Chelsea fires Scolari

103 Shares

Luiz Felipe Scolari 1 (AP)

Apparently The Gene Hackman needed more than a little Quaresma.

Chelsea has fired manager Luiz Felipe Scolari, giving the Brazilian former World Cup-winning coach little more than a half season in charge at Stamford Bridge. The move couldn't come as much of a surprise for a club currently sitting in fourth place in the EPL.

Who will come in to replace Scolari? Assistant Ray Wilkins will be the caretaker but you know some big-named manager will be taking over. Could Avram Grant, the man who led Chelsea to the Champions League final less than a year ago, be ready to return? Crazier things have happened.

What do you think of Scolari's firing? Right thing to do? Hasty decision? Think Chelsea will consider Sven Goran Eriksson if he becomes available on Thursday?

Comments

1. Here is my theory: Scolari wasn’t fired, he quit. Since Brazil is playing a friendly match against Italy this week in London and people pretty much hate Dunga in Brazil, Scolari will be announced as the new coach the morning after Dunga is fired. All this happening in Londong this week, stay tuned.

2. It makes me laugh that people thought he was such a good manager anyway…he won the world cup with a Brazil side with mostly smoke a mirrors with wins over China, Turkey (twice), Costa Rica, Belgium, England (from poor goalkeeping by Seaman) and a very average Germany team that should have lost to the US in the Qfs…Not to mention the fact that the hot and humid conditions favored Brazil over everyone else….

Every national team tournament outside of 2002 he had the most talented side of the tournament but found a way to lose it…whether it was from poor player discipline or just outright chocking to teams like Greece as host nation no less…

He is one of those guys that has been fortunate to manage great players and in turn made them play boring football…Avram Grant is twice the manager he is….

PS I hate Chelsea so I love the turmoil…

3. Hire Scolari as the USMNT coach? He is a good coach, but be careful what you ask for. I think it is important for a coach to know and understand a country’s soccer culture. Maybe Scolari is a quick study, but just because he was a good coach for Brazil and Portugal does not translate to being a good coach for the USMNT. Those respective programs are in very different places. The USMNT is much more about developing young players and getting them into a system then working with established stars. Why the hate for Bradley? What has he done so terribly wrong? Mind you, I think the USSF should have hired Klinnsman (who had both an understanding of the U.S. soccer scene, international understanding and a track record of working with young players) but I think Bradley has done a credible job with the tools available to him.

4. This is unrelated to Scolari’s firing but… Is Sven related to Peter Gammons in anyway, shape or form? Just look at the pics. 😉

5. Roman Abrom needs to go. The guy is a chump. Don’t people realize that well respected champions like Mourinho or Ferguson do it a certain way, and Roman does it the direct opposite?! Stupid

6. I used to like Chelsea for its players. Essien is still my favorite player in the world. Lampard, Terry, Cech, and Drogba were also cool back in the day.

Now I don’t really care for the team because its management is stupid. I wouldn’t want to coach Chelsea for any amount of money.

7. Please fire Bradley, and hire this man right away! Scolari is the #1 coach in the world. His resume says it all..

OR….

Please fire Tom Soehn, and hire this man right away! Hey, one can dream, can’t they?

8. makes you wonder how desperate Scolari was to take the job in the first place, right? how did that conversation go, you figure?

hey, Luis, come up and manage my club. we don’t play the style you are known for, we won’t buy you any new players. just do better than the last guy, and we’ll go shopping in summer 09. oh the last guy? he finished second in the league by two points and second in the Champions League on penalties. so all you have to do is be better than that team (which added 50 million pounds of players in the off season) and you’ll be fine! oh, and I suggest renting, not buying.

9. The Sven comment is genius but true. The way Mexico juggles coaches, the statement will be a reality. Also, Sven didn’t have a chance with the Mexicans.

10. Hahahaha, since Abramovich bought the team Chelski have fired arguably (before lambasting me please note that I said ARGUABLY) 3 of the best coaches on earth.

