Liverpool at Chelsea: Your Running Commentary

Liverpool_logo Chelsealogo

The Champions League semifinals kick off today with Chelsea facing Liverpool at Stamford Bridge in the second leg of their home-and-home series. The first leg finished 1-1 courtesy of John Arne Riise’s amazingly awful own goal, which means Liverpool must win today or tie 2-2 or greater to advance while Chelsea can reach the Champions League final with a victory or 0-0 tie.

If you will be following the match and will be online, please feel free to follow the match here. Share your thoughts, opinions and some play by play in the comments section below

Enjoy the match.

Comments

1. Lol @ Eric’s windbreaker commment.

Personally, I don’t mind Hargraves at RB. Do you really want John O’Shea starting ahead of him? Or ahead of Wes Brown at CB? O’Shea is a solid utility player, but I’m a firm believer you need to have your best players on the pitch for the biggest games. And with Vidic hurt, it was the logical move. Owen may not be a natural RB, but he’s solid defensively, and he can pass the ball.

2. Pennant on for Benayoun, who made the chance for Torres. Pennant has been in really good form, so I like this substitution now more than I did a month ago.

3. smart sub by Benitez. Benayoun did what he was supposed to, now to a more traditional winger. Although I wouldve preferred Babel

4. What a run by Essien from the RB position.

I swear, Fergueson is trying to copy Chelsea toying with this Hargraves at RB crap, but it’s not nearly as good.

5. Thanks Music, I actually laughed out loud at my ridiculous mistake. So much for getting anything done correctly when multi-tasking.

6. El Nino has become El Hombre. Truly a game changer Torres is. I questioned Benayoun’s inclusion at the start but Babel couldnt have done what Benayoun did to set up that goal

7. If it goes to Penalties, would ANYONE wager against Liverpool?

I am salivating at the thought of Manchester United v. Liverpool in Moscow…

8. Liverpool haven’t really looked like a threat to score a goal yet in this game, and they are running out of time…I’ve always been a believer in Rafa, but he needs to pull something out of the hat here.

9. HB – I can’t believe Benitez used 99 straight different line ups, and he only repeated on the 100th because the press was giving him crap for it.

Anyways, it was the 2nd CL match vs. Arsenal, I loved that midfield. Which is what drives me nuts, he’ll tinker and tinker, but not even start when he stumbles on a great lineup, he changes whether it works or not.

Liverpool should find a way to keep him as their CL Manager, and hire another to handle the EPL. Kind of a “War Chief/Peace Chief” sorta thing.

Ooh, Ballack gets a shot off. Chelsea still looks like they are in charge.

10. Risse is always brutal… he’s been living off credit from 3 years ago for a while now — and now he lacks confidence.

11. @eric – It was funny to hear someone say “my favorite rotation Rafa’s used in a while.” I can’t stand Rafa’s rotation system, but then, I haven’t coached any teams to Champions League glory.

I am personally rooting against Liverpool for two reasons: 1.) To prove to “the Special One” (Moron-ho er, Mourinho) that he is not that special and 2.) Because I want Chelsea to win two titles at the expense of ManUtd (see point one again).

12. Historically this game has been dire, but this one has actually had some life in it. Thank god for those goals in the first match.

Drogba is so damn infuriating. When he decides to give a poo, he is one of the best forwards on Earth. But he’s such a damn jerk, I have a hard time rooting for him. It was a nice goal though…

Riise has been brutal so far today.

13. Dan – that’s exactly why I get so confused when people talk of being sick of “British” teams. They’re just better right now of buying the best players in the world, and they speak more English.

Other quick thoughts on the game – biggest upset of the day, Joe Cole’s shorts nearly reach knees. His pastey thighs where too much for me during Chelski games, even if he is their most consistent threat.

Also, is it just me, or would Kuyt make a great outside back (since Benitez doesn’t tinker enough)?

Chelsea still with better pressure, 40th min.

14. Kalou was sprung free charging on goal, he hits a screamer parried away by Reina. Drogba collects it on the edge of the box, takes a touch, and hits a great low shot on the near post, he put it in the only place Reina couldn’t reach.

Should help with his recent criticism.

15. Liverpool force a corner with some dangerous play, Kuyt let a cross run into the box, and Gerrard wasn’t too far. Crappy corner, as it’s English football, and it’s over the bar on a non-dangerous header.

16. Pretty good Liverpool line up today, but I wouldn’t have been surprised if they started Pennent, he’s been playing well. Actually, my favorite rotation Rafa’s used in a while was the game where they played Kuyt and Gerrard on opposite wings where they switched sides a lot. Very cool.

Chelsea: Cech, Essien, Carvalho, Terry, Ashley Cole, Joe Cole, Ballack, Makelele, Lampard, Kalou, Drogba. Subs: Cudicini, Shevchenko, Obi, Malouda, Alex, Belletti, Anelka

Liverpool: Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Skrtel, Riise, Kuyt, Alonso, Mascherano, Benayoun, Gerrard, Torres. Subs: Itandje, Finnan, Hyypia, Crouch, Pennant, Babel, Lucas.

As I type, Hyypia on for the injured Skrtel in the 23rd

17. Not to dominate this board early but props by the way Ives, theres no way I’d put the effort into putting up the running commentary were I in your shoes, I’d just be posted up with my beer in whatever bar you chose and say screw the mafia hahaha