Report: Red Bulls pay $30K to land Pacheco on loan

Alfredo Pacheco (ISIphotos.com)

Photo by ISIphotos.com

Salvadoran newspaper La Prensa Grafica reported late on Wednesday night that the New York Red Bulls have reached an agreement with CD FAS for left back Alfredo Pacheco, with the price being a $30,000 transfer (A Thursday report suggests that the $30,000 is in fact a loan fee).

FAS president Reynaldo Valle told La Prensa Grafica that the clubs agreed to the fee and Pacheco would be joining the Red Bulls for training next week. Despite the reported deal, Pacheco still played in FAS' 1-1 tie vs. Alianza FC on Wednesday night.

The report comes a day after Red Bulls technical director Jeff Agoos danced around questions about another Prensa Grafica report that suggested Pacheco was close to joining the Red Bulls.

If the Red Bulls have landed Pacheco, the Salvadoran national team defender would give head coach Juan Carlos Osorio the attack-minded left back he has been looking for since he joined the club as head coach a year ago. With the team in serious talks with Costa Rican right back Carlos Johnson, the Red Bulls could solve their fullback issues in the same week.

The Red Bulls turned to Central American options to address their fullback needs after trying and failing to pry Jonathan Bornstein from Chivas USA and Chris Wingert from Real Salt Lake.

What do you think of the Red Bulls adding Pacheco and Johnson? Do you see the Red Bulls contending for another MLS Cup trip? Still worried about the central defense? Wondering if Osorio will be able to bring all the new faces together?

Sare your thoughts below.

Comments

1. Question for Dennis Hamlett… C. Blanco was one of the biggest crybabies that I’ve ever seen in professional sports while a member of that UGLY NY Yankee like organization Club America. He seems like a different type of personality with the Fire. (I still hate him but…) Is he bringing a mature, professionalism with him and is he making sure to be a solid leader for the young Fire players? American footie MUST follow the lead of solid internationals to continue to grow.

2. This team has never had as supportive an ally as Red Bull before. Red Bull is actually willing to do what it takes to win in MLS. This signing is further proof og that.

3. WOW, I JUST WANT TO ADD THAT PACHECO’S MOM IS A CITIZEN AND SHE COULD PUT THE PAPERWORK IN FOR PACHECO TO BECOME A CITIZEN AS WELL.

in pacheco we get a solid defender that has a strong left foot but is great with his right as well(we all know how hard is to see a player that uses both legs)…..what stands out is his crosses, his passion, and the fact that now we have a full back that is a TRUE FULLBACK…..and what’s best, he can take on one on ones like a hispanic player can, not like the usual fullback in mls that when they see a defender in front of them, they just pass the ball!!…..very happy about this, but he needs time to gel, lets not forget that!

4. Yes, PLEASE hold all judgment about the RB being the next champs. What if, God forbid, Pacheco turns into the next Pietravallo? It’s taking Rojas time to “adjust”. They were supposed to be the saviors of the team last year too. What makes people think he will adjust like Angel did? With any luck he will. I, like most here, haven’t seen a lick of these guys play so I would have to take a wait and see attitude as well. I am a RB fan too so if they work out then FANTASTIC. But we shall see. Hopefully they can gel in a few weeks.

VIVA Los Red Bulls

5. lots of new faces… they’ll need to gel. It would be good to get back to MLS Cup, but this is not the team that got us there, for better or worse. I have to wait & see how all of this fits together before believing it’ll work or not.

6. I’m just glad to see NY doing something positive with the allocation money, rather than letting it go to waste.

Hopefully the free agent talk is correct, and he can join on a permanent deal next year.

7. I am pleased beyond belief to see Red Bull stepping up to put out the best possible team. I am a futball fan. When I want to see an American team I watch the USMNT. Give Americans top flight skills to watch and they will acquire the same skills. This is just the right thing to do BEFORE opening Red Bull Park.

If you are a local fan of the Beautiful Game you have to be pleased.

8. his mother’s either a green card holder, or a citizen. she left el salvador when he was young.

i’m glad to see a salvadoran in the MLS. He can really offer a lot, with talented and offensive minded teammates. I’ll just be on pins and needles hoping he doesn’t get injured!!! We need him for the Hex!

9. Ives,

Is it true there is no limit on international spots if you trade for them? Could some team actually go out and trade for 12 international spots and have their entire senior roster be internationals? Or, is there a limit to the number of international spots you can trade for?

@Haig: I didn’t know about Pacheco’s mom. I also heard that a couple other internationals on the Red Bull roster are close to getting green cards. So who knows, maybe they can pull off adding six new guys from outside the U.S. two weeks before the season starts.

Guess we’ll see when they show up here in Seattle.

10. MikeK, next year Pacheco will be a FA (His contract with FAS will be over) Isn’t it better for NY to take this route money-wise?

11. A loan? That’s odd… I guess I don’t mind a season long loan, but it seems kind of wierd. I’d rather buy him outright, but I guess I see the problem with that, money wise.

12. We’ll need a full season with these new guys to get them all used to both their team mates AND the style of play in MLS. Expecting this to be an overnight success is silly. This is building a foundation for 2010 and the new stadium.

