Photo by Joe Toth/ISIphotos.com
By FRANCO PANIZO
Tim Howard and Everton just cannot stop riding the wave of good form they are currently on.
The Toffees picked up their latest victory of the Premiership season on Saturday, defeating Norwich City, 2-0, to finish the weekend in fifth place in the league standings. Howard made two saves in the game for Everton, who have now lost just once in their last 14 Premiership matches and are one point off of claiming the UEFA Champions League qualifier spot that England’s top tier possesses.
Sunderland may be nowhere near the high end of the league table, but they did take another step forward in their attempt to avoid relegation. The Black Cats handed Fulham a humbling 4-1 defeat to move into 19th place and one point away from safety in what was Clint Dempsey’s return match to the Premiership. Jozy Altidore played a part in the game’s final goal, drawing the penalty kick that Adam Johnson converted.
Michael Orozco also found a way to make an impact for his club. Orozco assisted on the equalizer in Puebla’s 1-1 draw with Monterrey on Sunday, hitting a sublime ball over the top that was nodded deftly into the back of the net. Orozco started and went the distance in the game while teammate DaMarcus Beasley lasted until the 76th minute before being removed.
Here is how the Americans Abroad performed this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made two saves in Everton’s 2-0 win vs. Norwich City on Saturday.
- Clint Dempsey started and played 79 minutes in Fulham’s 4-1 loss vs. Sunderland on Saturday.
- Jozy Altidore came off the bench, played 24 minutes and drew a penalty kick in Sunderland’s 4-1 win vs. Fulham on Saturday.
- Geoff Cameron started and played 90 minutes in Stoke City’s 5-3 loss vs. Liverpool on Sunday.
- Maurice Edu did not dress for Stoke City.
- Brad Guzan and Aston Villa play Arsenal on Monday.
- Brad Friedel dressed but did not play in Tottenham Hotspur’s 2-0 win vs. Crystal Palace on Saturday.
- Cody Cropper did not dress in Southampton’s 1-0 win vs. West Bromwich Albion on Saturday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Sebastian Lletget did not dress in West Ham United’s 2-0 win vs. Cardiff City on Saturday.
- Jonathan Spector did not dress in Birmingham City’s 1-0 loss vs. Brighton & Hove Albion on Saturday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Will Packwood dressed but did not play for Birmingham City.
- Tim Ream started and played 90 minutes in Bolton Wanderers’ 1-1 draw vs. Nottingham Forest on Saturday.
- Stuart Holden did not dress for Bolton Wanderers. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Zak Whitbread did not dress in Derby County’s 4-1 loss vs. Leicester City on Friday.
- Eric Lichaj did not dress in Nottingham Forest’s 1-1 draw vs. Bolton Wanderers on Saturday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Danny Williams started and played 90 minutes in Reading’s 1-0 win vs. Watford on Saturday.
- Brek Shea and Barnsley’s match vs. Charlton Athletic on Saturday was postponed due to a waterlogged field.
- Oguchi Onyewu did not dress in Sheffield Wednesday’s 6-0 win vs. Leeds United on Saturday. He signed with the club that day.
- Duane Holmes came off the bench and played 34 minutes in Huddersfield Town’s 1-0 win vs. Millwall on Saturday.
- Gboly Ariyibi did not dress in Leeds United’s 6-0 loss vs. Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.
- Alejandro Bedoya started and played 70 minutes in FC Nantes’ 1-0 win vs. Lorient on Sunday.
- Michael Orozco started, played 90 minutes and had an ASSIST in Puebla’s 1-1 draw vs. Monterrey on Sunday.
- DaMarcus Beasley started and played 76 minutes for Puebla.
- Jose Torres dressed but did not play in Tigres UANL’s 0-0 draw vs. Pachuca on Saturday.
- Jonathan Bornstein did not dress in Atlante’s 2-1 loss vs. Veracruz on Saturday.
- Edgar Castillo started and played 90 minutes in Club Tijuana’s 1-0 win vs. Club America on Friday.
- Joe Corona started and played 80 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Herculez Gomez started and played 68 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Paul Arriola came off the bench, played 10 minutes and received a yellow card for Club Tijuana.
- Greg Garza dressed but did not play for Club Tijuana.
- Joaquin Alonso Hernandez did not dress in Monterrey’s 1-1 draw vs. Puebla on Sunday.
What do you think of these performances? Do you see Howard and Everton earning a UEFA Champions League place this season? Impressed by Orozco’s assist?
Share your thoughts below.