Good afternoon all. Here are some observations from Red Bulls training today:
- Juan Pablo Angel trained and looked sharp. He should be ready to go against the Galaxy on Saturday.
- Jozy Altidore missed training with an undisclosed illness.
He should still be good to go onSaturday. (Not so fast, Juan osorio just said he may leave Altidore home because of concerns about fatigue.)
- Claudio Reyna did not train and his status for Saturday remains uncertain.
- Chris Leitch and Carlos Mendes both trained today and look healthy.
- Andrew Boyens was in training but he is still waiting for his visa to clear before he can play so his status for Saturday is in doubt.
- Dane Richards looked pretty sharp in training and I wouldn’t be surprised if he started on Saturday.
- Eric Brunner was in training today, and ironically enough, he was paired in central defense with Andrew Boyens on the second team defense.
So what will the Red Bulls starting lineup look against the Galaxy? Here is the starting XI I see playing:
Van Den Bergh—-Goldthwaite——Parke——–Leitch
If Reyna can’t go, I believe you’ll see Mike Magee.
There wasn’t any evidence at training that Dane Richards would play on the left flank but it’s just a hunch of mine. You could also see Richards at right mid, Freeman at right back and Danleigh Borman at left mid. (actually, it seems Borman is the safer bet to start on the left, with Richards coming off the bench again).
Aside from right back, the other three slots are pretty set in the back-line. Carlos Mendes did do some work with the first-team defense, but I don’t see him getting the nod this weekend.
That’s all for now. I’ll post again after post-practice interviews so stay tuned.