Photo by ISIphotos.com
By FRANCO PANIZO
Tim Ream and Bolton Wanderers were in need of a confidence boost heading into 2013, and they might have just gotten it on Saturday.
Bolton ended the year on a winning note, defeating Birmingham City, 3-1. Ream started and went the distance in defense for a second consecutive game for the Trotters, who are now in 14th place in the Championship and only five points shy of seventh.
Other good news came out of Tottenham’s 2-1 win over Sunderland on Saturday, as Clint Dempsey made his return from injury. Dempsey came off the bench and played 14 minutes for a Spurs side that currently sits in fourth place in the Premiership table.
It was not all good news, however. Maurice Edu failed to dress for Stoke City again despite Geoff Cameron being suspended due to yellow card accumulation, and Brad Guzan and Aston Villa continued to leak goals in a 3-0 loss to Wigan Athletic.
Here’s how the Americans Abroad performed this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made three saves in Everton’s 2-1 loss vs. Chelsea on Sunday.
- Brad Friedel dressed but did not play in Tottenham’s 2-1 win vs. Sunderland on Saturday.
- Clint Dempsey came off the bench and played 14 minutes for Tottenham.
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes and made two saves in Aston Villa’s 3-0 loss vs. Wigan Athletic on Saturday.
- Eric Lichaj started and played 64 minutes for Aston Villa.
- Geoff Cameron did not dress in Stoke City’s 3-3 draw vs. Southampton on Saturday. He was suspended due to yellow card accumulation.
- Maurice Edu did not dress for Stoke City.
- Sebastian Lletget did not dress in West Ham United’s 1-0 loss vs. Reading on Saturday.
- Tim Ream started and played 90 minutes in Bolton Wanderers’ 3-1 win vs. Birmingham City on Saturday.
- Stuart Holden did not dress for Bolton Wanderers.
- Jonathan Spector started and played 59 minutes in Birmingham City’s 3-1 loss vs. Bolton Wanderers on Saturday.
- Will Packwood did not dress for Birmingham City.
- Conor Doyle dressed but did not play in Derby County’s 1-1 draw vs. Charlton Athletic on Saturday.
- Zak Whitbread did not dress in Leicester City’s 1-0 win vs. Burnley on Saturday.
- Robbie Findley did not dress in Nottingham Forest’s 2-2 draw vs. Crystal Palace on Saturday.
- Frank Simek started and played 90 minutes in Carlisle United’s 2-1 win vs. Bury on Saturday.
- Robbie Rogers and Stevenage’s match vs. Notts County on Saturday was postponed due to inclement weather.
- Mike Grella dressed but did not play in Scunthorpe United’s 1-0 loss vs. Tranmere Rovers on Saturday.
What do you think of these performances? Think Ream and Bolton will string together some wins at the start of 2013? Should Edu make a move during the winter transfer window?
Share your thoughts below.