They just don’t get it. I almost pity Chelski fans. Almost.

11. Zola,

I genuinely don’t think Zola is interested (yes, West Ham fan talking here). He seems to like youngsters and teaching aspect of the game. I don’t think he’s intersted in coaching jaded, spoiled older players. Thats not a shot at Chelsea, believe it or not. I think Zola really just prefers the younger players. I think he sees out his contract with WHU as long as they want him.

After that, who knows? And Clarke is possible, I’d agree.

12. Finally!

(I write as a disgusted Chelsea fan who has been calling for Scolari to be fired – on numerous threads for the past month or so.)

13. Chelsea scum. Typical response by the foolish Russian, who is trying to scapegoat a great manager to cover up the fact that his financial fallout is the real culprit that has disallowed the bringing in of players to keep pace with United and Liverpool. The injury bug has also struck, and I’m sorry, but who wants a job where in which you have 1/2 a season to win the title? Who is to say Scolari could not have rightened the ship? Shameful.

14. Crash and Burn Chelsea!

I like a team that does things the right way – by developing young talent and building steadily. Aston Villa and Arsenal belong in the top four, not money-bags Chelsea.

15. This is TOATL BS! And I don’t meam Big Soccer!

The Gene Hackman was/is a good coach. Roman and Chelsea are inviting a fall like Rome!

Idiocy Running Rampant!

Maybe Sunil should call?

16. Hey Ray Hudson is available – Right? I would love to see Ray get interwied by Sky Sports after and before matches. Great television right there.

In all honesty this is stupid. 4th in the EPL and you get canned. Well i guess Champions League final and you canned should have been a warning to Big Phil.

Oh and I hate Chelsea so not to heartbroken. Go Fulham

17. I agree with you J … everybody talk Sh*t about Mex national team , but maybe hmmm dont know but I have a feeling about US lose the game !!

18. Does Chelsea do stuff like this to keep material fresh for Special 1 TV? I would love to see them hire Sven next. It would make for great material for the show.

19. Does anyone else think the injuries combined with poor play from aging stars and a particularily poor turn of goalkeeping from Czech has more to do with the Chelsea falling from 2nd to 4th then the coach?

20. Any ways Getting Serious, I love Chelsea but first at the beginning of the Tournament When Chelsea was wining with good score everyone was praising Scolari like the heroe, like he was god. That suck cause I think is the players that are doing all this crap and he has to pay by getting fired, Plus now Roman Abramovich the Owner is very scare that he is loosing money. Please he doesn’t want to open his wallet to get players with a lost of talent. Look at Quaresma he miss a clear shot for a goal. No wonder why Mourinho left him go from Inter. If Reijkard or Mancini take over he have to deal with Egos and will happen again. Samething happen with Aguirre at Athletico De Madrid he got fired cause egos like Kuna Guerro, Maniche and other players.

21. Tom,

You hit the nail on the head. Abramovich is running this team into the ground. When will these idiots realize that the foundation of real success is some modum of continuity? Give a guy at least 3 years to live or die unless they are a total disaster (which Chelsea’s position at this point is not).

22. I think that they will wait and see what happens with their champions league campaign and if they make it in the top four this season. I think Zola and Clark have to be in the mix for next season.

23. Ives: “Gene Hackman,” lol!

I’ve always thought Bob Bradley was Paul Newman (maybe the love child of Newman–Robert Duvall)

24. He needed to go.. He is a horrible coach for Chelsea.. Mayb now chelsea can finally approve in league. They should not be fourth

25. Scolari should feel cheated. He signs on with (at the time) the richest club in the world and was not given any transfer funds to significantly alter the squad to his liking.

And what does this say about the abilities of Mourinho to not only deal with the egos of the players but to also deal with the Big Boss??

Anyone interested in taking this post better not unpack too quickly.

Here’s hoping Arsenal overtake Chelski for 4th…or better yet, Everton overtake both of them!!