by GIANFRANCO PANIZO
Landon Donovan opened up a solid weekend for the Americans Abroad contingent as he played in his first Bundesliga match with Bayern Munich. The American attacker came off the bench in the second half and was active in his 13-minute performance. Donovan's efforts were not enough though as he and Bayern Munich fell to Hamburg SV 1-0 on Friday.
Clint Dempsey enjoyed a better weekend, setting up the opening goal in Fulham's 3-1 win vs. Portsmouth on Saturday. Dempsey slid a perfectly-timed through-pass to Andy Johnson, who finished it off to help start the Cottagers off on the winning foot.
Another American who enjoyed an exceptional weekend was Jemal Johnson. Johnson, who plays for League One club MK Dons, hit a brace on Saturday in a game that saw eight goals scored. Johnson, who was born in New Jersey before moving to England at age five, scored the first goal and final goal in his team's victory.
Not all was positive for the Americans though. Freddy Adu, Heath Pearce, DaMarcus Beasley and Maurice Edu failed to see time on the pitch once again. The quartet of American internationals have not played in weeks and with the U.S.-Mexico qualifier looming, this doesn't bode well for the United States.
Here is how the rest of the Americans Abroad faired this weekend:
Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made seven saves in Everton's 1-0 loss vs. Manchester United on Saturday.
Brad Friedel started, played 90 minutes and made three saves in Aston Villa's 0-0 draw vs. Wigan Athletic on Saturday.
Brad Guzan dressed but did not play in Aston Villa's 0-0 draw vs. Wigan Athletic on Saturday.
Clint Dempsey started, played 90 minutes and recorded an assist in Fulham's 3-1 win vs. Portsmouth on Saturday.
Jonathan Spector dressed but did not play in West Ham's 0-0 draw vs. Arsenal on Saturday.
COCA COLA CHAMPIONSHIP
- Frank Simek did not dress in Sheffield Wednesday's 1-1 draw vs. Birmingham on Saturday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Jay DeMerit dressed but did not play in Watford's 3-1 loss vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday.
- Eddie Johnson came off the bench and played 1 minute in Cardiff City's 2-0 win vs. Nottingham Forest on Saturday.
- Marcus Hahnemann did not dress in Reading's 0-0 draw vs. Queen Park Rangers on Saturday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Bobby Convey did not dress in Reading's 0-0 draw vs. Queen Park Rangers on Saturday.
- Jemal Johnson started, played 90 minutes and scored TWO GOALS in MK Don's 5-3 win vs. Cheltenham Town on Saturday.
- Zac Whitbread came off the bench and played 45 minutes in Millwall's 2-1 loss to Scunthorpe on Saturday.
DaMarcus Beasley did not dress in Rangers' 2-0 win vs. Dundee United on Saturday.
Maurice Edu did not dress in Rangers' 2-0 win vs. Dundee United on Saturday.
- Landon Donovan came off the bench and played 13 minutes in Bayern Munich's 1-0 loss vs. Hamburg SV on Friday.
- Steve Cherundolo did not dress in Hannover 96's 1-0 win vs. Schalke 04 on Saturday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Sal Zizzo dressed but did not play in Hannover 96's 1-0 win vs. Schalke 04 on Saturday.
Michael Bradley started and played 90 minutes in Borussia Moenchengladbach's 2-0 loss to VfB Stuttgart on Saturday.
- Heath Pearce did not dress in Hansa Rostock's 1-0 loss vs. MSV Duisburg on Sunday.
Gregg Berhalter started and played 90 minutes in 1860 Munich's 2-0 loss vs. SC Freiburg on Sunday.
Luis Robles and Kaiserslautern play Mainz on Monday.
Matt Taylor dressed but did not play in TUS Koblenz's 0-0 draw vs. RW Oberhausen on Friday.
- David Yelldell started, played 90 minutes and made four saves in TUS Koblenz's 0-0 draw vs. RW Oberhausen on Friday.
- Grover Gibson did not dress in Ahlen's 4-0 loss vs. FSV Frankfurt on Sunday.
- Jozy Altidore did not dress in Xerez's 2-0 win vs. Alicante on Sunday. Altidore joined the Liga 2 leaders on loan on Friday.
- Danny Szetela started and played 90 minutes in Brescia's 3-2 loss to Treviso on Saturday.
Carlos Bocanegra started and played 90 minutes in Rennes' 0-0 draw vs. Toulouse on Saturday.
Freddy Adu dressed but did not play in AS Monaco's 1-0 win vs. Grenoble on Saturday.
- Quentin Westberg dressed but did not play in Troyes' 4-1 loss vs. Brest on Friday.
- Oguchi Onyewu started and played 90 minutes in Standard Liege's 3-0 win vs. Roeselare on Saturday.
- Jared Jeffrey dressed but did not play in Club Brugge's 3-1 win vs. AFC Tubize on Saturday.
The Danish First Division is on winter break until March.
The Austrian Bundesliga is on break.
- Jose Francisco Torres came off the bench and played 38 minutes in Pachuca's 1-1 tie vs. Atlante on Sunday.
- Michael Orozco started and played 90 minutes in San Luis' 2-1 win vs. Chiapas on Saturday.
Marco Vidal did not dress in Indios de Ciudad Juarez's 2-2 draw vs. Necaxa on Saturday.
Daniel Hernandez did not dress in Chiapas' 2-1 loss vs. San Luis on Saturday.
Jesus Padilla did not dress in Guadalajara's 2-1 win vs. Monterrey on Saturday.
American-born Players Playing for Other Countries
Giuseppe Rossi (Italy) did not dress in Villarreal's 3-0 loss vs. Deportivo La Coruna on Sunday.
- Edgar Castillo (Mexico) started and played 90 minutes in America's 1-0 loss vs. Morelia on Saturday.
Brede Hangeland (Norway) started and played 90 minutes in Fulham's 3-1 win vs. Portsmouth on Saturday.
Boaz Myhill (Wales) dressed but did not play in Hull City's 2-2 draw vs. West Bromwich Albion on Saturday.
What do you think of these performances? Think any of Adu, Beasley, Edu or Pearce will get called up for the U.S.-Mexico match? Think any will start? Excited to see Jemal Johnson represent with a pair of goals? Impressed with Donovan's 13-minute performance? Happy that Bocanegra's form is at a high? What about Tim Howard's eight-save showing against Manchester United?
Share your thoughts below.