The MLS Quarter Pole: Who is on the MLS Best XI?

Landon Donovan 3 (ISIphotos.com)

The 2009 MLS season is a quarter of the way through and while we're still a LONG way away from hounding out season awards, we can still take a look at the players who have enjoyed the best form early in the season.

Picking the MLS Best XI is always a tough process but that doesn' mean we can't try to put one together for the first quarter of the season. Here is the SBI MLS Best XI for the first quarter:

SBI MLS BEST XI- FIRST TEAM (First quarter)

———————————Brian McBride————————

–Guillermo Barros Schelotto—————Landon Donovan——

——————————-Amado Guevara————————-

———–Paulo Nagamura———————-Shalrie Joseph—–

——————————–Osvaldo Alonso————————-

Jonathan Bornstein—–Jhon Kennedy Hurtado———Tim Ward

———————————Kasey-Keller————————-

—————-

Now it's your turn. What eleven players would be on your MLS Best XI?

Share your picks below.

Comments

1. You have to include Adrian Serioux in this list. He’s been amazing for TFC and has had an enormous effect on the team this season.

Don’t sleep on Scarborough Ives.

2. 1. I’m pretty much in agreement with Ives’ list. I might sub Thornton for Keller. Keller has been good, very impressive. But I actually think Thornton has been better over the course of the year and Chivas has given up fewer goals. I know, I know, it’s splitting hairs but I do think it’s not about Keller being bad, just Thornton playing maybe the best soccer of his LIFE right now he’s been that good.

2. I have no problem with Pontius not being on there. DCU and Chivas lead the East and West respectively and there is no-one (other than Bornstein who I actually think would not be my first choice) from either side on the list. But both DCU and Chivas have not had consistent lineups. They’ve rotated people in and out, given lots of PT to many different players. I think Pontius is the favorite for RotY and both he and Wallace have really shown well (even I didn’t rate Wallace as equal to Hall as an outside mid and now look at the two of them!). But Pontius isn’t even close to being an MLS Best XI so far this year.

3. No Kandji either–not even close folks. Kandji has a world of talent and has a couple of halves where he’s looked outstanding. But I’d rate about 8 strikers who’s body of work this year has been better than Kandji’s starting with Donovan (just immense–on a terrible team where EVERYONE knows who’s going to get the ball or have to make it happen and he still generates results in the most meaningful way). Take away Donovan and LAG might have 1 point–if that–you can’t say that about any other player in MLS (even Shalrie Joseph). Schelotto may be the next most essential attacker to his team (after LD). And McBride is having the kind of season this year everyone assumed he’d have when he came to MLS: winning 50-50 balls, setting an example, setting up teammates, scoring goals, hustling, winning fair-play and outstanding leader accolades. And then you add guys like Montero, Pontius, Cooper and Arnaud. To me, Kandji has been like Josh Wolff–about 3-4 halves have really impactful play combined with some MIA’s (due to injury or walk-abouts).

4. I “might” choose Segares over Bornstein (who I believe has played some midfield) and Beckerman (who’s had some down games but has been outright dominant in others) over Nagamura but I could live with either of those choices–they’ve both had some outstanding play or big impact moments (in Nags case) this season.

3. Now the all rookie best 11

Frei
    K Alston D Barnes Bessler R Wallace
    Zakuani Alonso Pontius
    montero kandji ( yeah it’s his 2nd year but there’s no more…)

4. Listen folks, I get that there was never a chance that everyone would agree on a Best XI (That’s pretty much impossible) but the complaints about Pontius are a bit misguided. I’m a fan of Pontius and recently said he was the Rookie of the Year at the Quarter Pole, so how am I short-changing D.C. United? Yes, they’re in first place and playing very well, but you don’t get players on Best XI because your team is in first. If anything, the last of any First Team selections shows how balanced and well-rounded D.C. United has been this season. Pontius has had a very good season to date, but Best XI? Not ahead of any of the players listed.

I was planning on posting a second team but have been busy traveling today. I will look to include a second team tonight if possible so look out for that.

Lastly, the Shalrie Joseph criticism is a bit crazy. He’s a lock first-teamer. He had one notably bad game, vs. Real Salt Lake, and we all saw what happened to New England when Joseph didn’t play well.

5. To call some people idiots for having Kandji on their best 11 is too much. What separates the goal leader from Kandji? two goals? If that was the case then let’s forget about the way people play and let’s go only by the stats! Conor Casey over Kandji anyone? NO!!

It’s not about numbers people, if that was the case JPA/C.Gomez should not have been chosen to the all star game last year!!

6. Mine would look like this:

———- Onstad———-

–Mulrooney—–Boswell—-Barrett–

———–R. Clark———-

–Mullan—-B. Davis—-Holden–

——Kamara——–Ching——-

7. Ives list is far better than any other posted here.

Mac Kandji? Really? 2 goals and 3 assists for one of the worst teams in the league thus far gets you best 11?

Idiots.

