photo by Howard C. Smith/ISIphotos.com
By FRANCO PANIZO
DaMarcus Beasley had one of the better performances this weekend, but even he endured a bit of a topsy-turvy outing in a subpar weekend for the Americans Abroad.
Playing a week after suffering an injury, Beasley started and went the distance in Puebla's 3-1 defeat to Toluca on Sunday. He provided one of Puebla's more constant threats in the match, picking up a handful of fouls, getting a shot on frame and nearly setting up one of his teammates for a goal. But he was also whistled for a handball in the second half and that paved the way for Toluca to score the insurance goal on the ensuing play.
Michael Orozco Fiscal scored the lone Americans Abroad goal this weekend, netting the equalizer in San Luis' 2-1 loss to Cruz Azul. But even he did not have his best showing, as he played a part in both of Cruz Azul's goals. Orozco Fiscal allowed his man to score the opener and he was also beaten to the header that set up the winner in the final minutes of the match.
Things were even worse for Jose Torres. The U.S. men's national team midfielder was ejected during Pachuca's 3-0 loss to Atlas on Saturday after picking up a second yellow card in the second half for dissent. Torres had been cautioned just before halftime but he let his emotions get the best of him in the 68th minute, leaving Pachuca with nine men (they had already had a player sent off a minute earlier) and further hindering their chances of overturning a game that at that point was only 1-0.
Here's how the Americans Abroad did this weekend:
- Sacha Kljestan dressed but did not play in RSC Anderlecht's 1-1 draw vs. Kortrijk on Saturday.
- Eugene Starikov did not dress in Zenit St. Petersburg's 2-0 win vs. Dinamo Moscow on Saturday.
- Terrence Boyd started and played 90 minutes in Rapid Vienna's 1-0 win vs. Wiener Neustadt on Saturday.
- Michael Parkhurst started, played 78 minutes and received a yellow card in FC Nordsjaelland's 1-1 draw vs. Odense BK on Sunday.
- Clarence Goodson and Brondby IF play Silkeborg IF on Monday.
- Conor O'Brien started and played 90 minutes in SonderjyskE's 2-1 win vs. Esbjerg on Saturday.
- Charlie Davies came off the bench and played 19 minutes in Randers' 2-1 win vs. AGF Aarhus on Sunday.
- Samuel Petrone did not dress in Mjallby AIF's 1-0 loss vs. AIK on Sunday.
- Brian Span dressed but did not play in Djurgardens IF's 0-0 draw vs. Elfsborg on Sunday.
- Josh Gatt did not dress in Molde FK's 1-1 draw vs. Lillestrom on Saturday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Steve Clark started and played 90 minutes in Honefoss BK's 3-2 win vs. Haugesund on Sunday.
- Sean Cunningham started and played 90 minutes in Stabaek IF's 3-1 loss vs. Aalesund on Sunday.
- Ricardo Clark did not dress for Stabaek IF.
- Jose Torres started, played 68 minutes and was SENT OFF after receiving two yellow cards in Pachuca's 3-0 loss vs. Atlas on Saturday.
- Herculez Gomez started, played 58 minutes and received a yellow card in Santos Laguna's 1-0 win vs. Chivas de Guadalajara on Sunday.
- DaMarcus Beasley started and played 90 minutes in Puebla's 3-1 loss vs. Toluca on Sunday.
- Sonny Guadarrama dressed but did not play in Atlante's 2-1 loss vs. Tigres UANL on Saturday.
- Jonathan Bornstein dressed but did not play in Tigres UANL's 2-1 win vs. Atlante on Saturday.
- Michael Orozco Fiscal started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in San Luis' 2-1 loss vs. Cruz Azul on Saturday.
- Edgar Castillo started and played 90 minutes in Club Tijuana's 4-0 loss vs. Leon on Friday.
- Joe Corona started and played 55 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Greg Garza dressed but did not play for Club Tijuana.
- Ventura Alvarado did not dress in Club America's 4-2 win vs. Jaguares de Chiapas on Saturday.
What do you think of these performances? Disappointed by this weekend's outings? Thinking Beasley should get called into the U.S. men's national team friendly in Mexico next month?
Share your thoughts below.