USA vs. Mexico Countdown: Who is ‘El Tri’s” biggest villain?

Jared Borgetti (ISIphotos.com)

Photo by ISIphotos.com

In any rivalry like the USA-Mexico rivalry, there will be players who are considered heroes and those who are regarded as villains. For Mexican fans, no player fills the villain role for the United Stats quite like Landon Donovan. For American fans, picking the ultimate villain is just a little bit tougher.

Think about the candidates for a second. From Oswaldo Sanchez to Jared Borgetti to Cuauhtemoc Blanco to Rafael Marquez, there are several candidates to choose from. Please note that we are not advocating hate, because in the end all players in this series have earned the respect of fans from both sides, but let's face it, if you can't hate the players from your arch-rival then who can you hate?

If you are a U.S. national team fan, now is your chance to vote. What Mexican national team player have you hated the most since you began following the series? What player symbolized the "Bad Guy' better than any other player for Mexico?

Now that you cast your vote, tell us who you voted for and why?

Comments

1. I thought about giving it to Sanchez or Marquez based on the severity of their “contributions” to the rivalry.

However, I still voted for Luis Hernadez in more of a “Lifetime Achievement Award” mentality.

Oh, and I might respect some, if not most, El Tri players and their fans, but I have no problem admitting I hate them all, and cheer every time they lose a game, regardless who they are playing. Between Mexico and U of Miami (from that other kind of football), I loathe the color green.

2. I have to go with Marquez. To me, a villain has to actually be good enough to have hurt you in the past as well as having done something reprehensible. Sanchez just isn’t good enough to be the villain.

Honestly though, the hardest part of this is that we’ve dominated all of these players so much that none of them have really hurt us on the field that much. Mexico hates Lando because he’s scored so many big goals against them. We don’t really have anyone like that.

3. Such a difficult choice! Borgetti has never really bothered me. Used to hate Blanco, but now I enjoy watching him play in MLS. I picked Oswaldo, but when I think back on years past, I really should have picked Hernandez — what a pr!ck he was!

4. Keep in mind that I have only been watching Mexico v. USA for approx. 20-25 years so I can’t really reach back to the dark, dark years. But having said that,…while I have always viewed Mexico as a good team,…I never really thought any of the Mexican players were anything special. As a result, I never really paid much attention to the individuals,…knowing that as time passed the USA was going to surpass them in CONCACAF anyway. To me it was just a matter of time.

If I was pressed,…I would have to say Jore Campos. Not because he ever put any sort of hurt on the USA but simply because he was such a circus act. He was an embarassment to CONCACAF. Could you imagine if the USA ever has a GK like that?

It’s not like I’m English and rage if I hear the name Diego Armando Maradona.

5. I like Mexico.
    I like Mexicans.
    However, I HATE EL TRI!

I hope it’s a good game, but none of the Mexicans I normally bet with are willing this time. Maybe when we hit Azteca, but I think this is the year we win there.

6. I don’t even particularly respect their fans all that much either. This is a nation that has collectively deluded themselves into believing they are a world soccer power, and then dismisses the U.S. as being second rate when we’ve dominated them for the entire decade. They complain about how beautiful they played and how our ugly negative tactics destroyed a game in which “they” were superior after we just crushed them.

7. Luis you right…. i give you props for admitting your mistake… bottom line is that on Wednesday we are going to have a great game…. !!!

Both US and Mexico are good teams…. Teams that need to get better to compete with the world teams… like Italia, Spain etc…

Cant wait for Ohio….!!!

8. Seriously, where’s the “I hate the entire Mexican national team” option?

I’ll go with Sanchez. He sucks. He even failed at trying to be a dirty hacker. On second thought, maybe I should have picked Marquez. At least I get to make fun of Sanchez for being a failure at being a dirty hack.

9. hey hey hey … i´m sorry , my behavior was not good at all last comments I did …

but ok, European people are used to apply that word to USA, but as far as I know anyone here is from Europe , so here Mexicans and USA citizens all we are Americans …

10. Luis Mex, what is your deal? You’re a Mexican who has referred to people from El Salvador and Guatemala as wetbacks and called people from the US gringos. Both are offensive so just stop. And as for your problem with the “American” term…give me a break. American is the correct adjective and noun for somebody from the US; it does not imply that the United States encompasses all of North America. When I lived in Spain, if you were from the US, they said you were from “America”, not “los estados unidos” most of the time; there’s no disrespect intended.

And Frank, Mexicans hate US groups plenty. Check out facebook to see how many anti-Donovan groups there are

11. Juanito… is funny you call Angel a “Wetback”… but last time I check it is your people that keep crossing over the border….

So in reality that term wetback is for your Mexican people….

Last….. funny how you speak and write in our language… congrats… you probably are one of those people that hated their own nation so much that move to the USA to have the “America Dream”

God USA!!!

12. You people have short memories. Luis Hernandez is a bastard. I’ll never forget US Cup ’99 when Tony Meola got kicked in the face by Hernandez and then the bastard scored. He also is perhaps the most consistent diver in Mexican soccer history.

