By DAN KARELL
Juventus’ midfield just got even more talented.
Seemingly out of nowhere, the Serie A leaders are in the final stages of completing a transfer that would send forward Mirko Vucinic to Inter Milan in place of midfielder Fredy Guarin. The Colombian international nearly moved to Chelsea earlier this month only for the English club to decide to sign Nemanja Matic from Benfica instead.
The Gazzetta Dello Sport reports that the negotiations are expected to continue tomorrow and that the final decision rests on Inter owner Erick Thohir. While Vucinic has reportedly already undergone a physical at Inter, Gazzetta says that Guarin has warned he will stop showing up to practice if the deal doesn’t go through.
The report adds that it’s possible Juventus could include a cash payment in the transfer instead of a straight swap.
Here are some more stories to catch you up around the world:
BARCELONA PLAN CAMP NOU RENOVATIONS
With the world emerging from the global financial crisis, Barcelona are ready to spring forth into a new era at the Camp Nou.
The club announced on Monday plans for a complete overhaul to the Camp Nou, which includes a full facelift on the inside and outside of the stadium between 2017 and 2021. The plan calls for an increase in stadium capacity to 105,000, (from nearly 100,000 currently), a roof over all the seats, expanded VIP and luxury suites, and new improved walkways for fans to get around the stadium and make their way to their seats. According to Marca, the cost of such an operation would cost around €420 million, though it’s much less than the €1.2 billion that it was expected to cost to build a brand new stadium.
Before any plan is approved, it must pass a referendum by the club members on either April 5 or 6. If passed, the project will take place between May 2017 and February 2021, with the interior work taking place in the summer while the exterior work would take place year round.
ADDITIONAL DETAILS REVEALED IN NEYMAR TRANSFER, BARCA DENY
It’s been rumored for months, but it seems that Neymar’s transfer to Barcelona may have been more expensive in total than Gareth Bale’s move to Real Madrid.
Despite Barcelona claiming that they spent €57.1 million to acquire Neymar last summer, two reporters at Spanish tabloid newspaper El Mundo say that they have documents that have been presented to the Spanish courts stating that Barcelona paid more than €95 million over the last three years. In addition to the €57.1 million, Barcelona also made small payments to Neymar’s father under false pretenses, all with the idea that it would help steer the youngster to the Catalan club.
Barcelona president Sandro Rosell hit back at the report on Monday, stating unequivocally that they spent the €57.1 million and only that amount.
“”I will say it again. Neymar cost €57.1 million and there’s no more to it. That’s the umpteenth time I’ve said it”, Rosell told Marca.
Manchester United manager David Moyes says he won’t be pressured into making panic buys. (REPORT)
Sporting Lisbon midfielder William Carvalho is linked with a transfer to one of Barcelona, Real Madrid, Chelsea, and Juventus. (REPORT)
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho will reportedly fly to France this week to undergo surgery on a fractured elbow. (REPORT)
AS Roma have signed Brazilian winger Michel Bastos on loan from UAE club Al Ain for $1.1 million with $3.5 million option to make the deal permanent. (REPORT)
Arsenal have appointed Wolfsburg assistant manager Andries Jonker to take over as the club’s Academy boss with Liam Brady leaving this summer. (REPORT)
What do you think of these reports? How big of a transfer is this for Juve? Like Barcelona’s stadium plans? Do you believe that Barcelona spent €95 million to sign Neymar?
Share your thoughts below.