Champions League Semifinal: Chelsea at Liverpool (Running Commentary

Liverpool_logo Chelsealogo

The Champions League semifinals kick off today with Chelsea facing Liverpool at Anfield in the first leg of their home-and-home series.

The match is set for 2:45 p.m. today and will be shown on ESPN2.

So many compelling match-ups, from John Terry vs. Fernando Torres to Steven Gerrard vs. Frank Lampard.

Who has the edge? Liverpool is the home team and will be looking to attack early and often. Chelsea’s defense has posted three shutouts in four matches and will look to escape Anfield with at least a point. Can Chelsea hope for more than that? Liverpool has won seven straight matches at home and won’t be easy to break down.

If you will be watching the match, or you want somewhere to follow the match, you can follow along right here. Feel free to share your thoughts, opinions and some play by play in the comments section below.

I will be doing a running commentary during the match for those of you who can’t watch the match.

Enjoy the soccer.

————————

HALFTIME- Liverpool 1, Chelsea 0. Anthony Michael Hall lookalike Dirk Kuyt has given the Reds the lead and now Chelsea will have to put the pressure on to get a precious away goal.

————————

43rd minute- GOAL LIVERPOOL! Dirk Kuyt finishes off a sloppy sequence after Frank Lampard is stripped near his own penalty area.

31st minute- Torres with a great chance but Cech makes a clutch save in a one on one situation.

————————

28th minute- Okay, I give up, I can’t do a running commentary on this match. I’ll watch the match and check in if anything actually happens.

————————

26th minute- Caffeine is my friend right now. Wow this game has slowed to a crawl.

————————

20th minute- Chelsea keeps on knocking but it’s long free kicks and corners haven’t produced anything.

————————

13th minute- Kuyt gets into the box and Chelsea has a scare when Petr Cech loses the ball in the area. No harm though.

————————

9th minute- Another Chelsea corner, Malouda to take it.

————————

8th minute- Chelsea has enjoyed some possession early but no real chances yet.

————————

6th minute- Now there’s a state. In six previous Champions League meetings, Liverpool and Chelsea have combined for three goals. In other words, hope you have some coffee ready.

————————

3rd minute- Kick hits the wall. Now Chelsea has a corner.

————————

2nd minute- We’re under way and Chelsea has a dangerous free kick.

PRE-GAME- Liverpool lineup

——————Torres—————

Babel———–Gerrard——-Kuyt

———–Alonso—Mascherano——

Arbeloa—Carragher–Skrtel—-Aurelio

——————–Reina—————–

PRE-GAME- Chelsea lineup-

——————Drogba—————-

Malouda—————————–Cole

———–Lampard—–Ballack————–

—————–Makelele———————

Cole——-Terry—-Carvalho—-Ferreira

————————

PRE-GAME– The teams are walking onto the field and the crowd at Anfield is in full voice.

————————

Comments

1. I did not think that anybody could be more unpopular to the Scousers today than Tom Hicks, but there it is. Riise will be lucky to get out of town alive.

2. WoW! Amazing quality on that finish. To bad it was in the back of his own net. Somebody get Riise a bullet proof vest and an armed escort.

3. i can’t believe it.

That man better stay out of Liverpool for the next few days.

If Aurelio hadn’t gone down with an injury i would say that Riise never plays for the reds again.

What a freakin idiot.

Who heads that ball away? it’s a foot off the ground!

A moronic defender with zero confidence in even making a clearance with his right foot, that’s who.

This has ruined my week.

4. 90+5′ John Arne Riise

Liverpool 1 – 1 Chelsea

Chelsea score their first goal at Anfield in the UEFA Champions League, to turn the tie in their favour ahead of next week’ s return. Substitute Salomon Kalou sends in a low cross which John Arne Riise stoops to head into his own net.

5. hahaha

Love it!!! We played crap football but 1-1 is a very good result. Now let’s take care of business at the Bridge.

6. The most clinical finish of the night results in an own goal at the dying moments, and Chelsea leave with an undeserved draw.

I’m not sure how, but Tom Hicks must be responsible for this.

7. “puffyjrkfan”

I agree that he will probably be out of a job. He is also the type of guy that will never endear himself to either the media or the fans.

