Brad Guzan helped earn three points in his English Premier League debut for Middlesbrough, while Sunderland’s Lynden Gooch got his second consecutive start to begin the season.
The U.S. Men’s National Team goalkeeper made a return to the Premier League in an away derby match, clocking in with four saves for Middlesbrough as they defeated local rivals Sunderland. Astonishingly, in Guzan’s first appearance he has equaled the amount of wins earned in almost 30 appearances with Aston Villa. On the other side of the Wear-Tees derby, Lynden Gooch continued his rise with his second straight start for the Black Cats. Though his team disappointed again this week, Gooch again impressed with his tenacity and fervor both on and off the ball.
German cup soccer started up this weekend with the DFB-Pokal, and plenty of Americans were involved in the knockout drama in those matches. Julian Green made an appearance for Bayern Munich as they torched their opponents, FC Carl Zeiss Jena, 5-0. Meanwhile, John Brooks, Alfredo Morales, and Timmy Chandler all won games that went all the way to penalties.
Lots of American players were in action in Liga MX in Mexico. Querétaro’s Jonathan Bornstein scored against William Yarbrough and Leon, but Yarbrough’s Leon came out as the winners.
Here’s a closer look at this weekend’s Americans Abroad.
- Lynden Gooch started and played 90 minutes in Sunderland’s 2-1 loss to local rivals Middlesbrough, picking up a YELLOW CARD. Brad Guzan played the whole match for Boro in the derby win.
- Geoff Cameron dressed but did not play in Stoke City’s 4-1 loss to Manchester City.
- Cameron Carter-Vickers dressed but did not play in Tottenham’s 1-0 win over Crystal Palace. DeAndre Yedlin did not dress.
- Gedion Zelalem did not dress in Arsenal’s 0-0 draw at Leicester City.
- Emerson Hyndman did not dress for Bournemouth’s 1-0 loss at West Ham United.
- Matt Miazga did not dress for Chelsea’s 2-1 win over Watford.
- Eric Lichaj came off the bench in the 39th minuted in Nottingham Forest’s 4-3 home win against Wigan Athletic.
- Danny Williams started and played 90 minutes in Reading’s 4-1 loss to Newcastle. Andrija Novakovich did not dress for Reading.
- Jonathan Spector started and played 76 minutes for Birmingham City in their 3-1 loss to Wolves.
- Tim Ream dressed but did not play in Fulham’s 2-2 draw with Cardiff City.
- Gboly Ariyibi started and played 90 minutes on Chesterfield’s 2-1 loss to Shrewsbury.
- Duane Holmes started and played 32 minutes in Scunthorpe’s 5-0 win over Gillingham.
- Perry Kitchen played 70 minutes and earned a YELLOW CARD in Hearts’ 5-1 win over Inverness
- Julian Green came on in the 66th minute for Bayern Munich in their 5-0 win at FC Carl Zeiss Jena.
- Fafa Picault played 72 minutes in FC St. Pauli’s 2-0 win away at VfB Lübeck.
- Terrance Boyd did not dress for RB Leipzig as they lost to Dynamo Dresden on penalty kicks.
- Fabian Johnson dressed but did not play in Borussia Monchengladbach’s 1-0 win over SV Drochtersen/Assel.
- Jerome Kiesewetter played 84 minutes in Fortuna Düsseldorf’s 3-0 win over Hansa Rostock.
- Russell Canouse dressed but did not play in VfL Bochum’s 4-3 loss to FC Astoria Walldorf.
- Timmy Chandler started was subbed on in the 101st minute as Eintracht Frankfurt defeated 1. FC Magdeburg 1-1 (4-3 on penalties).
- Aron Johannsson did not dress in Werder Bremen’s 2-1 loss at Sportfreunde Lotte.
- Alfredo Morales played 101 minutes for Ingolstadt’s 0-0 (8-7 on penalties) win away at FC Erzgebirge Aue.
- John Brooks started and played 45 minutes in Hertha Berlin’s 1-1 (5-3 penalties) win away at SSV Jahn Regensburg.
- Kyle Duncan did not dress in Valenciennes’ 3-2 loss to Brest
- Rubio Rubin did not dress as FC Utrecht drew 2-2 at AZ Alkmaar.
- Desevio Payne did not dress in FC Groningen’s 4-3 loss to Twente.
- Ethan Horvath started and played 90 minutes in Molde’s 4-2 win at home against Odds BK. Josh Gatt dressed but did not appear for Molde, while Ben Spencer did not dress.
- Cole Grossman started and provided AN ASSIST in Stabaek’s 3-0 win at home against Aalesund.
- AJ Soares started and played 90 minutes in AGF Aarhus’ 7-0 loss to Brondby.
- Sebastian Saucedo did not dress in Veracruz’s 4-2 loss at Toluca
- Michael Orozco started, played 90 minutes and picked up a YELLOW CARD, while Paul Arriola entered as a substitute in the 82nd minute of Tijuana’s 1-1 draw at Necaxa. Greg Garza, Alejandro Guido and Amando Moreno did not dress.
- William Yarbrough started and played 90 minutes for Leon in late 2-1 win at home against Querétaro. Jonathan Bornstein played the whole match for Querétaro and scored a GOAL in the 39th minute.
- José Torres started and played 90 minutes in Tigres’ 4-2 home win against Pachuca, while Omar Gonzalez started and played 55 minutes for the visitors.
- Jorge Villafana did not dress for Cruz Azul’s 3-1 win at home over Santos
- Edgar Castillo did not dress in Monterrey’s 5-3 loss away at Pumas.
- Ventura Alvarado did not dress in Club America’s 2-2 draw away at Puebla