over FC Copenhagen.
What do you make of Altidore's injury? What forwards would you want Jurgen Klinsmann to call in if Altidore cannot compete in the upcoming U.S. matches? Happy to see Bedoya get on the board?
Share your thoughts below.