8. ————Kasey Keller————

Mulrooney—-Marshall——Bornstein

———-Nagamura————–

—Pappa—-Kandji——Pontius

——Donovan——McBride

9. a rookie starting 11 would be tough,what a class though of rookies eh?Pontius,Wallace,Holbein,Frei,Gonzalez,Cronin,Zakuani, Tierney,Nyarko

10. I think that Guille and Shalrie are pretty borderline thus far. It can be argued that they played key roles in a few games thus far, but honestly, there are some more consistent big-gamers so far this first quarter. Namely: Kandji, Morales, Pappa, and even Pontius. These 4 guys, among others, have missed games through injury, suspension so I can see where Ives draws the line. Still, I think we’ve all seen these guys put in solid performances when they are starting for their clubs.

11. Man a couple of bad results and everyone’s throwing the Revs under the bus. Shalrie Joseph has been the best player on the field for the Revs this year and certainly deserves to be considered for the best 11.

Pontius? He’s good but no better than several other rookies in my view, and not quite best 11 material just yet.

How about a rookie best 11? Not many years you can even field one of those, but you can this year.

12. Brian McBride

Guillermo Barros Schelotto Landon Donovan

Amado Guevara

Macumba Kanji Osvaldo Alonso C. Blanco

Tyrone Marshall Jhon Kennedy Hurtado Tim Ward

Kasey-Keller

13. ———- Onstad———-

–Wynne—–Marshall—-Bornstein–

———–R. Clark———-

Pappa——Jewsbury——-C.Clark

————DeRosario———-

——Cooper——–Donovan——-

14. Ives’ love affair with Shalrie is well documented, but really, he hasn’t been that great this year. Yes he is still the best player on the pitch for the Revs most nights, but that really doesn’t mean very much.

15. Sean,
    My understanding is there was a poison pill in Papas contract that prevented Seattle from taking him. Some sort of escalator clause in his salary if he got traded from Chicago.

16. Marco Pappa has been one of this years true shockers, Seattle had a chance to take them and missed out,and so far he has somewhat come out of nowhere and put up great numbers. Sharlie Joseph is a good player…I just didn’t want to mention him because I’m still bitter about MLS blocking his move to Celtic

If Tim ward was so great they wouldn;t be giving up so many points,easy as that, I’d take Trujuilo on Chivas over him,and I like the Galaxy

17. DCU is in first place but places nobody on the first team? I understand Pontius doesn’t have as many goals, but his team is playing well. Doesn’t Emilio have 5 goals also (not to mention some of them were comeback/game-winner types)?

Overall though, the selections are solid. You can’t really argue with any of them.

18. Good list Ives, its amazing how far Ward has come. My only change would be adding Arnaud from KC in the Mid Field. He’s scored some huge goals and a couple of game winners.

19. Sean, if you’re going by value to the team, Shalrie Joseph has to be there. As shaky as the Revs have been, it would be much worse without him.

20. Mac Kandji should definitely be in best 11. He is definitely the most fun to watch, and he adds a dimension of skill/creativity that many MLS players have.

21. @ Sean Monaghan “based on how valuable they are to there team”

you didn’t watch Prideaux drag his slow a** around the right flank last year very much did you? I’d say Ward has drastically improved that aspect of the Fire’s defense, and added an offensive threat as well. Not his fault that the central defense and Busch is faltering.

22. @John in FL:
    Great response. Even as a DCU fan, I’m not surprised or bothered not to see any United players on Ives’ list… I just want to keep seeing them at the top of the table.

23. Sean Monaghan- Pappa really, come on are you serious???? Hes had about as much production as Zakuani has in seatlle…… Your mad mate, if you think Pappa should be in the best 11!!!!!!! You left Joseph off the list but added Lopez…. IF I was to pick someone from KC it would surely be Davy Arnaud.

24. Ward and BMB have pretty much been the most consistent on the Fire IMO… not saying they havent had bad plays from time to time….

pontius sure has been stellar so far…. but the formation doesnt have any true wingers on it

25. Good for Tim Ward — I recall he was so bad at LB in the opening game during the U-20 World Cup in Canada that Rongen benched him in favor of playing Anthony Wallace there out of position. Next thing you know he’s starting for the FIRE and now he’s in Ives’ Best XI. What’s next, the Eredivisie?

26. Is that the same Tim Ward who looked like an “infant among boys” and was subsequently benched never to be seen again in the U-20 WC in Canada a couple years back?

Good for you Tim…keep your chin up

27. No Pontius?

FAIL.

Posted by: jleppig | May 15, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Easy to just throw out a FAIL without backing up your facts. Now why would he be picked ahead ofBrian McBride, Guillermo Barros Schelotto orLandon Donovan?

I’m sure his 3 goals in 9 games aren’t enough. to just put him in on the best 11. Is he the anchor of the attack like McBride ( 8 games 5 goals)? Or is he the one layer that pretty much the whole team depends on like Guillermo (8 games 4 goals 1 assist) or Donovan ( 8 games 5 goals 3 assists)?

Fail is such a strong word, please substantiated your claim next time, I’m actually curious to see why he should be there.

28. my list isn’t based all based on individual skill,part of its based on how valuable they are to there team:

————Thorton————

Mulrooney—-Marshall——Bornstein

———-Nagamura————–

—Pappa—-Guevara——Pontius

——Donovan——McBride

Subs: Schelotto,Lopez,Keller,Trujillo,Kandji

29. Pontius def deserves to be up there.

To second what jleppig said: “FAIL.”

And Nagamura is shiot – he aint nothing special.