By FRANCO PANIZO
AS Roma are one step closer towards winning some hardware and reaching the 2013-14 UEFA Europa League, and Michael Bradley is a big reason as to why that is.
Roma were locked in a scoreless stalemate with Fiorentina and penalty kicks were looming in their Coppa Italia quarterfinals match on Wednesday, but Bradley stepped up to help give the Giallorossi a 1-0 extra-time victory by playing a part in setting up the winner. Bradley hit a slick but simple pass in behind the defense in the first half of extra-time, and it allowed Miralem Pjanic to hit a low cross to Mattia Destro for the game’s only goal. Bradley and Roma now move on to the semifinals of the competition, where they will meet Inter Milan in a two-legged series.
More good news came on Tuesday, as Stuart Holden completed his long road to recovery by making a cameo off the bench in Bolton Wanderers’ 2-0 FA Cup victory over Sunderland. Holden played the final 16 minutes of the match, a confidence boost for the midfielder who has spent much of the past two years rehabbing a problematic knee injury.
Here’s how the Americans Abroad who were in midweek action performed:
- Geoff Cameron started, played 120 minutes and received a yellow card in Stoke City’s 4-1 extra-time win vs. Crystal Palace in the FA Cup on Tuesday.
- Maurice Edu did not dress for Stoke City.
- Sebastian Lletget dressed but did not play in West Ham United’s 1-0 loss vs. Manchester United in the FA Cup on Wednesday.
- Tim Ream dressed but did not play in Bolton Wanderers’ 2-0 win vs. Sunderland in the FA Cup on Tuesday.
- Stuart Holden came off the bench and played 16 minutes for Bolton Wanderers.
- Jonathan Spector did not dress in Birmingham City’s 2-1 loss vs. Leeds United in the FA Cup on Tuesday. He is recovering from an ankle injury.
- Will Packwood did not dress for Birmingham City. He is recovering from a leg injury.
- Oguchi Onyewu dressed but did not play in Malaga CF’s 2-2 draw vs. Barcelona in Copa del Rey on Wednesday.
- Michael Bradley started, played 120 minutes and helped set up a goal in AS Roma’s 1-0 extra-time win vs. Fiorentina in Coppa Italia on Wednesday.
What do you think of these performances? Impressed by Bradley’s pass that helped initiate Roma’s winner? How much longer do you think it will take before Holden can start a match for Bolton?
Share your thoughts below.