Fulham eyeing Onyewu

Oguchi Onyewu 1 (Getty Images)

by GIANFRANCO PANIZO

Fulham have expressed interest in U.S. national team centerback Oguchi Onyewu.

Onyewu, who is currently in South Africa with the United States for the Confederations Cup, has been linked for weeks with Birmingham City but the Cottagers are now looking to outbid the recently-promoted club for his services.

If Onyewu were to sign with Fulham, he would become the third American international on the squad, joining attackers Clint Dempsey and Eddie Johnson.

What do you think of Fulham expressing interest in Onyewu? Would Onyewu be a good fit at Fulham? Prefer to see him with a bigger team like Lyon?

Comments

1. i’m a Fulham supporter and agree with most others, i’d love to see him there but he’d be getting limited time unless Hangeland goes (which i would absolutely hate to see). Lyon or another big French side would work, as would the Bundesliga, or Serie A. EPL would be good, but finding playing time on a good side would probably be more difficult.

2. I don’t like it. Enough with Americans going to Fulham. And I don’t like him playing for a newly promoted side. Ives, any work on if there are any other teams looking at him?

3. He should go to the Quakes as they need a Central Defender now. But seriously, I hope he goes to Wolves with all their young talent,they need some proven veterans so I suggested in their newspaper to go after Gooch and Donovan.

Wolves are also expected to sign Marcus Hahnemann next week.

4. He should pay attention to Bocanegra’s success at Rennes to see that France should be his viable and best option. He was linked with Marseille, but that’s was mainly due to Gerets, who’s Belgian and is in good with alot of people in the league. I don’t see him joining now.

He’d be perfect at a club like Lille, who are sort of on the fringes of being a little big club. Him and Rami at the back would be unstoppable.

5. FYI…Gooch is in the middle of a lawsuit about a racist name calling incident. He is not going to leagues were any form of racism is acceptable. I think that might make him lean towards the EPL. Birmingham is a dump and if it was me I would advise West London after the current central defender at Fulham doesn’t sign his new contract that might be a done deal.

6. Shaka Hislop is an assistant men’s soccer coach at Quinnipiac! How is the entire world not talking about thiss??!!

7. All I hear is speed of play and how slow Oneywu is…

only elite players play at a fast enough speed were they don’t havev to adjust to the speed of the EPL. At this moment his speed of play may not be fast enough, but he will adjust, just like Dempsey did. his running speed doesn’t matter, he’s just as fast as Breda Hangeland, who did great for Fulham… he will struggle at first, but he will adjust and do fine, he’s a smart guy, and ambitious

8. I also hear Gooch has been linked with Stoke, Bolton, Portsmouth, Sunderland, Preston, Derby, Blackpool, Scunthorpe, Leeds, Northampton, Barnet, Gray’s Athletic, Torquay, FC United of Manchester, Kettering Town, and Barcelona….all this week!

9. I would love for Onyewu to become a Cottager provided he starts every game. Wherever he goes he just needs to play. I wouldn’t mind seeing him go to France to play for a club like Marsaille or Lyon. I also wouldn’t mind him ending up at Rennes to team with Boca.

I would love to see another Yank playing for Fulhamerica, but that is really dependent upon PT. Just see the pitch in a bigger league and I’ll be happy.

10. He’s not good enough for a bigger team like Lyon. Fulham might be good. Hangeland might be able to teach him something about the position.

11. EJ? You’re not seriously counting him are you? He couldn’t even get time in the first D, and you think Fulham wants him back? Do you know something I don’t?

12. Don’t care where he goes, as long as he competes, starts, and progresses towards the World Cup. It would be great as long as Hogson stays.

In other news, Adu’s tweeted recently saying his agent is in talks with a club in Spain. It would be a great move for him technically. La Liga fits his game perfectly. Even the second division is better than riding the pine.

13. I’d like to see him in Italy. I think he’d do better there…I tend to agree that Fulham don’t really need him, as a starter anyway.

14. He’d still have to break into the lineup at Fulham unless Hangeland leaves (and that doesn’t seem likely). Hodgson benched Bocanegra and then sent him packing. Wouldn’t want to see the same thing happen with Gooch.

