photo by John Todd/ISIphotos.com
By FRANCO PANIZO
For the second time in four days, TSG 1899 Hoffenheim scored three goals en route to picking up three points and for the second time in four days, Fabian Johnson accounted for one of those tallies.
Having netted in Hoffenheim's 3-1 win over Hannover 96 on Sunday, Johnson once again contributed to the club's cause by capping the scoring in Hoffenheim's 3-0 victory against VfB Stuttgart on Wednesday. The goal, Johnson's second of the season, came on a rebound after the U.S. men's national team defender had set up a teammate with a quality pass in front of goal and the deft finish helped Hoffenheim continue to climb out of the hole they put themselves in at the beginning of the season.
Johnson was not the only German-American to find the back of the net during the busy midweek action. The controversial Timmy Chandler scored his first goal of the Bundesliga campaign in FC Nurnberg's 4-1 loss to Hannover 96 on Wednesday, hitting a left-footed shot that was mishandled by Hannover goalkeeper Ron-Robert Zieler.
Clint Dempsey also saw time on Wednesday, earning another nod from Tottenham Hotspur manager Andre Villas-Boas. Dempsey received his third straight start and played 75 minutes for Spurs in their 3-0 win against Carlisle United in the Capital One Cup on Wednesday, another sign that he is settling in well with his new team.
More good news came out of Germany on Tuesday, as former U.S. Under-23 men's national team winger Joe Gyau made his St Pauli debut by coming off the bench and playing 45 minutes in a 1-0 loss to VfR Aalen. The cameo for Gyau's loan club marked the first league game appearance in his career.
Here's how the Americans Abroad fared during the midweek action:
- Tim Howard dressed but did not play in Everton's 2-1 loss vs. Leeds United in the third round of the Capital One Cup on Tuesday.
- Clint Dempsey started and played 75 minutes in Tottenham Hotspur's 3-0 win vs. Carlisle United in the third round of the Capital One Cup on Wednesday.
- Brad Friedel did not dress for Tottenham Hotspur.
- Frank Simek started and played 90 minutes in Carlisle United's 3-0 loss vs. Tottenham Hotspur in the third round of the Capital One Cup on Wednesday.
- Brad Guzan dressed but did not play in Aston Villa's 4-2 extra-time win vs. Manchester City in the third round of the Capital One Cup on Tuesday.
- Eric Lichaj came off the bench and played 34 minutes for Aston Villa.
- Michael Bradley did not dress in AS Roma's 1-1 draw vs. Sampdoria on Wednesday.
- Jermaine Jones did not dress in Schalke 04's 3-0 win vs. Mainz on Tuesday.
- Steve Cherundolo started and played 90 minutes in Hannover 96's 4-1 win vs. FC Nurnberg on Wednesday.
- Timmy Chandler started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in FC Nurnberg's 4-1 loss vs. Hannover 96 on Wednesday.
- Fabian Johnson started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in TSG 1899 Hoffenheim's 3-0 win vs. VfB Stuttgart on Wednesday. You can see the goal here.
- Danny Williams started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card for TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.
- David Yelldell did not dress in Bayer Leverkusen's 3-1 win vs. FC Augsburg on Wednesday.
- Joe Gyau came off the bench and played 45 minutes in St Pauli's 1-0 loss vs. VfR Aalen on Tuesday.
- Andrew Wooten dressed but did not play in SV Sandhausen's 2-1 loss vs. SSV Jahn Regensburg on Tuesday.
- John Anthony Brooks came off the bench and played five minutes in Hertha Berlin's 1-0 win vs. Dynamo Dresden on Wednesday.
- Alfredo Morales did not dress for Hertha Berlin.
- Terrence Boyd started, played 87 minutes and had an ASSIST in Rapid Vienna's 4-1 win vs. Allerheiligen in the second round of the OFB-Samsung-Cup on Wednesday.
- Michael Parkhurst did not dress in FC Nordsjaelland's 3-1 extra-time win vs. Svebolle in the second round of the DBU Pokalen on Tuesday.
- Charlie Davies started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Randers FC's 2-1 win vs. Naestved in the second round of the DBU Pokalen on Tuesday.
- Aron Johannsson did not dress in AGF Aarhus' 3-0 win vs. Aarhus Fremad in the second round of the DBU Pokalen on Tuesday.
- Clarence Goodson did not dress in Brondby IF's 3-0 win vs. B 93 in the second round of the DBU Pokalen on Wednesday.
- Brian Span came off the bench and played eight minutes in Djurgardens IF's 2-1 loss vs. Atvidabergs FF on Wednesday.
- Josh Gatt dressed but did not play in Molde FK's 2-1 loss vs. Tromso in the semifinals of NM Cupen on Wednesday.
What did you think of Johnson's latest goal? Impressed with Dempsey starting a third straight game for Tottenham? Do you see Gyau breaking into St. Pauli's starting eleven soon?
Share your thoughts below.