By MICHAEL KLINE
Manchester United officials reportedly met with Nike representatives on Friday, with Cristiano Ronaldo being one of the topics of the meeting.
According to reports, United are interested in bringing Ronaldo back to Old Trafford, and are asking Nike to help finance the massive return.
Cristiano’s emotional return to Old Trafford on Tuesday for Real Madrid’s second-leg Champions League clash with Manchester United clearly induced Déjà vu for the massive English club, with talks of his return coming just three days later.
The former Balloon d’Or winner left United in June of 2009 when Real Madrid submitted an £80m bid for the Portuguese winger.
Since then he has skyrocketed to unimaginable levels of superstardom, but recent reports suggest that he is unhappy at Madrid.
Here are more soccer stories from this Saturday:
MICAH RICHARDS RULED OUT FOR ANOTHER FOUR WEEKS
Micah Richards has been ruled out of action for another four weeks following surgery on a knee injury in October of 2012.
The 24-year-old England international has made only four appearances for Manchester City so far this year, and the continued troubles with his knee are concerning his boss.
“This is strange. I don’t know how it is possible, this. But we can do nothing,” said Roberto Mancini, “I don’t know (the problem). His knee was not 100 per cent. He continued to work. Now it is two months that he has been working,” he added.
Mancini hopes that Richards can rejoin the first team in training within the next two weeks, and then be back to full steam within the next month.
ARSENAL FAN CHARGED OVER BANANA-THROWING INCIDENT
An Arsenal fan has been charged with disorderly behavior after throwing a banana in the direction of Gareth Bale during the North London Derby.
Thomas Flint, the alleged offender, was also charged with using threatening or abusive words, and is currently out on bail.
Gareth Bale scored the first goal of Tottenham’s 2-1 victory in the derby, a match that had huge Champions League implications.
Arsenal Football club released a statement saying anyone found guilty over the incident will be hit with a stadium ban.
DEATH SENTENCES TO 21 DEFENDANTS UPHELD IN CAIRO
The death sentences for 21 defendants were upheld by a court in Cairo following their involvement in a rampage early last year, which ended in injuries for over 1,000 fans and deaths for 74 of them.
The incident occurred in February of 2012 at a soccer match in Port Said between bitter rivals al-Masry and al-Ahly.
The injuries were a result of Al-Masry fans violently attacking Al-Ahly fans with swords, knives, clubs, stones and fireworks, following a 3-1 victory by Al-Masry.
The verdict, which also sentenced more than 20 others to prison terms, evoked another riot in Cairo today, manifesting into injuries to 15 more people and deaths to an additional two civilians.
Michael Laudrup has signed a one-year contract extension that will see him remain at Swansea City until June of 2015. (REPORT)
Paris Saint-Germain records miscellaneous income profits totaling $164 million (REPORT)
Gylfi Sigurdsson maintains that he did not snub Brendan Rodgers or Liverpool. (REPORT)
Lebanese referee quits refereeing after being chased and attacked for giving a player a red card. (VIDEO)
What do you think of these reports? Do you want to see Cristiano Ronaldo back in the Prem? Do you think the Arsenal fan was rightly charged for his actions? Glad to see some justice done regarding the Egyptian soccer riot?
Share your comments below.