By FRANCO PANIZO
Tim Ream and Bolton Wanderers were in a hole nine minutes into their game against Millwall, but rather than crumble the Trotters fought back to earn a draw in a subpar weekend for the Americans Abroad contingent.
Bolton earned a 1-1 draw versus Millwall on Saturday despite a poor start that saw Millwall go up early after a Ream pass partially led to a turnover before Zat Knight committed a foul in the penalty area. Bolton responded through a spot kick of their own before halftime, and Ream went the distance as the hosts moved to 8-10-9 on the season.
Michael Bradley and AS Roma were not as fortunate, as they suffered a 1-0 loss to Catania on Sunday. Bradley was involved in one of the match’s biggest moments, failing to convert on a shot from close range just before halftime. Roma have now lost both of their first two games of 2013.
Things were not much better Geoff Cameron and Stoke City. The Potters suffered a 4-0 loss to Chelsea on Saturday that included two own goals from Jonathan Walters, a result that dropped Stoke to 10th place.
Here’s how the Americans Abroad performed this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made three saves in Everton’s 0-0 draw vs. Swansea City on Saturday.
- Brad Friedel dressed but did not play in Tottenham’s 0-0 draw vs. Queens Park Rangers on Saturday.
- Clint Dempsey came off the bench and played 21 minutes for Tottenham.
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes and made three saves in Aston Villa’s 1-0 loss vs. Southampton on Saturday.
- Eric Lichaj dressed but did not play for Aston Villa.
- Geoff Cameron started and played 90 minutes in Stoke City’s 4-0 loss vs. Chelsea on Saturday.
- Maurice Edu did not dress for Stoke City.
- Sebastian Lletget did not dress in West Ham United’s 3-0 loss vs. Sunderland on Saturday.
- Tim Ream started and played 90 minutes in Bolton Wanderers’ 1-1 draw vs. Millwall on Saturday.
- Stuart Holden did not dress for Bolton Wanderers.
- Jonathan Spector came off the bench, played 45 minutes and received a yellow card in Birmingham City’s 2-0 win vs. Huddersfield Town on Saturday.
- Will Packwood did not dress for Birmingham City. He is recovering from a leg injury.
- Conor Doyle did not dress in Derby County’s 2-1 loss vs. Brighton & Hove Albion on Saturday.
- Zak Whitbread did not dress in Leicester City’s 4-0 win vs. Bristol City on Saturday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Robbie Findley did not dress in Nottingham Forest’s 2-1 win vs. Peterborough United on Saturday.
- Frank Simek started and played 90 minutes in Carlisle United’s 1-0 win vs. Coventry City on Sunday.
- Robbie Rogers did not dress in Stevenage’s 2-1 loss vs. Doncaster Rovers on Saturday.
- Mike Grella started and played 90 minutes in Scunthorpe United’s 2-1 win vs. Colchester United on Saturday.
- Oguchi Onyewu dressed but did not play in Malaga CF’s 3-1 loss vs. Barcelona on Sunday.
- Carlos Bocanega did not dress in Racing Santander’s 2-0 loss vs. Hercules on Sunday.
- Michael Bradley started and played 90 minutes in AS Roma’s 1-0 loss vs. Catania on Sunday.
- Tony Taylor and G.D. Estoril Praia play Beira Mar on Monday.
- Caleb Patterson-Sewell dressed but did not play in Vitoria Setubal’s 5-0 win vs. Moreirense on Sunday.
- Herculez Gomez started and played 90 minutes in Santos Laguna’s 2-0 win vs. Chivas de Guadalajara on Friday.
- Hector Joya did not dress for Santos Laguna.
- Jose Torres did not dress in Tigres UANL’s 3-1 win vs. Atlante on Sunday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Jonathan Bornstein dressed but did not play for Tigres UANL.
- Edgar Castillo started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Club Tijuana’s 1-0 win vs. Leon on Saturday.
- Joe Corona started and played 90 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Greg Garza did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- DaMarcus Beasley started and played 69 minutes in Puebla’s 1-1 draw vs. Toluca on Sunday.
- Michael Orozco Fiscal started and played 90 minutes for Puebla.
- Ventura Alvarado did not dress in Club America’s 2-0 win vs. Jaguares de Chiapas on Friday.
What do you think of these performances? Think Ream and Bolton will enjoy a better second half of the season? What has attributed to Roma’s struggles at the start of the year?
Share your thoughts below.