By DAN KARELL
There was a larger-than-usual contingent of Americans Abroad in action this Monday, as the English League Championship and leagues in Denmark, Belgium, Norway, and Germany all had matches throughout the day.
In Norway, Mix Diskerud helped his case for a potential national team call-up this summer, scoring in the 53rd minute of his side Rosenberg’s 4-0 win over Brann. It was Diskerud’s first match of the season for Rosenberg after failing to appear on the bench in the club’s opener two weeks ago.
In England, Zak Whitbread, Frank Simek, and Mike Grella all saw action on Monday. Whitbread made his 15th start of the season and played the entire match in Leicester City’s 2-0 loss to Barnsley, the club’s fourth loss in five matches. Simek started and played the full 90 in Carlisle United’s 0-0 draw with Sheffield United. It was the St. Louis native’s 36th start of the season. Mike Grella made the bench, and came on for the final two minutes of regulation in Scunthorpe United’s 1-0 loss to AFC Bournemouth, dropping the club back into the relegation zone.
In Belgium, Sacha Kljestan saw his first action since returning from national team duty, starting and playing 79 minutes in Anderlecht’s 2-1 loss to Genk in the first round of the Belgian Pro League’s playoffs.
In Germany, Joe Gyau made just his fourth start of the season but ended up with a yellow card after four minutes and was substituted at halftime of St. Pauli’s 2-2 draw with Paderborn.
Here’s how the Americans Abroad did on Monday:
- Zak Whitbread started and played 90 minutes in Leicester City’s 2-0 loss vs. Barnsley.
- Jonathan Spector did not dress in Birmingham City’s 3-2 loss vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers.
- Will Packwood did not dress for Birmingham City. He is recovering from a leg injury.
- Stuart Holden did not dress in Sheffield Wednesday’s 1-1 vs. Bristol City.
- Conor Doyle dressed but did not play in Derby County’s 2-1 win vs. Leeds United.
- Mike Grella came off the bench and played two minutes in Scunthorpe United’s 1-0 loss vs. AFC Bournemouth.
- Frank Simek started and played 90 minutes in Carlisle United’s 0-0 draw vs. Sheffield United.
- Joe Gyau started, played 45 minutes and picked up a yellow card in St Pauli’s 2-2 draw vs. SC Paderborn 07.
- Sacha Kljestan started and played 79 minutes in RSC Anderlecht’s 2-1 loss vs. Genk in the Belgian playoffs.
- Clarence Goodson did not dress in Brondby IF’s 3-2 win vs. AGF Aarhus.
- Conor O’Brien started and played 90 minutes in FC Nordsjaelland’s 3-1 win vs. FC Midtjylland.
- Mix Diskerud started, played 90 minutes and scored a goal in Rosenborg BK’s 4-0 win vs. Brann.
What did you think of these performances? Happy that Mix is off to a good start? Surprised that Stu Holden didn’t make the 18?
Share your thoughts below.