Late own-goal gives D.C. United draw at Seattle

2008_017Seattle Sounders FC - JPEG

The Seattle Sounders looked well on their way to another home victory when Fredy Montero cooly slipped a shot inside the left post to give Seattle a 3-1 lead on D.C. United, but a fierce comeback by D.C. helped the Eastern Conference leaders escape Qwest Field with a point.

Halftime substitute Christian Gomez brought D.C. United within a goal with a second-half strike before Tyrone Marshall headed a Chris Pontius cross into his own net in the 87th minute to help give D.C. United a 3-3 tie on Wednesday night in one of the more exciting matches of the MLS season.

Seattle dominated play for much of the match after overcoming an early goal from Pontius. Osvaldo Alonso blasted a long-range strike for the equalizer before a Marc Burch own-goal gave the Sounders the lead.

Montero made the score 3-1 with a dribble through the D.C. defense before sliding a left-footed shot past Josh Wicks in the 57th minute. Six minutes later, Gome started the comeback with his third goal of the season.

Surprised to see Seattle blow a two-goal lead? Impressed with Gomez's second-half performance? Starting to believe in D.C. as a serious title contender?

Share your thoughts on the match below.

Comments

1. I can’t think of a worse way to tie a game than an own goal in the 87th minute. Having said that both Montero and Alonso’s goals were well taken and we are really moving the ball around better than we have. Still need to find a left back at the transfer window.

2. Complaining directly to ESPN is futile and your comments will fall upon deaf ears. The way to make you voice heard is to complain to MLS sponsors who purchase ad time on ESPN broadcasts. Those advertisers’ pre-match and halftime ads were not seen by the targeted audience – if I were an advertiser I’d be seriously pissed. Let the advertisers know how you feel about MLS’s second class treatment by ESPN.

3. From a Sounders’ fan perspective all of this talk about a “great game” is just wasted breath.

The fans bring it every game, but the team is not yet up to snuff.

I think I know why TFC fans didn’t cry when Marshall was traded.

4. Concerning the ESPN debacle, it’s incredibly frustrating as a fan in Seattle because with ESPN taking the broadcasting rights, we lose our local coverage which would’ve let us watch a brilliant game over that college baseball crap.

Seriously though, can’t ESPN show different games in different regions of the country? No one in Seattle cares about a baseball game between Virginia and Arkansas! Just think of March Madness – they show games for the local teams. Why couldn’t ESPN do this at least for the Northwest and DC networks, whose fans are suffering because ESPN chose their game to be broadcast nationally?

5. @emanon

Keller is intense! you can tell he is pushing his team to play beyond their expectations. They have some room to improve but best of luck to this team.

6. Sigi taking out three attacking options (Montero, Ljungberg, Jaqua) and replacing them with two defensive players and an attack-minded midfielder was a mistake. Though the players should be blamed as well for not being able to hold the victory.

7. I am so disappointed with ESPN I don’t even have words to describe! This was by far the best MLS game in a looong time and I couldn’t even start watching until the 60th minute. Oh and then ESPN tries to apologize by showing a replay at 1am ET. Lucky for me I’m off from school for summer so I was able to stay up and watch it. I wonder how those people who had to work 2 day must be feeling. This makes me sick. When will MLS move to a Fox or CBS, like how the NHL moved to NBC. No wonder hockey is never on ESPN anymore!

8. Thanks for the feedback link. I have given my feedback to ESPN. Suggest others continue to give feedback to ESPN. Be professional but let them know we care. As far as the game it looked great on TV when it finally came on. The crowd is fantastic. Games like these are classic’s that would help the sport/MLS grow, but unfortunately we continue to get shafted at every turn. It’s time to start making our voices heard

9. I’ve noticed a handful of times that Schmidt plays what I call the ‘Holmgren Strategy’ when he gets a lead – going to an ultra conservative defensive-based strategy when he has a two-goal lead. It almost bit the Sounders last Saturday and it definitely bit them last night.

Why does it make sense to take away the lineup and strategy that got you that lead – why not leave your best 11 on the field and keep playing your game? I don’t get it.

10. @ emanon: thank you for the link. I submitted my compaint. I hope everyone here does the same. I’m tired of being dogged by WNBA and CWS games.

As for the match, it was what I expected. Sounders were going to attack and United was going for the victory as well. Great match. IT is nice not to complain about referees.

11. Sounders attack throughout entire game was world class. Not surprised to see them lose lead as Sigi has them way too deep at the end with no pressure on wingers and crosses. DC was surely fortunate to get a point as they were on their heels for 85 minutes, and two goals were gifts by Marshall.

12. MLS Sounder, Alonso just scored a better goal than Rossi, 40 yards out and Under Pressure. If LeToux is just half a step quicker in front of goal Sounders score 5. Seattle’s right mid fielder completely missing, than Riley backs up too much, on last DC cross and score, .

