MLS Ticker: Supplemental draft reportedly abolished; Earthquakes' stadium delayed; and more

MLS Ticker: Supplemental draft reportedly abolished; Earthquakes' stadium delayed; and more

MLS- Toronto FC

MLS Ticker: Supplemental draft reportedly abolished; Earthquakes' stadium delayed; and more

DonGarberMLSSuperDraft2013 (Getty)

By DAN KARELL

Not much different from the way the retention fund rule came to light this summer, it seems that Major League Soccer has ended the Supplemental Draft without any prior notice.

A trade executed on Friday sent Philadelphia Union backup goalkeeper Chris Konopka to Toronto FC for a third round draft selection in the 2014 MLS SuperDraft, a move that would not have been possible in the last two seasons after MLS shortened the regular draft to two rounds. According to a report from Philly.com, the Supplemental Draft is now indeed abolished, as the league has again installed four rounds for the 2014 MLS SuperDraft set for this offseason in Philadelphia.

This isn’t the first time that MLS has suspended or removed the Supplemental Draft. After it’s creation in 1996, the league ended it in the year 2000. In 2005 it was started up again, only to be removed in 2008 once the league roster size was cut. It was re-introduced again in 2011, but it appears that the 2013 Supplemental Draft is the last one for now.

Of note from last year’s draft is San Jose Earthquakes forward Adam Jahn, who has had a solid campaign in his rookie season, scoring four goals in 21 matches, 11 starts.

Here are some more stories from around the league:

EARTHQUAKES STADIUM DELAYED AGAIN

The San Jose Earthquakes will have to spend another full season at Buck Shaw Stadium after a fresh round of delays at their new stadium’s construction site.

In a press release sent out on Friday, the club said that due to unforeseen circumstances, the new stadium would not be open for business until the start of the 2015 season. Originally the team had hoped to have it ready by the start of next season, though discoveries at the construction site in July pushed the opening estimate to mid-season of 2014.

“Without the certainty that we can open next year, we felt that the best decision would be to move the opening to the start of 2015,” Earthquakes President Dave Kaval said in a statement on the club’s website. “We are obviously disappointed, but we are more committed than ever to build a first-class venue that we know our fans deserve.”

According to the release, the new delays have to do with the complications in connecting the stadium to the city’s sewer system, and a high water table has slowed down other work. Despite this, the release says that the new team office building is set to be built in November, and the stadium seating bowl should begin construction in December.

BURLING EXTENDS CONTRACT WITH CHIVAS USA

Chivas USA haven’t had many positive moments on or off the field this season, but they certainly had a reason to smile on Thursday.

The club announced that defender Bobby Burling has signed an extension with the club through 2015. Per league and team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Burling, 27, first joined the team in 2007 as a developmental player, playing 23 times for the Goats through 2009, when he was acquired by the San Jose Earthquakes. After two years in Northern California, he was selected by the Montreal Impact in their expansion draft, though he didn’t sign. Chivas USA stepped up and acquired in him July of 2012 after months away from soccer, and he stepped back into the lineup for the team and has been starting throughout the 2013 season.

“Obviously I have a special place in me for this club,” Burling said in a statement. “It’s the second time I’ve been here and there are a lot of familiar faces. I just want to be part of the re-building process and I’m excited to be able to stay in L.A. and be a part of the turnaround of this club.”

SOUNDERS REMOVE ZAKUANI FROM DISABLED LIST

The Seattle Sounders still have former No. 1 overall pick Steve Zakuani in their plans this season.

On Thursday, the Sounders took Zakuani off the disabled list, just one day before the MLS imposed roster freeze that would have ended his season. Zakuani has missed the bulk of the last three seasons with injuries, the first a nasty leg break that kept him out for 14 months between the 2011 and 2012 seasons, and this season, he’s been hampered by a hernia injury.

Back in June, Zakuani completed successful hernia surgery and has been rehabbing from the injury since. Prior to the hernia injury, Zakuani had started the Sounders first six matches of the season, though he hasn’t played a minute since April 20.

More from

More SBI
Home