By FRANCO PANIZO
Tim Howard and Everton finally put an end to their four-game winless skid, and they did so in dramatic fashion.
Everton pulled off a late comeback against Tottenham on Sunday, grabbing a 2-1 victory after scoring twice in final moments. Steve Pienaar punished his former club and sparked the the Toffees’ rally with an equalizer in the 90th minute and Nikica Jelavic found the winner in stoppage time. Everton initially trailed in the match after Clint Dempsey, who is finding his feet with Spurs, beat Howard with a looping shot from distance for his third goal in league play this season.
Terrence Boyd was another player who found the back of the net on Sunday, scoring the winner in Rapid Vienna’s 2-1 triumph over FC Wacker Innsbruck. Boyd continued his recent good run of form by impressively connecting on a sliding volley, which gave him nine goals in league play and 13 across all competitions.
It was not all good news this weekend. Jermaine Jones set up a goal for Schalke for his third assist of the Bundesliga campaign (fourth in all competitions), but he was also sent off with a straight red in the 73rd minute of the club’s 3-1 loss to VfB Stuttgart. Jones made a tackle from behind that was deemed dangerous, and it resulted in the first straight red ejection of his career.
Here’s how the Americans Abroad did this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made four saves in Everton’s 2-1 win vs. Tottenham on Sunday.
- Brad Friedel dressed but did not play in Tottenham’s 2-1 loss vs. Everton on Sunday.
- Clint Dempsey started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL for Tottenham.
- Brad Guzan started and played 90 minutes in Aston Villa’s 0-0 draw vs. Stoke City on Saturday.
- Eric Lichaj started and played 90 minutes for Aston Villa.
- Geoff Cameron started and played 90 minutes in Stoke City’s 0-0 draw vs. Aston Villa on Saturday.
- Maurice Edu did not dress for Stoke City.
- Sebastian Lletget did not dress in West Ham United’s 3-2 loss vs. Liverpool on Sunday.
- Tim Ream came off the bench and played five minutes in Bolton Wanderers’ 2-2 draw vs. Huddersfield Town on Saturday.
- Stuart Holden did not dress for Bolton Wanderers. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Jonathan Spector started and played 45 minutes in Birmingham City’s 1-0 loss vs. Wolverhamtpon Wanderers on Saturday.
- Will Packwood dressed but did not play for Birmingham City.
- Conor Doyle dressed but did not play in Derby County’s 3-1 win vs. Leeds United on Saturday.
- Zak Whitbread started and played 90 minutes in Leicester City’s 2-2 draw vs. Barnsley on Saturday.
- Robbie Findley did not dress in Nottingham Forest’s 2-0 win vs. Burnley on Saturday.
- Frank Simek did not dress in Carlisle United’s 3-1 loss vs. Sheffield United on Saturday.
- Robbie Rogers came off the bench and played eight minutes in Stevenage’s 2-0 win vs. Hartlepool United on Saturday.
- Mike Grella started, played 82 minutes and missed a penalty kick in Scunthorpe United’s 2-1 loss vs. AFC Bournemouth on Saturday.
- Oguchi Onyewu did not dress in Malaga CF’s 4-0 win vs. Granada on Saturday.
- Carlos Bocanega did not dress in Racing Santander’s 4-0 loss vs. Real Madrid Castilla on Sunday. He is recovering from a hamstring injury.
- Michael Bradley started and played 90 minutes in AS Roma’s 4-2 win vs. Fiorentina on Saturday.
- Steve Cherundolo started and played 90 minutes in Hannover 96’s 3-2 win vs. Bayer Leverkusen on Sunday.
- Jermaine Jones started, played 73 minutes, had an ASSIST and received a RED CARD in Schalke 04’s 3-1 loss vs. VfB Stuttgart on Saturday.
- Fabian Johnson started and played 90 minutes in TSG 1899 Hoffenheim’s 2-0 loss vs. Hamburg SV on Friday.
- Danny Williams started and played 67 minutes for TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.
- Timmy Chandler started and played 90 minutes in FC Nurnberg’s 2-0 win vs. Fortuna Dusseldorf on Saturday.
- David Yelldell dressed but did not play in Bayer Leverkusen’s 3-2 loss vs. Hannover 96 on Sunday.
- John Anthony Brooks started and played 90 minutes in Hertha Berlin’s 1-0 win vs. SC Paderborn 07 on Saturday.
- Alfredo Morales did not dress for Herha Berlin.
- Andrew Wooten started and played 90 minutes in SV Sandhausen’s 3-1 loss vs. FSV Frankfurt on Friday.
- Joe Gyau dressed but did not play in St Pauli’s 3-0 loss vs. FC Erzgebirge Aue on Sunday.
- Bobby Wood started and played 90 minutes in TSV 1860 Munich’s 1-1 draw vs. SSV Jahn Regensburg on Sunday.
- Jozy Altidore started and played 90 minutes in AZ Alkmaar’s 0-0 draw vs. Willem II Tilburg on Saturday.
- Tony Taylor dressed but did not play in G.D. Estoril Praia’s 3-0 win vs. Vitoria Setubal on Friday.
- Caleb Patterson-Sewell dressed but did not play in Vitoria Setubal’s 3-0 loss vs. G.D. Estoril Praia on Friday.
- Sacha Kljestan started, played 90 minutes and had an ASSIST in RSC Anderlecht’s 5-0 win vs. RAEC Bergen Mons on Saturday.
- Eugene Starikov came off the bench and played 37 minutes in FK Rostov’s 3-2 loss vs. Krasnodar on Friday.
- Terrence Boyd started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in Rapid Vienna’s 2-1 win vs. FC Wacker Innsbruck on Sunday.
- Michael Parkhurst started and played 72 minutes in FC Nordsjaelland’s 4-1 loss vs. FC Copenhagen on Sunday.
- Clarence Goodson started, played 90 minutes, received a yellow card and had an ASSIST in Brondby IF’s 2-2 draw vs. SonderjyskE on Friday.
- Conor O’Brien started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in SonderjyskE’s 2-2 draw vs. Brondby IF on Friday.
- Charlie Davies did not dress in Randers FC’s 2-1 win vs. Esbjerg on Saturday.
What do you think of these performances? Impressed with Howard and Everton’s win? Who’s in better form right now, Dempsey or Boyd? Surprised Jones’ straight red ejection this week was the first of his career?
Share your thoughts below.