By FRANCO PANIZO
Things just keep getting better and better for Bobby Wood.
A few months removed from having faced an uncertain future because of problematic knee injuries, Wood continued his comeback by scoring his first professional goal in 1860 Munich’s 1-1 draw with VfR Aalen on Friday. The former U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team striker rescued Munich from defeat by unleashing a venomous shot from distance after dribbling into the final third in the second half, the latest achievement in a week that also saw him make his season debut as a substitute and earn his first professional start.
Wood was not the only forward to the find the back of the net. Terrence Boyd continued his tear of the Austrian Bundesliga with a one-goal, two-assist performance in Rapid Vienna’s 4-3 victory over SV Josko Ried. Boyd now has eight league goals and 12 across all competitions this season.
Clint Dempsey did not get on the scoresheet for Tottenham, but he did deliver an assist in his first match against his former club, Fulham. Dempsey slipped a ball through a tight spot to Jermaine Defoe in the 77th minute to cap the scoring in Spurs’ 3-0 triumph.
Here’s how the Americans Abroad fared this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made four saves in Everton’s 1-1 draw vs. Manchester City on Saturday.
- Brad Friedel dressed but did not play in Tottenham’s 3-0 win vs. Fulham on Saturday.
- Clint Dempsey started, played 90 minutes and had an ASSIST for Tottenham.
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes and made seven saves in Aston Villa’s 1-1 draw vs. Queens Park Rangers on Saturday.
- Eric Lichaj started and played 90 minutes for Aston Villa.
- Geoff Cameron started and played 90 minutes in Stoke City’s 1-0 win vs. West Bromwich Albion on Saturday.
- Maurice Edu did not dress for Stoke City.
- Sebastian Lletget did not dress in West Ham United’s 3-1 win vs. Chelsea on Saturday.
- Tim Ream dressed but did not play in Bolton Wanderers’ 2-1 loss vs. Ipswich Town on Saturday.
- Stuart Holden did not dress for Bolton Wanderers. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Jonathan Spector started and played 90 minutes in Birmingham City’s 3-2 win vs. Middlesbrough on Friday.
- Will Packwood did not dress for Birmingham City.
- Conor Doyle did not dress in Derby County’s 4-1 loss vs. Leicester City on Saturday. He is recovering from an appendix injury.
- Zak Whitbread started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in Leicester City’s 4-1 win vs. Derby County on Saturday.
- Robbie Findley dressed but did not play in Nottingham Forest’s 2-1 loss vs. Hull City on Saturday.
- Frank Simek started and played 45 minutes in Carlisle United’s 3-1 loss vs. AFC Bournemouth in the FA Cup on Saturday.
- Robbie Rogers and Stevenage did not play this weekend.
- Mike Grella and Scunthorpe United did not play this weekend.
- Oguchi Onyewu did not dress in Malaga CF’s 1-0 loss vs. Getafe on Saturday.
- Carlos Bocanega did not dress in Racing Santander’s 4-3 loss vs. Almeria on Sunday. He is recovering from a hamstring injury.
- Michael Bradley started and played 90 minutes in AS Roma’s 3-1 win vs. Siena on Sunday.
- Steve Cherundolo started and played 90 minutes in Hannover 96’s 2-1 loss vs. Mainz on Saturday.
- Jermaine Jones started and played 90 minutes in Schalke 04’s 1-1 draw vs. Borussia Moenchengladbach on Saturday.
- Fabian Johnson started and played 90 minutes in TSG 1899 Hoffenheim’s 4-1 loss vs. Werder Bremen on Sunday.
- Danny Williams started and played 90 minutes for TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.
- Timmy Chandler started and played 90 minutes in FC Nurnberg’s 1-0 loss vs. Bayer Leverkusen on Saturday.
- David Yelldell did not dress in Bayer Leverkusen’s 1-0 win vs. FC Nurnberg on Saturday.
- John Anthony Brooks and Hertha Berlin play Energie Cottbus on Monday.
- Alfredo Morales and Herha Berlin play Energie Cottbus on Monday.
- Andrew Wooten came off the bench, played five minutes and received a yellow card in SV Sandhausen’s 2-2 draw vs. FC Erzgebirge Aue on Saturday.
- Joe Gyau dressed but did not play in St Pauli’s 1-0 win vs. Kaiserslautern on Saturday.
- Bobby Wood started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in TSV 1860 Munich’s 1-1 draw vs. VfR Aalen on Friday.
- Jozy Altidore started and played 90 minutes in AZ Alkmaar’s 2-1 loss vs. FC Utrecht on Sunday.
- Tony Taylor and G.D. Estoril Praia did not play this weekend.
- Caleb Patterson-Sewell and Vitoria Setubal did not play this weekend.
- Sacha Kljestan started and played 90 minutes in RSC Anderlecht’s 2-1 win vs. Cercle Brugge KSV on Saturday.
- Eugene Starikov dressed but did not play in FK Rostov’s 2-0 win vs. PFK Samara Kryliya Sovetov on Sunday.
- Terrence Boyd started, played 90 minutes, had TWO ASSISTS and scored a GOAL in Rapid Vienna’s 4-3 win vs. SV Josko Ried on Saturday.
- Michael Parkhurst started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in FC Nordsjaelland’s 3-0 win vs. Brondby IF on Sunday.
- Clarence Goodson did not dress in Brondby IF’s 3-0 loss vs. FC Nordsjaelland on Sunday.
- Conor O’Brien started and played 90 minutes in SonderjyskE’s 3-1 win vs. AC Horsens on Friday.
- Charlie Davies did not dress in Randers FC’s 2-0 loss vs. FC Copenhagen on Sunday. He was serving a one-game suspension due to the red card he received last week.
- Edgar Castillo started and played 90 minutes in Club Tijuana’s 2-0 win vs. Toluca in the second leg of the finals on Sunday. Club Tijuana won the series on aggregate, 4-1.
- Joe Corona started and played 67 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Greg Garza did not dress for Club Tijuana.
What do you think of these performances? Impressed with how well Wood has played recently? Do you see a bigger club swooping in for Boyd during the summer transfer window?
Share your thoughts below.