By FRANCO PANIZO
U.S. Men’s National Team fans should feel better about the Americans’ chances in Honduras on Wednesday after two key members of the squad returned to their clubs’ respective lineups this weekend.
Fabian Johnson and Jermaine Jones ended their spells on the sidelines on Saturday, putting in long shifts that should help convince U.S. head coach Jurgen Klinsamnn they are ready to battle Los Catrachos in Wednesday’s World Cup qualifier in San Pedro Sula. Johnson recovered from recent knee pains and went the distance in Hoffenheim’s 2-1 win over SC Freiburg while Jones returned from a three-game suspension and played 82 minutes as Schalke fell to SpVgg Greuther Furth, 2-1.
Maurice Edu also had a noteworthy performance, as he made his fourth straight start across all competitions for Bursaspor in a 1-1 tie with Super Lig-leaders Galatasaray on Saturday. Edu went the distance in the game, but could not help prevent Bursaspor from relinquishing their early 1-0 lead at home.
Here’s how the Americans Abroad did this weekend:
- Tim Howard started and played 90 minutes in Everton’s 3-3 draw vs. Aston Villa on Saturday.
- Brad Friedel dressed but did not play in Tottenham’s 1-0 win vs. West Bromwich Albion on Sunday.
- Clint Dempsey started and played 90 minutes for Tottenham.
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes and made five saves in Aston Villa’s 3-3 draw vs. Everton on Saturday.
- Eric Lichaj did not dress for Aston Villa.
- Geoff Cameron started and played 84 minutes in Stoke City’s 1-0 loss vs. Arsenal on Saturday.
- Brek Shea did not dress for Stoke City.
- Sebastian Lletget did not dress in West Ham United’s 1-0 win vs. Swansea City on Saturday.
- Tim Ream started and played 90 minutes in Bolton Wanderers’ 2-1 loss vs. Watford on Saturday.
- Stuart Holden did not dress for Bolton Wanderers.
- Jonathan Spector did not dress in Birmingham City’s 2-1 win vs. Nottingham Forest on Saturday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Will Packwood did not dress for Birmingham City. He is recovering from a leg injury.
- Conor Doyle dressed but did not played in Derby County’s 3-0 win vs. Huddersfield Town on Saturday.
- Zak Whitbread and Leceister City did not play this weekend.
- Frank Simek started and played 90 minutes in Carlisle United’s 1-0 win vs. Tranmere Rovers on Saturday.
- Mike Grella came off the bench and played 12 minutes in Scunthorpe United’s 1-0 loss vs. Crewe Alexandra on Saturday.
- Oguchi Onyewu dressed but did not play in Malaga CF’s 1-1 draw vs. Real Zaragoza on Sunday.
- Carlos Bocanega started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Racing Santander’s 2-1 win vs. Sporting Gijon on Saturday.
- Michael Bradley started and played 90 minutes in AS Roma’s 4-2 loss vs. Cagliari on Friday.
- Steve Cherundolo did not dress in Hannover 96’s 2-0 loss vs. Werder Bremen on Friday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Jermaine Jones started and played 82 minutes in Schalke 04’s 2-1 loss vs. SpVgg Greuther Furth on Saturday.
- Fabian Johnson started and played 90 minutes in TSG 1899 Hoffenheim’s 2-1 win vs. SC Freiburg on Saturday.
- Danny Williams came off the bench and played 14 minutes for TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.
- Timmy Chandler started and played 90 minutes in FC Nurnberg’s 2-1 win vs. Borussia Moenchengladbach on Sunday.
- David Yelldell did not dress in Bayer Leverkusen’s 3-2 loss vs. Borussia Dortmund on Sunday.
- Michael Parkhurst dressed but did not play in FC Augsburg’s 1-1 draw vs. VfL Wolfsburg on Saturday.
- John Anthony Brooks started and played 90 minutes in Hertha Berlin’s 5-1 win vs. SSV Jahn Regensburg on Sunday.
- Alfredo Morales did not dress for Hertha Berlin.
- Joe Gyau came off the bench and played one minute in St Pauli’s 0-0 draw vs. Energie Cottbus on Sunday.
- Andrew Wooten started and played 90 minutes in SV Sandhausen’s 3-1 loss vs. FC Union Berlin on Friday.
- Bobby Wood and TSV 1860 Munich play Kaiserslautern on Monday.
- Jozy Altidore started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in AZ Alkmaar’s 1-0 loss vs. FC Groningen on Saturday.
- Tony Taylor and G.D. Estoril Praia play Pacos de Ferreira on Monday.
- Caleb Patterson-Sewell dressed but did not play in Vitoria Setubal’s 3-0 loss vs. Benfica on Sunday.
- Maurice Edu started and played 90 minutes minutes in Bursaspor’s 1-1 draw vs. Galatasaray on Saturday.
- Sacha Kljestan started and played 69 minutes in RSC Anderlecht’s 2-2 draw vs. Standard Liege on Sunday.
- Herculez Gomez started, played 73 minutes and received a yellow card in Santos Laguna’s 0-0 draw vs. Pumas UNAM on Sunday.
- Hector Joya did not dress for Santos Laguna.
- Jose Torres started, played 82 minutes and received a yellow card in Tigres UANL’s 2-2 draw vs. Club Tijuana on Saturday.
- Jonathan Bornstein did not dress for Tigres UANL.
- Edgar Castillo started and played 90 minutes in Club Tijuana’s 2-2 draw vs. Tigres UANL on Saturday.
- Joe Corona started and played 69 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Greg Garza did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- DaMarcus Beasley started and played 66 minutes in Puebla’s 3-1 win vs. Morelia on Sunday.
- Michael Orozco Fiscal started and played 90 minutes for Puebla.
- Ventura Alvarado did not dress in Club America’s 3-0 win vs. Queretaro on Saturday.
What do you think of these performances? Think Johnson will able to handle the quick turnaround and start for the U.S. on Wednesday? Expecting Jones to earn a call-up after playing for Schalke this weekend?
Share your thoughts below.