What’s the best way to shake off a 6-1 defeat? If you’re Atletico Madrid, you start with taking a week-long break for the international window. Then you come back and square off against the defending league champions, and your arch-rival, Real Madrid.
Okay, so maybe that’s not the best way, but it’s going to have to be the way for Atletico, which is in the midst of a brutal part of its schedule. Diego Forlan and Simao Sabrosa are set to come back from injury, meaning the Atletico attack should be slightly more effective than it was against Barcelona.
Real Madrid will look to straighten things out after tying Espanyol the last time out. Currently three points out of first place, Real Madrid won’t be wanting to settle for a tie.
The Madrid Derby is just one of several juicy matches on TV this weekend. Here are the Top 10 matches to watch for, as well as the complete schedule of soccer matches on TV this weekend. Enjoy:
This Weekend’s Top Matches to Watch
Real Madrid at Atletico Madrid. Yes, the last time we saw Atletico Madrid they were getting demolished by Barcelona. Expect a rebound as they host the Madrid Derby. You need to at least TIVO it.
Boca Juniors at River Plate. One of the world’s great rivalries resumes. With Juan Riquelme pulling the strings for Boca, and Diego Buonanotte leading the River attack, you will want to see this one.
Juventus at Napoli. Juve’s Sebastian Giovinco and Napoli’s Marek Hamsik are two of the best young midfielders in Serie A (and the world). If you haven’t seen them play, you might want to start ASAP.
Inter Milan at Roma. Okay, so maybe Roma has fallen on hard times, but any time Inter travels to Rome it is going to be an intense match. Will Mancini torch his former squad?
Villarreal at Espanyol. Just admit that you watch Villarreal every weekend because you think Jozy Altidore might play. It’s okay, Villarreal is worth watching any time you can see them.
Schalke 04 at Hamburg. Hamburg is in first place in the Bundesliga, but will get a good test from Schalke. Jefferson Farfan and Paolo Guerrero will square off in a battle of Peruvians.
FC Dallas at Real Salt Lake. Kenny Cooper will try and keep his scoring run going, and the Hoops’ playoff hopes alive at Rio Tinto Stadium, where RSL needs a win to hold onto third place in the West.
Borussia Dortmund at Werder Bremen. With Germany reportedly out as an option for Neven Subotic (still waiting for firm confirmation on this), this could be your chance to watch a potential U.S. national team player.
Everton at Arsenal. Yes, Tim Howard’s Everton has been struggling badly, but Arsenal has had its own issues putting away teams it should beat. Something tells me Howard is going to have one of those days that leaves you stunned.
Columbus Crew at New York Red Bulls. With the playoffs slipping away, and Supplement-Gate hanging over their heads, the Red Bulls are either going to stand up and score the win they need, or the Crew will treat the Red Bulls like Sonny Corleone at the toll booth. Either way, it should be entertaining.
This Weekend’s Soccer on TV
- 7:30am- Setanta USA- Chelsea at Middlesbrough
- 10am- FSC- Everton at Arsenal
- 10am- Setanta USA- Wigan at Liverpool
- 11:30am- GolTV- Borussia Dortmund at Werder Bremen
- 12:15pm- Setanta USA- Barnsley at Crystal Palace
- 12:30pm- FSC- West Brom at Manchester United
- 2pm- GolTV- Real Madrid at Atletico Madrid
- 2:30pm- FSC- Juventus at Napoli
- 3pm- Setanta USA- Lille at Lyon
- 4pm- GolTV- Villarreal at Espanyol
- 4:30pm- FSC- Reggina at Fiorentina
- 5pm- Setanta USA- Portsmouth at Aston Villa
- 6pm- Telemundo- Tigres at Monterrey
- 6:30pm- FSC- Sunderland at Fulham
- 7:30pm- MSG2- Columbus Crew at New York Red Bulls
- 8pm- GolTV- Deportivo Cali at Once Caldas
- 8pm- Telemundo- Atlante at Chivas de Guadalajara
- 8:30pm- HDNet- Los Angeles Galaxy at Houston Dynamo
- 9pm- FSC- FC Dallas at Real Salt Lake
- 10pm- GolTV- Bayern Munich at Karlsruhe
- 10pm- Telefutura- Atlas at Necaxa
- 10:15pm- Setanta USA- Blackburn at Bolton
- 2am- FSC- Sydney FC at Perth Glory
- 9am- FSC- Palermo at Catania
- 11am- FSC- Tottenham at Stoke City
- 11am- GolTV- Schalke 04 at Hamburg
- 1pm- GolTV- Barcelona at Athletic Bilbao
- 1pm- Telemundo- Pachuca at Toluca
- 2:30pm- FSC- Inter Milan at Roma
- 3pm- GolTV- Sevilla at Almeria
- 3pm- Telefutura- Colorado Rapids at Chivas USA
- 3pm- Setanta USA- Marseille at Valenciennes
- 4:30pm- FSC- Boca Juniors at River Plate
- 5pm- Galavision- Futsal World Cup Final
- 5pm- GolTV- Numancia at Valencia
- 7pm- GolTV- Millonarios at Chico
What match are you looking the most forward to? Share your thoughts below.