By FRANCO PANIZO
Talk about ending a season in style.
Terrence Boyd capped his first year as a pro in dream fashion on Sunday, assisting on a goal before scoring one of his own in Rapid Vienna’s 3-0 victory over SV Josko Ried. Boyd’s tally was the final strike in the club’s season finale and it raised his goal-scoring total to 17 across all competitions, with 13 of those coming in league play for third-placed Rapid Vienna. Boyd finished the campaign as the club’s second-leading scorer.
Freddy Adu did not find the back of the net, but he did make his regular season debut for Bahia in their 3-1 loss to Criciuma. Adu came off the bench and played the final seven minutes of Bahia’s Serie A season opener and the late cameo marked his fourth appearance across all competitions for the Brazilian outfit.
It was not all good news, however. Michael Bradley and Roma missed out on a place in next season’s Europa League by falling, 1-0, to rivals Lazio in the Coppa Italia final on Sunday. Bradley went the distance in the latest edition of the Rome derby and fared well, but ultimately it was not enough to prevent Roma from tasting defeat in their final match of the 2012-2013 campaign.
Here’s how the Americans Abroad did this weekend:
- Oguchi Onyewu did not dress in Malaga CF’s 3-1 loss vs. Deportiva La Coruña on Sunday.
- Carlos Bocanega started and played 86 minutes in Racing Santander’s 0-0 draw vs. Guadalajara on Sunday.
- Michael Bradley started and played 90 minutes in AS Roma’s 1-0 loss vs. Lazio in the Coppa Italia final on Sunday.
- Fabian Johnson and TSG 1899 Hoffenheim play Kaiserslautern in the second leg of the relegation play-offs on Monday. Hoffenheim leads on aggregate, 3-1.
- Danny Williams and TSG 1899 Hoffenheim play Kaiserslautern in the second leg of the relegation play-offs on Monday. Hoffenheim leads on aggregate, 3-1.
- Eugene Starikov dressed but did not play in FK Rostov’s 3-0 win vs. CSKA Moscow on Sunday.
- Terrence Boyd started, played 90 minutes, received a yellow card, had an ASSIST and scored a GOAL in Rapid Vienna’s 3-0 win vs. SV Josko Ried on Sunday. You can see the goal and assist here.
- Alejandro Bedoya and Helsingborg IF did not play this weekend.
- Brian Span and Djurgarden IF did not play this weekend.
- Josh Gatt started and played 59 minutes in Molde FK’s 4-0 win vs. Honefoss BK on Saturday.
- Steve Clark started and played 90 minutes in Honefoss BK’s 4-0 loss vs. Molde FK on Saturday.
- Ventura Alvarado did not dress in Club America’s 4-2 penalty kick win after a 2-1 victory (2-2 on aggregate) vs. Cruz Azul in the second leg of their Liga MX finals series on Sunday.
- Freddy Adu came off the bench and played seven minutes in Bahia’s 3-1 loss vs. Criciuma on Sunday.
What do you think of these performances? Impressed with Boyd’s season? Surprised to see Bradley and Roma lose the Coppa Italia final to Lazio?
Share your thoughts below.