USA vs. Mexico: Where will you be watching?

Good morning all. Today is the big day, USA-Mexico, and I must say that their is an excitement surrounding this game like I haven’t felt before. No, not that there is more excitement, just a different kind of excitement that I believe has to do with all the new blood that will play tonight.

The game is expected to be a sellout near the 70,000 mark which I believe will include more American fans than people think. I remember the game here five years ago, when the split was probably closer to 65-35 or 70-30 for Mexican fans. I don’t think you’ll see the overwhelming majority be Mexican fans like you saw at the Gold Cup final in Chicago.

I know plenty of American fans are travelin in from around the country for this, but I also know that most of you will be watching at your local soccer bars (if not at home). My question to you is this: Where will you be watching the game tonight?

Tell is where you and other U.S. fans will be gathering tonight to watch the game so other SBI readers can see where they can go to watch the match.

Comments

1. Sadly, I won’t be watching until after the game because of another commitment, but then I’ll be watching on my couch at home, TiVo remote in hand, doing everything I can to resist checking SBI for the result before the end of the game…

2. @ home in my new lazyboy. Thank the stars for my 2nd US match I’ve gotten to see in HD.
    Toledo, Ohio here.

Jordan, it is always a party at OU.

3. CACuzcatlan:

See you for at least the second half (if not the whole game) at The Mayflower. Other places that attract USMNT fans (sometimes) are Pinky’s in Montecito Plaza and Platiron on Second.

4. NYC, my apartment, brand new HDTV! When either team scores I’ll probably wake up my 22monthold son, but then again, maybe I’ll keep him up to watch with me.

5. Probably on my tiny computer on some illegal site that has it streaming. I don’t think any bars in Granada Spain will be showing the game

6. Oh god, the pain of the simultaneous Duke – UNC tipoff. This is coming from a Durham native who’s wife is a current Duke grad student. How can the 2 best sporting events of the year happen at the same time?!?

But I have to say, working at home with ESPN Classic showing last Feb’s match from AZ, I’m pretty pumped about the soccer game (and I think Hansbrough is going to KILL Duke tonight).

7. I have a big client presentation tomorrow, so I made sure to set the DVR in case it’s a late night. Toughest issue there is that if I can’t watch tonight, I need to avoid all the websites I usually visit, with SBI being the primary one, to avoid knowing who won. It’s not easy…

8. I’ll be at home watching it. I have a shitty TV, so I won’t be embarassing myself by saying what size screen I am watching it on. 🙂

9. Steve B in Las Vegas. Two places that I’ve had good luck at:

– Crown & Anchor (http://www.crownandanchorlv.com/) – off the strip but a great soccer bar. Tons of tvs, great wait staff, wonderful beer and food and all around great soccer experience.

– ESPN Zone (http://espnzone.com/lasvegas/) at New York, New York. Not a great soccer environment, but usually have the games or are willing to turn one of the TVs to the game if asked. Food is so-so but they have beer.

Best of luck.

10. Hey guys. I replied earlier about going to Nevada Smith’s but it looks like no one on here in the NYC area will be there. There seems to be more interest in Stout. So…is anyone going to Nevada Smith’s or should I change plans and head up to Stout? I’m flexible.

11. I’ll be watching the game at Nevada Smiths. I’ll be sporting the old First Advice Manchester City shirt. It’ll be my first time watching with so many supporters. Pretty stoked. C’mon you Yanks!!!!!!!

12. Scott, try Pipers Pub in the South Side in Pittsburgh. I watched an England qualifier there. Great crowd and great fish and chips.

13. small t.v. screen in my apartment in Oaxaca, Mexico. I won’t be showing my gringo face around any bigscreens in any bars here.

14. Ruby Tuesday (a bar not the chain restaurant) in Columbus, OH. It’s on the corner of Summit and 19th on the OSU campus. Drink specials, projector screen, and a ton of TV’s to watch all of the action. It’s also open on Saturday mornings for EPL matches. If your in C-bus, check it out.

15. Steve –

Sam’s Army will be at the Ginger Man in the Village before the game starting at around 2pm. Party will move on to the North parking lot of Reliant for pre-game tailgate around 4pm.

16. My other option is to go to any Mexican restaurant or bar, but I don’t want to watch the game in fear being surrounded by Mexican fans.

17. Gonna call a bar called Mayflower in San Rafael, CA to see if they will be showing the game. If so, I’ll show up. If not, I’m watching it at home, alone.

18. I’ll be watching the first half at spanky’s on franklin street in Chapel Hill. But then I’ll have to switch over to the biggest rivalry in US sports at 9.

Can I mention that I’m pretty upset that this is the second year in a row that the USA-Mexico game has been the same night as the UNC-Dook game?

19. @dwbpnm

Totally agree about the Duke-UNC game. I don’t care about that game at all, but my two roommates do so since I’m in the minority I have to watch the game on my 32 inch TV in my room instead of our 42 inch HD setup in our living room! Blah!

20. At home in Petaluma, CA. I gotta make the most of the money I pay Comcast every month! After the game, I’m off to local Irish pub.