Photo by ISIphotos.com
By FRANCO PANIZO
It may have come in a losing effort, but Geoff Cameron has his first goal in the Premiership.
Cameron opened his scoring account for Stoke City on Sunday, burying an equalizer for the Potters in what was an eventual 3-1 loss to Arsenal. Cameron did well to knock the ball home in a match he played well in, as he placed his rebounded shot away from Arsenal goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny by impressively one-timing the ball to the far post with his left foot from 18 yards out.
The other American playing abroad to find the back of the net was one who is enjoying a fine start to his season. Terrence Boyd once again scored for Rapid Vienna on Sunday, netting the insurance goal in the club’s 2-0 victory over SV Josko Ried. Boyd now has five goals in league play and six across all competitions.
Brad Guzan also had himself quite the outing, delivering a strong performance in goal for Aston Villa on Saturday. Guzan was key in the Villans recording a 1-0 win against Norwich City, making two fine saves (one on a penalty kick) and several other divine interventions in an impressive showing that saw the veteran goalkeeper pick up his first cleansheet of the season.
For Jozy Altidore and Jermaine Jones, the weekend was far from memorable. Altidore did not start and was forced to come off the bench in Sunderland’s 3-0 defeat to West Bromwich Albion, a Saturday loss that left the winless Black Cats in last place of the Premiership. Jones and Schalke also endured a rough day at the office, suffering a 4-0 Saturday drubbing at the hands of Bayern Munich.
Here is how the Americans Abroad did this weekend:
- Tim Howard started and played 90 minutes in Everton’s 3-2 win vs. West Ham United on Saturday.
- Jozy Altidore came off the bench and played 31 minutes in Sunderland’s 3-0 loss vs. West Bromwich Albion on Saturday.
- Geoff Cameron started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in Stoke City’s 3-1 loss vs. Arsenal on Sunday.
- Maurice Edu did not dress for Stoke City. He is recovering from a sports hernia.
- Brek Shea did not dress for Stoke City.
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes and made two saves, including a penalty-kick stop, in Aston Villa’s 1-0 win vs. Norwich City on Saturday.
- Brad Friedel dressed but did not play in Tottenham Hotspur’s 1-0 win vs. Cardiff City on Sunday.
- Jonathan Spector started and played 90 minutes in Birmingham City’s 4-1 win vs. Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.
- Will Packwood did not dress for Birmingham City. He is recovering from a leg injury.
- Tim Ream started and played 90 minutes in Bolton Wanderers’ 3-1 loss vs. Brighton & Hove Albion on Saturday.
- Stuart Holden did not dress for Bolton Wanderers. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Zak Whitbread did not dress in Leicester City’s 2-2 draw vs. Blackpool on Saturday.
- Eric Lichaj started and played 90 minutes in Nottingham Forest’s 2-2 draw vs. Doncaster Rovers on Saturday.
- Danny Williams did not dress in Reading’s 3-1 win vs. Derby County on Saturday.
- Michael Bradley did not dress in AS Roma’s 2-0 win vs. Lazio on Sunday. He is recovering from an ankle injury.
- Fabian Johnson started and played 90 minutes in TSG 1899 Hoffenheim’s 2-1 loss vs. VfL Wolfsburg on Saturday.
- Joe Gyau did not dress for TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.
- Timmy Chandler started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in FC Nurnberg’s 1-1 draw vs. Borussia Dortmund on Saturday.
- Michael Parkhurst did not dress in FC Augsburg’s 2-1 loss vs. Hannover 96 on Saturday.
- Jermaine Jones started and played 90 minutes in Schalke 04’s 4-0 loss vs. Bayern Munich on Saturday.
- Steve Cherundolo did not dress in Hannover 96′s 2-1 win vs. FC Augsburg on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- John Brooks started and played 20 minutes before being subbed off due to an elbow injury in Hertha Berlin’s 1-1 draw vs. SC Freiburg on Sunday.
- Alfredo Morales started, played 55 minutes and received a yellow card in FC Ingolstadt 04’s 4-1 loss vs. FSV Frankfurt on Sunday.
- Andrew Wooten did not dress in Kaiserslautern’s 0-0 draw vs. FC Cologne on Friday.
- Bobby Wood dressed but did not play in TSV 1860 Munich’s 3-1 win vs. FC Erzgebirge Aue on Saturday.
- Alejandro Bedoya started and played 79 minutes in FC Nantes’ 3-1 loss vs. Lyon on Sunday.
- Aron Johannsson started and played 90 minutes in AZ Alkmaar’s 3-0 loss vs. NAC Breda on Sunday.
- Eugene Starikov did not dress in FK Tom’ Tomsk’s 2-1 win vs. FK Rubin Kazan on Sunday.
- Sacha Kljestan started and played 90 minutes in RSC Anderlecht’s 4-0 loss vs. Club Brugge on Sunday.
- Terrence Boyd started, played 90 minutes, received a yellow card and scored a GOAL in Rapid Vienna’s 2-0 win vs. SV Josko Ried on Sunday.
- Brian Span did not dress in Djurgarden IF’s 2-0 win vs. Atvidabergs FF on Sunday.
- Mix Diskerud started and played 90 minutes in Rosenborg BK’s 1-1 draw vs. Haugesund on Friday.
- Josh Gatt did not dress in Molde FK’s 4-1 win vs. Sandnes Ulf on Sunday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Ben Spencer did not dress for Molde FK.
- Ethan Horvath did not dress for Molde FK.
- Steve Clark started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Honefoss BK’s 2-1 win vs. Lillestrom on Saturday.
- Michael Orozco started and played 90 minutes in Puebla’s 0-0 draw vs. Tigres UANL on Saturday.
- DaMarcus Beasley did not dress for Puebla.
- Jose Torres started and played 68 minutes in Tigres UANL’s 0-0 draw vs. Puebla on Saturday.
- Jonathan Bornstein did not dress for Tigres UANL.
- Edgar Castillo started and played 90 minutes in Club Tijuana’s 0-0 draw vs. Cruz Azul on Friday.
- Joe Corona dressed but did not play for Club Tijuana.
- Greg Garza came off the bench and played 17 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Paul Arriola did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Herculez Gomez did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Joaquin Alonso Hernandez did not dress in Monterrey’s 3-1 win vs. Morelia on Friday.
- Freddy Adu did not dress in Bahia’s 2-1 win vs. Botafogo on Sunday.
What do you think of these performances? Impressed with Cameron’s goal/performance vs. Arsenal? What did you take away from Guzan’s outing vs. Norwich City? Worried for Altidore given Sunderland’s poor start to the Premiership season?
Share your thoughts below.