By FRANCO PANIZO
Andrew Wooten may not yet be a full-time starter for SV Sandhausen, but he certainly made a case for himself with his two-goal performance on Wednesday.
Wooten netted a brace that included the equalizer and winner in the 2. Bundesliga club’s 3-1 victory against Energie Cottbus. The 23-year-old Wooten scored the tying goal in the match on a penalty kick in the 59th minute and he knocked in his own rebound for the winner after having another spot kick attempt saved eight minutes later. Wooten now has three goals in his last four games for Sandhausen.
Wooten was not the only young forward to enjoy some success in Germany’s second division. Bobby Wood, who made his official return from troublesome knee injuries that sidelined him for more than a year this past weekend, earned his first career start in TSV 1860 Munich’s 1-0 win over SC Paderborn 07 on Saturday. The 20-year-old Wood went the distance in the match, which will surely give him more confidence going forward.
Sebastian Lletget did not make his first start, but the former U.S. Under-23 Men’s National Team midfielder did reach a milestone by dressing for the first time in his career. Lletget was on the bench for West Ham United in their 1-0 loss to Manchester United on Wednesday, and the 20-year-old may have made his professional debut had the Hammers not conceded in the first minute of the encounter.
Here’s how the Americans Abroad performed during the midweek action:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made two saves in Everton’s 1-1 draw vs. Arsenal on Wednesday.
- Brad Friedel dressed but did not play in Tottenham’s 2-1 win vs. Liverpool on Wednesday.
- Clint Dempsey started and played 64 minutes for Tottenham.
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes and made three saves in Aston Villa’s 1-0 win vs. Reading on Tuesday.
- Eric Lichaj came off the bench and played 66 minutes for Aston Villa.
- Geoff Cameron started and played 90 minutes in Stoke City’s 2-1 win vs. Newcastle United on Wednesday.
- Maurice Edu did not dress for Stoke City.
- Sebastian Lletget dressed but did not play in West Ham United’s 1-0 loss vs. Manchester United on Wednesday.
- Tim Ream dressed but did not play in Bolton Wanderers’ 2-1 win vs. Blackburn Rovers on Wednesday.
- Stuart Holden did not dress for Bolton Wanderers. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Jonathan Spector started and played 90 minutes in Birmingham City’s 1-1 draw vs. Blackpool on Tuesday.
- Will Packwood did not dress for Birmingham City.
- Conor Doyle did not dress in Derby County’s 1-1 draw vs. Cardiff City on Tuesday. He is recovering from an appendix injury.
- Zak Whitbread started and played 90 minutes in Leicester City’s 1-0 loss vs. Leeds United on Tuesday.
- Robbie Findley did not dress in Nottingham Forest’s 3-1 loss vs. Ipswich Town on Tuesday.
- Oguchi Onyewu started and played 90 minutes in Malaga CF’s 1-0 loss vs. Cacereno in the second leg of their Round of 32 series on Tuesday. Malaga advanced on 4-4 aggregate due to away goals.
- Steve Cherundolo started and played 90 minutes in Hannover 96’s 2-0 win vs. SpVgg Greuther Furth on Tuesday.
- Jermaine Jones started and played 90 minutes in Schalke 04’s 3-1 loss vs. Hamburg SV on Tuesday.
- Fabian Johnson started and played 90 minutes in TSG 1899 Hoffenheim’s 4-2 loss vs. FC Nurnberg on Wednesday.
- Danny Williams started and played 90 minutes for TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.
- Timmy Chandler started and played 58 minutes in FC Nurnberg’s 4-2 win vs. TSG 1899 Hoffenheim on Wednesday.
- David Yelldell did not dress in Bayer Leverkusen’s 4-1 loss vs. Werder Bremen on Wednesday.
- John Anthony Brooks and Hertha Berlin play FC Cologne on Thursday afternoon.
- Alfredo Morales and Hertha Berlin play FC Cologne on Thursday afternoon.
- Andrew Wooten started, played 90 minutes before being substituted in stoppage time and scored TWO GOALS in SV Sandhausen’s 3-1 win vs. Energie Cottbus on Wednesday.
- Joe Gyau came off the bench and played 31 minutes in St Pauli’s 1-0 loss vs. TSV Eintracht Braunschweig on Wednesday.
- Bobby Wood started and played 90 minutes in TSV 1860 Munich’s 1-0 win vs. SC Paderborn 07 on Tuesday.
- Edgar Castillo and Club Tijuana play Toluca in the first leg of the Liga MX finals on Thursday night.
- Joe Corona and Club Tijuana play Toluca in the first leg of the Liga MX finals on Thursday night.
- Greg Garza and Club Tijuana play Toluca in the first leg of the Liga MX finals on Thursday night.
What do you think of these performances? Impressed with Wooten’s two-goal performance? Do you see Lletget making his pro debut in the near future?
Share your thoughts below.