13. NYRB sure looks good on paper, but PLEASE hold off on anointing us MLS champion because we have not played one regular season yet. One thing we can agree on is that JCO has been busy this off season. Lets Go RB!!!!

14. Regarding the international spots, I believe the player most likely to be cut is Echeverry. After that maybe Borman. Also, I read that Boyens is due his green card soon so he won’t count as an international. As a Red Bulls fan, I also have qualms about too many new faces all at once on our team. Hopefully we can go as far as we did last year, but I’m thinking this will be a year for the team to gel. I’m predicting a championship for next season.

15. There actually is no limit on foreign players in MLS as International slots are considered tradable commodities. It is possible that a team could acquire an entire roster of internationals if they so choose. Take a team like Houston who only has one or two international players per year, they could flip more spots to anyteam in the league in a trade…

16. Jury is still, indeed, out. These are players none of us have ever heard of, let alone see play.

It’s great if The Bulls get who they’re gunning for – but I’ll reserve my judgement until I see them play a little.

Celades, though, would be more of a sure-thing to be a great addition.

17. Woo hoo… Good stuff… Now all we need is Johnson and Celades and the Red Bulls will be ready to kick some major butt!

18. Since I know absolutely nothing about these guys, the jury is still out. Until I see them on the field, I’m sticking with Chicago to be the 800 pound gorilla in the Eastern Conference.

19. Just want to point out that there is no way that RBNY becomes the “Arsenal” of MLS and has more foreign players than domestic players. MLS rules will not allow it.

If they sign this guy, Johnson, Celades and the two Boca trialists, they are going to have to cut some other international players. There is a limit on non-Americans on MLS rosters.

20. Hey Scott im going to go ahead and take your argument up, because last season we all at DC thought our team was going to be mls cup contenders with the signings of the gonzalos and gallardo. Too many changes and new faces and look where that lead us…same thing is going to happen to NYRB…no doubt

21. Solid addition, they have done a great job building a squad to fit JCOs style. Any update on the situation with Celedes?

22. Ives,

the 30K are just for the transfer, right? I guess he might be getting some pretty penny as a salary.

I have seen clips of him playing and he reminds me of Juan Vargas at Fiorentina.

Cheers

23. I’m happy about this transfer.

I think Osorio is going to go for a 4-4-2 / 4-2-3-1 formation though. Frankly I think this will end up being quite a strong squad if Rojas can adapt properly. I think that’s the key.

I can only wish that had an attack minded leftback to overlap when Van Den Bergh was here.

24. I have to say that i really dont care if MLS has lots of foreign player as long as the quality of play improves. Guys like Schellotto and Angel have certainly helped in that regard. As that continues to happen, I feel confident that our domestic players will develop and improve along with the league.

25. I know jack and squat about either outside back, but the guys who held those spots last year were brutalized at least once or twice per game. Fullback was without a doubt the team’s greatest weakness.

That’s not to say that Goldthwaite and the rest of the rotating cast of outside defenders are bad players, but they were clearly playing in positions that did not suit their skill sets, and it was very ugly at times.

So this is probably a good move. Eh, how could it be worse.

26. I don’t know how good this guy is, but for that price, I think I’m more excited than if we landed Bornstein! This allows us to spend elsewhere as well… All we’ve needed for two years has been enough of a defense to hold things together and be consistent. If we finish off the signings of Johnson and Celades then we’re contenders in my mind. Now I’m getting excited!

27. I’m just delighted to see MLS paying some f’in transfer fees of any size. For too long the league’s policy “no loans, no fees” policy has left teams sifting through piles of out-of-contract has-beens and never-wases.

ITTET, you don’t have to splash very much cash in some markets to make a difference; hopefully MLS is getting that. Also, every deal that the league completes draws it tighter into the weave of the world football market – hopeful prospect indeed.

28. First player from the El Salvador National soccer team to be in the MLS since Ronald Cerritos in 2005 with San Jose…and many more will be coming soon to the league after people see how good some players on the Nat’l team are…Good luck Alfredo!

29. Hey DCU fans. Following this acquisition I am going to make a guarantee:
    RBNY will finish with more points and go further in the playoffs than United this season.
    I guarantee it and any DC fans are welcome to call me out on it in the (not going to happen) chance the prediction is incorrect

30. The Red Bulls now have more international players than domestic players. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing for MLS, but I am beginning to see a resemblance to Arsenal’s player acquisition strategy.

Of course, Osorio addressed this in his Q&A, saying he tried for USA players first, but they were not reasonably attainable.

Either way, NYRB are shaping up to be a very strong team.

31. —–Kanji–Angel—–

———Rojas——–

Smith———-Richards

–Celedes—Stammler–

Pachecho-Petke-Johnson

——–Conway——–

32. I’ve been thinking for months that The Fire are the favorites for this season but, if RBNY can sign Celedes and if these reports are true then RBNY are the front runners. I just wish they had Red Bull Arena. I think Rojas will be the star of this squad.

33. Agoos’s comments from earlier today have me a bit weary about whether this deal has actually been completed. I think that it’d be a great addition to the team since the team is in desperate need of a left back, but I’ll wait for a confirmation from RBNY before I get psyched.