13. That’s a great analogy rednow.red4ever…the early 90s Pistons were the most classless professional sports team in the last 30 years…

14. Cam

You are right and I do share your thought. I do enjoy Mexican liga, and like I say early Rafa Marquez play in my Favorite team. I just don’t know why they brough that Mexican hate Argentina players then the USA players.

15. If there are any basketball historians out there, this series reminds me of the Pistons-Bulls of the late 80s/ early 90s.
    The Pistons were the team to beat, but when the Bulls got to the top, the Pistons got pissed and constantly committed cheap fouls and refused to shake hands…sounds familiar.

16. I voted Borgetti, not that he is too dirty of a player, but because he is a dangerous player to score on us and ruin our chances.

17. Dirty Sanchez definitely tops the list. This is further enhanced for me by the fact that at least guys like Blanco and Marquez (and Borgetti to a smaller extent) are at least near-world class in their ability. But Sanchez is merely decent AND the dirtiest player of em all.

If Sven’s brain is as big as it seems he’d start Ochoa very soon.

18. hahahaha be easy Angel … it seems that you hate Mexico with all your soul and heart , where r u from ?? wetback of Gauatemala , EL Salvador or where??
    you make me laugh … i don´t care about US players, US wont be better than Mex ever !! we are like ave Fenix , re born of his own ashes to be more and more powerful

please shut the fcuk up !!

19. mexicans only hate argentines more because mexicans still live in this fantasy world that they are better than the united states. its just elitism, thats all. when they finally understand that america has at least caught up to them, if not surpassed them, then maybe they wont have to worry about qualifying for the world cup. ill tell you this, argentines certainly dont compare their players to the mexicans.

frankly, i like the mexican team and their football culture, they play with passion and creativity. i really enjoy watching their players in europe… marquez, gio, guardado… i just cant stand the fact that they feel the need to constantly disrespect the “gringos”. get over yourselves already, you arent as good as you think you are.

20. Hey Angel- great video, shows the shot to the nuts on Lalas(no foul or card).

Shows the scumbags have been doing this crap for years the difference now is The US owns their sissy asses.

21. hey Juanito y Luis Mex by any mean I issulted you, I did not start calling name or say any bad words to you guys. I think if we have a disgreetment is cool we can debate but don’t start calling name or say bad things to me. Simple

22. Pendejo LuiS MEx that doesn’t mean that Mexican hate Argintinos more the the uSA. You should be happy that in Argentina miran el futball de Mexico Cuase the love Futball no matter where it come from Not like Mexican people the only game the watch is there own Liga. please no seas un hijo la gran puta pendejo.

23. Mexico hates Argentina? Must be b/c the Mexican team couldn’t carry the jocks of the Argentine team. Americans hate Mexico for different reasons. It’s because they are dirty cheating crybabies who can’t accept that the US has caught and passed them.

24. No es que se Argentino pero alguien dijo que mexico odia mas a los Argentinos que a los Estado Unidense. y por favor yo no te maltratado pero si quieres sos un pendejo, hijue puta mal parido con pocos guevos cerote mexican con poco de chile en tu culo

25. si no nos tomaran en cuenta crees que pasarian nuestra liga en la TV de alla ?? he viajado mas de 4 veces a Argentina y el futbol Mexicano es muy respetado, eres un pobre pendejo Angel …

26. Please I know that Luis, ok Mexican American, you know that everybody say American are USA even in Europe, but is just a freaking saying.

27. How you can compare a MESSI, to a Dos SAntos, Kuna Guerro to Vela, Teves to a Neri Castillo, Crespo to a Borgetti, please should I go on..

28. Oswaldo got my pick because of the hatred in his eyes and the lame excuse he gave afterward (celebration, which hadn’t started).

The rivalry is off a bit because of Mexico’s recent poor form and the absence of stingers like Torrado and Maestreano.

29. hhhmmmm , Angel Angel Angel ,
    you said Americans to refer US players , my God … Mex also ins in America and North America … do u want more??

30. Si juanito pero los Argentinos no los toman en cuenta a los Mexicanos. They don’t even care if Mexican hate Argentina cause they not even compare themself to their level..HAHAHAHa

31. Tommy H. yes I do recall and is in the video that I post, plus you can see when the give Mcbride a shot on the eyes and was bleeding.

32. I went with Marquez, though the Sanchez cheapshot is a close 2nd.

I always thought Borgetti was more of a buffoon than a villian. Loved the way Gooch took his punk ass to school.

33. I know America is the Continent Luis Mex. I know my geography. for your info is three part. South America, Central America and North America. do you want to give me a lesson go ahead dude bring it on.

34. Seattle Rocks … our coach is not GRINGO … he is Sweden , and like we say here : les vamos a dar una sopa de su propio chocolate , it means : we will gave them a soup of his own chocolate … play like you and win !! so I think the match will be so boring hahaha