Look what league suddenly has a title race.
The La Liga race has suddenly gotten close as Real Madrid has pulled to within four points of struggling Barcelona and the defending champions can try to close the gap even further this weekend. The only problem is they'll have to do it against crosstown rival Atletico Madrid, which is coming off its own amazing victory against Barcelona a week ago.
The Madrid Clasico is just one of several clashes between intra-city rivals throughout the world. Somebody made this weekend Derby Weekend so you will have several quality match-ups to choose from.
Here are this weekend's top match-ups and the full weekend TV schedule. Enjoy:
Top 10 matches to watch
1. Atletico Madrid at Real Madrid. Atletico is fresh off beating Barcelona while Real Madrid is trying to catch the leaders, struggling Barcelona.
2. Boca Juniors at Independiente. There are few better than this Buenos Aires Clasico.
3. Manchester United at Fulham (FA Cup quarterfinal). The march toward four Cups for Man Utd, while Clint Dempsey looks to rebound from last week's subpar performance.
4. Corinthians at Palmeiras. It's Derby Day in South America as this Sao Paolo classico takes center stage. Expect passion and skill galore.
5. Juventus at Torino. Europeans do Derby's too, and this Turin clash should be memorable, even if Torino is fifth from bottom in Serie A.
6. Udinese at Roma. Plenty of star power in this Italian clash.
7. Tecos at Pachuca. Have you noticed a trend? Yes, Pachuca stays on this list because Jose Francisco Torres is fun to watch. Also, these two teams are among the best in the Mexican Clausura.
8. Cruz Azul at Santos Laguna. These CONCACAF Champions League semifinals are bringing up the rear in their Clausura group, but you can still watch and root against Oswaldo Sanchez.
9. Hannover 96 at Bayern Munich. Landon Donovan's last chance for some minutes for Bayern, but more importantly, a chance for two Americans (Steve Cherundolo and Sal Zizzo ) to continue Bayern's recent misery.
10. Chelsea at Coventry City. It's always fun to root for the underdog, though maybe not at 7:30am.
This weekend's soccer on TV
7:30am- FSC- Chelsea at Coventry City (FA Cup)
10am- ESPN360- Udinese at Roma
11:30am- GolTV- Hannover 96 at Bayern Munich
Noon- Setanta USA- Manchester United at Fulham (FA Cup )
Noon- Fox Sports Espanol- Atalanta at AC Milan
2pm- GolTV- Atletico Madrid at Real Madrid
2:30pm- FSC- Juventus at Torino
2:45pm- ESPN360- PSV Eindhoven vs. Twente Enschede
3pm- Setanta USA- Lyon at Lille
4pm- GolTV- Espanyol at Villarreal
5pm- FSC- Inter Milan at Genoa
5pm- Setanta USA- Tottenham at Sunderland
6pm- GolTV- Junior at Cali
6pm- Telefutura- UNAM Pumas at San Luis
6pm- Azteca America- Chivas at Jaguares
8pm- Fox Sports Espanol- Monterrey vs. Morelia
8pm- GolTV- Millonarios at Atletico Nacional
8pm- Telefutura- Tecos at Pachuca
8pm- Telemundo- Puebla at Tigres
10pm- Telemundo- Indios at Atlante
7:30am- ESPN360- Ajax Amsterdam at ADO Den Haag
9:30am- FSC- Burnley vs. Arsenal (FA Cup)
9:30am- ESPN360- Feyenoord at NAC Breda
10am- ESPN360- Lazio at Napoli
11:30am- Fox Sports Espanol- Atalanta at AC Milan
Noon- ESPN Deportes- PSV Eindhoven at Twente Enschede
2pm- Telemundo- Necaxa at Toluca
3pm- Setanta USA- Nantes at St. Etienne
3pm- GolTV- Corinthians at Palmeiras
3:30pm- FSC- Atalanta at AC Milan
4pm- Fox Sports Espanol- Palermo at Fiorentina
5pm- GolTV- Almeria at Sevilla
5:30pm- FSC- Palermo at Fiorentina
6pm- Univision- Cruz Azul at Santos Laguna
6pm- Telemundo- Club America at Atlante
6:30pm- Fox Sports Espanol- Boca Juniors at Independiente
What do you think of this weekend's matches? Which are you looking forward to the most? Which will you save for the TIVO? Share your thoughts below.
Ace, the ‘the’ is connected to ‘race’ in that noun phrase, not to La Liga. The article is perfectly fine where it is.
THE La Liga?! Are you serious… can only hope this is a pun on the misuse of THE MLS.
I assume Ives was talking about the nil-nil match against Arsenal.
Clint Dempsey’s “subpar performance”???!? When did this happen? Certainly, Fulham was disappointed to lose to Hull on Wednesday, but Clint played great.
Johnny, what the hell are you doing on a soccer specific website than. You wouldn’t even know of this website, if you didn’t like soccer a bit. Stop lying to yourself dude, its OK. You can admit that soccer is way more entertaining than Baseball! It doesn’t make you unpatriotic. And how come there is no mention about the Barca vs Athletic match? Its not only the preview match to the Copa Del Rey final. Come on Ives, you have been loosing your touch recently for this.
I still think it’s amazing how much soccer is available for viewing here in the US nowadays. It really wasn’t that long ago when there were only 1 or 2 matches a week that we’d have access to viewing.
Grande Torino!beat those bastards
The only fans Tecos has are those who attend the University, but then switch teams after graduating.
11 wat losses cause they suck
Hala Madrid. Here’s to 11 in a row.
i hate soccer it is sssooo boring
Haha Tecas. I’ve never actually met a Tecos fan. They are extremely few and far between.
Come on Dempsey, score a hat-trick and knock out Man U of the FA Cup. If Fulham can reach the semi-finals and/or reach no.8 on the final day of the league, this would be for sure the best season in club history.
As Dominghosa said, Everton-Middlesborough FA Cup match is on FSC at noon on Sunday.
Go Madrid. 4pts behind Barca but still alive. This title will go to the last minute. Thank you Real Madrid for surging the last few months. Fantastic football.
Here’s hoping Donovan can score a goal but i still hope Hannover crush Bayern. Hannover will probably go attack fast so Zizzo is sure to get some mins.
Also go EJ. His last chance to make a great impression this weekend. he needs a goal.
Yeah i was trying to see some U-20 games,but from what i understand none will be televised.
SUNDAY — Noon, Everton vs. Middlesbrough (FA Cup)
7:30AM, I’d gladly wake up at that time to watch my Blues play. But not at 4:30AM, which is the time it airs on the West Coast.
Is the U-20 qualifying on at all?