Fulham topples Man Utd

by GIANFRANCO PANIZO

For the first time in nearly four years Manchester United lost back-to-back games in the English Premier League.

Following their abysmal 4-1 defeat at home to Liverpool last week, Manchester United dropped three more crucial points to Fulham on Saturday, in a game that saw Paul Scholes and Wayne Rooney given red cards. Goals from Danny Murphy and substitute Zoltan Gera paved the way for the Cottagers' 2-0 victory, making it the first time since April 2005 that  Manchester United has lost consecutive games in the Premiership.

The loss, which was United's fourth of the season, keeps the reigning EPL champions at 65 points in the standings, just four ahead of Chelsea and Liverpool. And while Chelsea lost to Tottenham on Saturday afternoon, the Reds could cut that lead down to one point if they defeat Aston Villa at Anfield on Sunday.

What do you think of Manchester United's loss? Are you a worried Red Devils fan? Think Liverpool has what it takes to take first place? Think Rooney is going to get it on Special 1 TV?

Comments

1. One thing I would comment on, Ferguson was complaining that poor Rooney shouldn’t have gotten his 2nd yellow. Rooney may have thrown the ball in the direction of the spot kick, but you could tell there was anger in the throw, which was also in the direction of the ref. Even so, had his team been generally well behaved all match, I’d say the ref probably would have let it go, thinking Rooney was just in a rush to get the ball in play.

The fact is, they were not well behaved. Rooney and his teammates were whining and screaming at the ref all game, and at that point, the ref probably had reached his limit. You have to know, if you work hard to get on someone’s bad side, you don’t earn the right to get the benefit of a doubt from him. Ferguson’s boys earned what they got.

2. That WAS a great finish by Gera, so this may bring some more playing time for him, but I do not see Dempsey getting nudged out of the starting XI. Dempsey brings to many tangibles to the team that Gera does not bring; defensive work rate, aerial presence and consistency.

3. I root for Fulham, and almost always root against Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea…Its always the same four teams in EPL, which IMHO makes the league rather boring! Come on Fulham! Would love to see you in UEFA!

4. YES!!!! This looks awesome for Liverpool and I’m glad it was Fulham that knocked Man U down a peg. If it bleeds, you can kill it!!!

5. I actually thought Demps was subpar today. Not as much energy and a few poor decisions in good places. He was questionable before the match owing to apparent food poisoning.

6. Dempsey played fine. Whoever said Johnson and Zamora don’t work hard..is an idiot. Sure, their partnership is not the most efficient as far as goals go, but Zamora was everywhere today, and the whole season he has been such a good ‘hold up forward’ for Fulham. Roy Hodgson will be the first to tell you that Zamora works his ass off.
    Don’t worry about Dempsey and playing time, he had food poising over the past week and even so STILL played very, very good today. He just ran out of gas towards the end.

7. COME ON YOU WHITES!
    I’d prefer to keep Clint in the Fulham side, and keep Hodgeson as the skipper, and just have the whites be a consistent top 5 finisher in the EPL for the next 5 years!!! That would be even better than having them move to a different team. Of Course, if Dempsey went to Chelsea, Liverpool, Man-U, or Arsenal and was a starter, who is complaining? But I do not prefer an Everton or Villa transfer to those two options….Hey, but who is asking me?
    Well Done Fulham!
    Slay the Red Beast.
    Go UEFA!!!
    Keep up the hard work and congrats on the 40 pts.

8. I’m sure SAF is worried about the play, but what makes SAF so great is that he works the officials very early in the season, so losing the officials is a greater worry. I’m sure he doesn’t want to see more hand-ball and dissent calls. One more United loss and the men in the black and white will get an ear full.

9. i like your thinking NATO, especially “moves up to Everton.”
    Though would rather have him in Toffee Blue much before 2011.

10. This news has so made my day. Glad Fulham got the win and especially glad they won against ManUre. 🙂 🙂 Liverpool BETTER win tomorrow and take advantage of this.

11. Let’s all pray Torres scores a hat-trick against Aston Villa tomorrow. He needs to be scoring like Casanova so that Liverpool get close to the league and the CL trophy.

If they were to win both, i would run butt naked around my city.

12. Dempsey was decent at best but you can’t blame him. Each game for Fulham he plays his heart out and especially last few matches he nearly kills himself for Fulham. I never see AJ/Zamora doing half of what he does.

But Dempsey is a GOD for Fulham. I can see him spending a few more seasons there playing consistently and scoring 7goals a season and carving out a little LEGEND as they become a regular toptable team and maybe regular UEFA Cup teams.

Who knows maybe 2011 or 2012, he moves up to a team like Everton/AV?

13. Thank you Fulham. A few more solid games and you will be in the UEFA Cup next season. They’re at 8th with 40pts and West Ham is at 7th with 41. Not impossible.

Glad The Whites trashed the Red Devils, but shame it didn’t come in the FA Cup.

14. fantastic win for Fulham…Now Fulham is only 1 point out a Europa League spot. Europe could be calling for Dempsey…

15. Don’t be worried for Dempsey.
    Though he did not score today as Gera did, he was aggressive and made some good passes. He also had tons of shots today, most from outside the box though only a few on frame.
    Still, Dempsey has shown too much quality over the last month and a half to be benched.

16. Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t ManU still have a game in hand? If so, I still see it being pretty difficult for them to be caught.

17. It makes me happy to see the Dallas Cowboys, oops I mean ManU, lose. Go anybody who plays them. Fergie looks better with a short skirt and a microphone.

18. Sorry that I missed this game since I have traveled to Dallas to catch the MLS action tonight. I was shocked, to say the least, regarding this outcome. Not having watched the game I will offer that Zoltan Gera scoring is not particularly a good thing since he competes for minutes with Dempsey. Still, this results makes the final few games much more interesting.

19. Hell yeah Fulham!!!! Rooting for ManU is like rooting for Microsoft. I love it when david slays goliath!!

I expect that ManU will still win the league, but they’d better get their form back before the CL quarters or the quintuple is toast.

20. How did Dempsey play? Jose and Sven are going to have a field day on Special 1 TV…….

This season is getting interesting!

21. blerg. i am a worried MU fan that loves Fulham at the same time. i am hoping AV beats Liverpool, for their sake as well as keeping the Reds back.