Ignacio Patti’s strong 2016 season was bound to draw interest from clubs abroad. That said, the Montreal Impact have no intentions of parting ways with their star playmaker.
The Impact enjoyed a solid campaign last year en route to reaching the Eastern Conference Finals, and Piatti was largely responsible for that with his difference-making ability. The Argentine midfielder starred for the club last year with 17 goals and six assists in the regular season, and that resulted in him being linked with a move away from the Impact, most notably to South American powerhouse Boca Juniors, in recent weeks.
Selling Piatti this offseason could garner a large transfer fee for the Impact, but they have made it clear: There are no plans to move him.
“Before Nacho left (for vacation) he made it very very clear to us — he made it very clear to me — that this is where he wants to be,” Impact owner Joey Saputo told reporters on Monday. “I know that during the holidays rumors came out that clubs in Argentina were looking for him and that he may not be back. The chances that Nacho’s back, I’d say they’re 100 percent.”
Piatti enjoyed his best season in MLS in 2016. In addition to his regular-season totals, the soon-to-be 32-year-old attacker scored four goals and delivered two assists in five games in the playoffs. He finished fifth in voting for the MLS MVP award.