13. I live in Toronto and was trying to find it on the net. I found it from the 15th minute in, so I was pleasantly surprised, but confused because the baseball game was still on. ESPN (CBC, TSN, Sportsnet in Canada) all do the same crap. Sports like baseball, hockey and even basketball are hard to predict for duration, so soccer has always been getting screwed. Could be worse though, Champions League gets bumped for “CURLING” on TSN in Canada.

14. Good thing ESPN was showing some old games on ESPNU and on Classic instead of just switching the baseball game over to one of those channels.

I just hope Setana Sports goes under and ESPN creates a soccer only channel

15. ESPN totally dropped the ball on not having a back-up plan for the game. Being from Omaha, I am partial to the CWS and understand the priority an elimination game has over a regular season MLS match.

The thing that made it annoying to me was that it was this particular MLS match, because, frankly, if this was another RSL-Rapids or Revs-NYRB game, I probably wouldn’t have cared. From what I did get to see it was a great match…

16. For everyone who’s upset with ESPN, don’t just complain about it here. Go to their web site and compalin. There’s a contact us tab at the bottom where you can e-mail in a complaint. I am pretty sure that ESPN execs don’t read SBI (although they should).
    What I got to see of the game was good stuff. Love to see Gomez hitting his stride.

17. The game started way past my bedtime, but I decided to stay up for it. What a mistake. I fell asleep around the 80th minute. Next time, they should move the broadcast to ESPN FU.

18. ESPN, you’re dead to me. So incredibly happy they lost the rights to the Champions League. I understand the baseball game went to extra innings and it was a good game. That’s fine. I love baseball. They could have moved the MLS game over to regular ESPN or even ESPN Classic. Do SOMETHING! Oh, they replayed it at 1am. Awesome. Works out well for people on the East Coast who have to get up for work in the morning. I really wanted to watch this game. Thanks for nothing, ESPN. I would rather have Max Bretos and Christopher Sullivan commentate every game for the rest of my life than have you pull the crap you did last night.

19. Ives, is there any place or anyone at ESPN we can complain to. I finally couldnt stay awake anymore and went to sleep.

I was really looking forward to this match.

20. I’m at work and exhausted having as I got so worked up last night about ESPN not switching the MLS game over to ESPN and having to sit through the most boring of all sports – baseball. Ugh.

Did see the last 20 minutes or so and the Sounders were the better team. Can’t believe that DC pulled it out. I guess Keller was crazed at his defense for not being able to close out a game that they lead 3 to 1.

Kudos for Gomez, Pontius and Quaranta. Still concerned that DC’s defense and their 3 in the back without Olsen as the 2nd holding Mid is gonna continue to cause them problems. What are they going to do for the next few weeks when Jacovic goes to Gold Cup for Canada?

DC should be a contender – not the best team, certainly not the best coach, but talented players and depth of squad should carry them forward into the playoffs.

Vamos United!

21. OK fine, Baseball will get more viewers, BUT, GD’it ESPN. Get a backup plan! Don’t act like, “Well-ESPN is all hip with the worlds game” and then delay the broadcast of your game of the week. Jesus! How come on Dish there are like 4-5 ESPN alternative channels that I never see used. Get a clue and use modern technology to solve this issue!

22. To be fair. DCU v Sounders < Man U v. Arsenal.

Also, I am sure the College World Series had much higher ratings than the MLS game of the week, which only attracts a quarter of a million viewers.

23. I wish there was a way we could boycott ESPN, but they’re a monopoly..they don’t care what we think….ESPN SUCKS!! for having me watch baseball instead…..I can’t see that ever happening in England…waiting for a baseball game to finish to watch Man United vs Arsenal…ridiculous…

24. ESPN really does hate soccer or at least the people who make decisions like last night. ESPN has MLS game of the week on ESPN 2 but the College World Series is on and goes into extra innings. They pick up the game 60 minutes into it!!! 4 goals have already been scored. You had two of the ESPN channels showing recorded shows (the US game and a Tiger Woods documentary).

It was sickening and very disappointing.

25. Good end-to-end stuff and a level of urgency we don’t always see in midseason matches. Very fun match, indeed.

26. Yeah ESPN blows, I work for a bank that rhymes with Shitty so I feel your pain Ives. But how about those rookies on DC, how good is Wallace and Pontius, two different style players, but performing great their first year. Ives we need a scouting report on next year’s draft, some of that inside scoop. 🙂 (yeah that’s right I dropped a smiley face)

27. I live in DC and I had to sit through college baseball! WTF!!! come on ESPN! They should have moved the game to another channel! idots! I am glad, they lost the Champions Leaque games. They can show more golf and college baseball! BORING!

28. ESPN anti soccer conspiracy continues. Seriously, college baseball… College… Baseball. Baseball. B-a-s-e-b-a-l-l. Really?! I can’t wait for Cornell vs Dartmouth pickleball championship to fill up World Cup 2010 time slots. I just don’t get it, ESPN the world wide leader in basketball, football, baseball and sometimes other stuff if it doesn’t take away from the top 3 mentioned.

