By FRANCO PANIZO
Tim Howard and Everton started 2013 just the way they had hoped for: with three points.
The Toffees moved into fifth place in the Premiership table with 36 points after defeating Newcastle United, 2-1, on Wednesday. Everton went down after just two minutes, but responded with a goal on each side of halftime to grab a big road victory. Howard preserved the victory late, denying Davide Santon in the 85th minute with one of his four saves in the match.
Tottenham also started the year with a win, and Clint Dempsey contributed to Spurs’ 3-1 triumph over Reading with his first goal at White Hart Lane on Tuesday. Three minutes after coming off the bench, Dempsey took an ambitious shot from distance that deflected off a defender before soaring over Reading goalkeeper Adam Federici. The goal was Dempsey’s fourth of the season.
Here’s how the Americans Abroad who were in midweek action fared:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made four saves in Everton’s 2-1 win vs. Newcastle United on Wednesday.
- Brad Friedel dressed but did not play in Tottenham’s 3-1 win vs. Reading on Tuesday.
- Clint Dempsey came off the bench, played 14 minutes and scored a GOAL for Tottenham.
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes and made four saves in Aston Villa’s 2-2 draw vs. Swansea City on Tuesday.
- Eric Lichaj dressed but did not play for Aston Villa.
- Geoff Cameron started and played 90 minutes in Stoke City’s 3-0 loss vs. Manchester City on Tuesday.
- Maurice Edu did not dress for Stoke City.
- Sebastian Lletget dressed but did not play in West Ham United’s 2-1 win vs. Norwich City on Tuesday.
- Tim Ream started and played 90 minutes in Bolton Wanderers’ 1-0 loss vs. Leeds United on Tuesday.
- Stuart Holden did not dress for Bolton Wanderers.
- Jonathan Spector started and played 90 minutes in Birmingham City’s 1-0 loss vs. Cardiff City on Tuesday.
- Will Packwood started and played 77 minutes for Birmingham City.
- Conor Doyle dressed but did not play in Derby County’s 3-1 win vs. Middlesbrough on Tuesday.
- Zak Whitbread did not dress in Leicester City’s 6-1 win vs. Huddersfield Town on Tuesday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Robbie Findley did not dress in Nottingham Forest’s 3-0 loss vs. Blackburn Rovers on Tuesday.
- Frank Simek started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Carlisle United’s 1-0 loss vs. Crewe Alexandra on Tuesday.
- Robbie Rogers dressed but did not play in Stevenage’s 1-0 loss vs. Walsall on Tuesday.
- Mike Grella dressed but did not play in Scunthorpe United’s 2-2 draw vs. Oldham Athletic on Tuesday.
What do you think of these performances? Expecting Everton to finish in the top four in the Premiership this season? How many more goals do you see Dempsey scoring?
Share your thoughts below.