photo by John Todd/ISIphotos.com
By FRANCO PANIZO
FC Nordsjaelland may have routed Silkeborg IF in their match this weekend, but Michael Parkhurst was at the front and center to helping them cruise to victory.
Parkhurst played a vital part in Nordsjaelland's early success in their 6-1 win on Saturday, setting up the opener from the right flank in the third minute before scoring the eventual winner three minutes later. Parkhurst's goal was his first of the season and it came when he got on the end of a long ball and one-timed it into the back of the net.
Jozy Altidore and Chad Barrett also made impacts for their respective clubs. Altidore opened the Eredivisie campaign by scoring both of AZ Alkmaar's goals in a 2-2 road draw with reigning Dutch champions Ajax. Barrett, meanwhile, had a pair of assists in Valerenga's 3-1 win over Odd Grenland, his second game with the Norwegian club.
Mix Diskerud did not score or set up any goals, but he did make his debut for his new club, Rosenborg BK. Diskerud came off the bench and played 28 minutes in Rosenborg's 3-0 victory against Sogndal, just days after joining the club from Stabaek IF.
Here's how the Americans Abroad did this weekend:
Capital One Cup
- Frank Simek dressed but did not play in Carlisle United's 1-0 win vs. Accrington Stanley on Saturday.
- Robbie Rogers did not dress in Leeds United's 4-0 win vs. Shrewsbury Town on Saturday.
- Robbie Findley and Nottingham Forest play Fleetwood Town on Monday.
- Alfredo Morales did not dress in Hertha Berlin's 3-1 loss vs. FSV Frankfurt on Sunday.
- John Anthony Brooks started and played 90 minutes for Hertha Berlin.
- Andrew Wooten did not dress in Kaiserslautern's 2-1 win vs. VfR Aalen on Friday.
- Jozy Altidore started, played 84 minutes and scored TWO GOALS in AZ Alkmaar's 2-2 draw vs. Ajax Amsterdam on Sunday.
- Sacha Kljestan came off the bench and played 24 minutes in RSC Anderlecht's 3-0 win vs. Cercle Brugge on Sunday.
- Eugene Starikov did not dress in Zenit St. Petersburg's 5-0 win vs. Spartak Moscow on Saturday.
- Terrence Boyd started, played 51 minutes and received a yellow card in Rapid Vienna's 2-0 win vs. FC Red Bull Salzburg on Sunday.
- Michael Parkhurst started, played 90 minutes, scored a GOAL and had an ASSIST in FC Nordsjaelland's 6-1 win vs. Silkeborg IF on Saturday. You can see the goal and assist here.
- Clarence Goodson did not dress in Brondby IF's 1-0 loss vs. SonderjyskE on Sunday.
- Conor O'Brien started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in SonderjyskE's 1-0 win vs. Brondby IF on Sunday.
- Charlie Davies and Randers FC play Esbjerg on Monday.
- Alejandro Bedoya did not dress in Helsingborgs IF's 7-2 win vs. Kalmar FF on Sunday.
- Brian Span dressed but did not play in Djurgardens IF's 1-0 win vs. Gefle IF on Friday.
- Josh Gatt did not dress in Molde FK's 1-0 win vs. Aalesund on Sunday. He is recovering from a muscle injury.
- Steve Clark started and played 90 minutes in Honefoss BK's 2-2 draw vs. Lillestrom on Sunday.
- Mix Diskerud came off the bench and played 28 minutes in Rosenborg BK's 3-0 win vs. Sogndal on Sunday.
- Sean Cunningham did not dress in Stabaek IF's 2-1 win vs. Sandnes Ulf on Sunday.
- Chad Barrett started, played 78 minutes and had TWO ASSISTS in Valerenga's 3-1 win vs. Odd Grenland on Friday.
- Jose Torres started and played 45 minutes in Pachuca's 2-2 draw vs. Club Tijuana on Saturday.
- Herculez Gomez started, played 55 minutes and recevied a yellow card Santos Laguna's 3-0 loss vs. Leon on Friday.
- DaMarcus Beasley started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Puebla's 1-0 loss vs. Cruz Azul on Sunday.
- Sonny Guadarrama did not dress in Atlante's 2-1 win vs. Jaguares de Chiapas on Friday.
- Jonathan Bornstein did not dress in Tigres UANL's 2-2 draw vs. Queretaro on Saturday.
- Michael Orozco Fiscal started and played 85 minutes in San Luis' 1-1 draw vs. Monterrey on Saturday.
- Edgar Castillo started and played 90 minutes in Club Tijuana's 2-2 draw vs. Pachuca on Saturday.
- Joe Corona started and played 90 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Greg Garza did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Ventura Alvarado dressed but did not play in Club America's 1-1 draw vs. Atlas on Saturday.
What do you think of these performances? Think Parkhurst should have been called up for the United States' friendly against Mexico? Do you see Altidore scoring more this season than he did in the last one?
Share your thoughts below.