The Copa America Centenario was always expected to be a showcase of high-quality skills and goals. It certainly did not disappoint, especially with regards to the latter.
Whether it was free kicks, volleys, shots from range, or something else entirely, the recently-concluded Copa America Centenario had a number of impressive and memorable strikes. They came from a wide range of players on a wide range of teams, too, including superstars like Lionel Messi and Alexis Sanchez and lesser-known commodities like Jhasmani Campos and Christian Cueva.
A total of 91 goals were scored in the competition’s 32 matches, and many of the finishes were of highlight-reel quality. That still did not stop SBI from sifting through the bunch to come up with a list of the top tallies at this Copa America Centenario, taking into account several factors like degree of difficulty, aesthetics, and importance in the game.
It was not easy, but here are SBI’s Top 10 Goals of the Copa America Centenario:
10. Lionel Messi (Argentina) vs. Panama, June 10
9. Philippe Coutinho (Brazil) vs. Haiti, June 8
8. Johan Venegas (Costa Rica) vs. Colombia, June 11
7. Victor Ayala (Paraguay) vs. Colombia, June 7
6. Christian Cueva (Peru) vs. Ecuador, June 8
5. Jhasmani Campos (Bolivia) vs. Chile, June 10
4. Jesus Corona (Mexico) vs. Venezuela, June 13
3. Jose Manuel Velazquez (Venezuela) vs. Mexico, June 13
2. Alexis Sanchez (Chile) vs. Panama, June 14
1. Lionel Messi (Argentina) vs. USA, June 21
What do you think of SBI’s list of top goals from the Copa America Centenario? Agree with our order? Were there any strikes that were left off or included that should not be? Wondering why a U.S. Men’s National Team goal did not make the list?
Share your thoughts below.