Still would be better than Birmingham if it happens and he starts.

15. My issues with Fulham are that they will be competing in the Europa League next season, and I’m afraid they are too thin to be able to compete in both the EPL and in Europe, and will end up fighting relegation all season. I don’t want to see a club with multiple Yanks going through that. Plus, if he were to go to one of the big Ligue 1 sides, there would be Champions League football, which I think is the next step for our Yanks.

16. I like to see him at Lyon or in France in general. Moving there from Belgium would help with the comfort level and language.

I don’t think England is for him. Granted last time, he was paired with Titus Bramble, so anything would be a step-up. I’m not sure what going to a country that bases their game on speed and strength would do for him. He could stand to read the game quicker, but he can develop that in other countries.

Spain would be great because it would give him more exposure to technical play and make him focus on technical defensive skills, rather than strength.

17. Fulham had the 4th best defense in the league last season (better than Arsenal who happens to be after Hangeland), so shy of Hangeland or Hughes leaving or getting injured, how would one justify making him a starter? Don’t get me wrong, as a Fulham supporter I would love it if he was on the squad, but he would be on the bench, which is not where us USMNT supports want him to be next season. Perhaps Fulham is looking at cashing in on Hangeland and replacing him with Gooch?

18. I agree with everyone above, that this only happens if/when Hangeland leaves Fulham. But if Hangeland moves on, this does make sense for Fulham. I am not so sure that this is a good move for Onyewu though. I think he would be a great addition to the German Bundesliga or French Ligue 1.

19. It seemed that Cardiff really took a liking to Eddie Johnson toward the end of the season, but then decided not to use him in the last few games. I think Gooch works at Fulham if Hangeland leaves. Hangeland and Hughes worked well together all year and Hodgson would have a problem breaking up that chemistry.

I concur with the above statements that Gooch needs to get regular minutes somewhere in prep for WC2010.

20. Fulham was quite solid at the back last season; Onyewu would be third banana at CB unless they get rid of somebody.

21. This move only makes sense if Hangeland leaves Fulham. Onyewu will not play over Hangeland, and the two of them together would be way too slow of a pairing in England. I’d rather see Onyewu playing in a slightly lesser league than be third choice at Fulham.

22. Well, as long as he doesn’t go to Birmingham. Yikes. Would rather see him in Germany or Italy.
    Though he will be challenged in England and even more in Spain.

23. The pace of the English game is an issue but it’s a physical league with emphasis on size and set pieces. I think he would do well at either Fulham or Birm. He will adjust to the game and it’s always good to have your NAT team players together for club competition, it gives them an advantage when they are in the starting 11 for the USMNT. I think Fulham should buy Donovan next…well, maybe that’s a long shot.

24. Playing time is the key to me for any NATS when with WC2010 coming up. If they lose Hageland (Rumor – Arsenal offering $15MM) then Gooch steps right in. Can Fulham turn down that kinda $$$. I don’t think if they can get Gooch for free as a replacement.

Bottomline for me is playing time.

Question does a free transfer player still try to get a bonus from the team on top of the yearly wages?

25. Snore. I concur with the Italy or Spain suggestion.

Gooch is Gooch, but he really is slow. He needs to be mentored by someone like Maldini.

26. I like it. If Fulham can push for a spot in Europe both Duece & Gooch will be in the right environment to push American soccer to a new level. I am guessing EJ will be sold outright.

27. Unless they sell Hangeland or Hughes it will be tough for Onyewu to become a regular. Roy is loyal to his starting XI and will not mess with it much during the Premier League campaign unless there is an injury. If he signs and Hangeland and Hughes remain he will only see playing time in Europa Cup and FA Cup games. He is better off to go to City and play every week.

28. hopefully “Woy” does sign him; that would be three American beasts in the box on set pieces. Who says Rory Delap is the only guy who can do a long throw-in? I also hope EJ gets good time.

29. I think this is a wonderful move for Onyewu! Fulham are a club on the up and with Hangeland pairing with him and Swarzer behing them I think that Fulham will be even better defensivly next year. Hope this move happens!