29. The game was awesome! Truly proud to be an American soccer fan, and dedicated to the MLS since day 1: I was at the MLS inaugural game with San Jose Clash (and got a Wynalda poster!). Games like these make me beam with American pride. I do it anyway, then ESPN acts like asswipes and tries to smother my fire; but nay, watching it on espn360 and *hearing the raucous crowd* was amazing! back at bonfire status baby!

i was at the Sounders v quakes game back in April, so I can *feel* the crowd. it truly is an experience every MLS fan must go through.

as for the result, ya it was a tie and Marshall broke my heart like Ricardo Clark did the other day, but hearing/seeing the crowd and viewing an awesome game really made me more than happy.

30. Man, I was looking forward to some mid-week MLS action, and espn pulls that cr*p. I swear, I hope Arkansas and Virginia never win any NCAA competetion of any sort ever again for prolonging that nonsense. Cripes, they don’t even use real baseball bats. And God forbid espn interrupts old golf highlights on Classic to provide an alternate feed.

As for the game, sigh, how come Red Bulls can’t ever have an exciting game with scoring and a big enthusiastic crowd in a non-Beckham game?

Part of me hopes you guys (Seattle) throttle us Saturday night so our FO finally wakes up and gets rid of the coach, GM, and some dead weight, but I’m not holding my breath.

31. I don’t think Pontius disappeared- look at the game again. He was often breaking up Seattle’s pushes up the right all the way back to the box and into the center.

He also opened up the game for DC by moving out very wide to the left often. The own-goal by Marshal was off a play like that. Pontius quickly got open wide left and Quaranta put it at his feet with loads of time. I don’t know how Gomez missed the resulting perfect cross, but luckily Marshal didn’t. Too bad Pontius won’t get his third assist of the season.

32. That was an incredible show. I was there – 4th row in the south end. Sounders played great – apparently they still have to learn how to kill a game off Fans were great except for that schmo who threw the bottle at Wicks. The atmosphere at Qwest is even better than it looks on TV.

Huge props to United too, who came here to play and didn’t just bunker down and hack like almost every other opponent to come to Qwest this year. Was particularly impressed with Quaranta and Pontius.

Too bad ESPN boned it. The half of the game they did show, it sounds like they got half the players’ names wrong. JACK-wa. La TOE. Weak.

33. incredible game, incredible atmosphere at qwest field tonight. i can’t ask anything more of my sounders, as they dominated a very good dc united team for most of the game. unhappy with the tie? of course, but seattle proved tonight that they’re as good if not better than the best teams in the league.

34. ESPN should really end their charade of actually caring about soccer. As mentioned earlier, they really dropped the ball by not having a backup plan for an overly long baseball game. And of course since ESPN took the broadcasting rights, it wasn’t on any of my local Seattle-area TV stations. Thanks ESPN!

35. Yeah, this was the first MLS game I’ve watched in ages and I was impressed both with the level of play and with the crowd. Pretty cool thing to watch.

36. I was at the game. Fun to watch with all the attacking. Another great energetic crowd. It is awesome to have a full stadium with 90% standing and yelling for the entire match.

Hurtado was a beast in the back, he was all over Emilio all night long. It’s definitely good to have Alonso back in the lineup, his ball winning and composure on the ball are tough to replace.

Agree about Pontius, he seemed to disappear for parts of the game, but it felt like every time he got the ball he made something happen.

37. Didnt watch the game, but i was reading sumware that Rossi is plannin on goin to Juventus, which might open it up for Altidore a bit, but Villareal is askin for Trezuguet in exchange, soooo, can’t really say, and i think David Villa chose Madrid, is also wat i read

38. Alonso’s strike is going to be the goal of the week. I will also say that the DC goalkeeper had a tremendous game and made at least 6 saves that could have been goals. The seattle offense really came into their own today and gave DC more then they could handle. I’m a little disappointed that they dropped a 3-1- lead, but when you have somewhere close to 10 chances that nobody would complain about if they went in then you are playing very well. Watch out NYRB, Seattle will want blood after this tremendous effort. As for DC United, they played very well, squandering almost all of Seattle’s waves of attack and went forward some themselves. I’m very impressed with Pontius. He isn’t always playing and you wont recognize him for most of the game, but he alqways has one or two moments when he changes the game.

39. ESPN is currently rebroadcasting the game on ESPN2. Easily the most entertaining MLS game of the year. Both teams were constantly looking forward and going for goal, several quality finishes, great crowd….just a great night for the league overall. ESPN really dropped the ball by not having a plan B once the baseball game went to extra innings tho.

40. too bad espn missed like 3/4 of the match trying to finish airing, wait for it, wait for it…

college baseball, wow. espn sucks