I just don’t think the guy ever got a chance.

8. Torres hasn’t showed up to plan tonight. That could be a result of him gettin so much attention, but he has missed at least 2 breakaways.. (I hope this posting jinx’s it and he scores a 90th minute goal).

also, Makalele has done a good job on Gerrard.

9. @Gene – “Also, to the extent some players may be “tanking” b/c they do not want to play for Grant, if that’s true, I cannot imagine anything less professional. Would you want a player like that on your team, even if he is tremendously talented?”

Totally agree with you. In lieu of recent developments in the MLS, I think that is a question best answered by the Chicago Fire front office.

10. You have to wonder what Grant is thinking doing that to the press…does he think it’s going to endear him to the fans? It won’t help his image in the media, who already don’t like him. That is why, ultimately he isn’t long for his job. The supporters don’t like him, the media mocks him.

11. BTW…did you guys see Grant’s Bill Bellichek impression after the Wigan game.

He needs to view more clips of Bellichek though….he didn’t quite stone the reporters like the master himself.

12. You know, for all the abuse that had been hurled at Sheva, I don’t see the folks currently playing for Chelsea doing much better. Today, Drogba’s contribution has been only in the department of diving, and the other attacking players do not look any more inspiring than Drogba. I wonder if the same type of abuse will be hurled at them should Chelsea lose.

13. He hasn’t had Premiership success, but he did win La Liga twice in three seasons…and Liverpool have still managed to make the Champions League every year.

I would agree that a League title needs to happen for him in the next couple seasons, but I can’t name more than a couple managers in Europe who I would want leading my time ahead of Rafa.

14. I am not a Grant fan.

It is the principle of thing though…the Manager has them competing yet he will probably get fired because the players are still mad that Morinho was left. Not because the team has been unable to perform.

It sounds like the inmates are running the asylum at Chelsea.

15. Can someone PLEASE crack down on Drogba already for diving? It’s getting to be ridiculous. He’s been doing it all season long and hits the deck as soon as anyone touches him.

16. @puffyjrkfan – Rafa is a great Champion’s League manager, but is horrible domestically. Certainly you recall Liverpool having to beg to be given a wild card spot to gain entrance to the Champions League because the WINNERS of Europes most prestigious competition could NOT QUALIFY given their DOMESTIC PERFORMANCE??

17. @paul Lorinczi – I am going to guess that several players have gone to the owner and said, “We don’t want to play under Grant.” I would like to say it is amazing that Grant has the team where it is, but considering the ridiculous heaps of talent at Chelsea, I don’t think many are convinced Grant is the sole reason they are where they are.

18. I’m not saying he should be fired, but I think it’s almost certain he will be.

And incidentially, Rafa Benitez has as many European Cups as Jose, and has been to the Final once more.

I’m neither a Chelsea nor Liverpool fan, but I do happen to think that Rafa is one of the two or three best managers in Europe

19. Can someone explain to me why Avram Grant is not long for a job when his team are competing for the league championship? And, in the semi-final of the Champions League?

Yet, Benitez is a genius when his team is way off the points leaders in the league finishing 4th.

I think Grant is doing an incredible job under such incredible pressure. If the Manager were named Joe Smith, he would be under pressure because he followed Morinho.

There is another 45 to go. Let’s see what Chelski can muster.

20. I think Liverpool have always had an element of control…no real chances yet from Chelsea.

Avram Grant is not long for this job.

21. Great pass from Gerrard to Torres, who shockingly put it right into Cech. And it figures that i’d have to catch it on replay as i flicked over to check the mets score.

22. Reading stuff online, this game has yet to give me a reason to pull my head up and watch.

Well, now it has, with that Torres try.

23. Kuyt with a good run to get behind the defense, but can’t control it off his chest. don’t know why i was surprised, but i was.

24. This game will be a snoozefest, just like the first leg of the last two meetings. Second leg will be exciting and tense…

Liverpool 1-0

25. good free kick position for chelsea wasted with a drive into the wall. they do eventually get a corner out of it.

26. Liverpool wins, but is outscored goals-to-home invasions 1-4.

Then the scousers really show us, by desecrating their own city with “Yanks Out” graffiti.

We’ll just never understand how smart they are.