Report: Edgar Castillo “would play for the United States”

Edgar Castillo (ISIphotos.com)

Photo by ISIphotos.com

Edgar Castillo has apparently changed his mind.

Two years after saying he wouldn't play for the United States even if called, the American-born defender is open to the idea of playing for the U.S. national team despite having already appeared for the Mexican national team.

In an interview with USSoccerplayers.com, Castillo stated that he "would play" for the U.S. national team and ready to use the new FIFA rule that allows players to switch national teams at any age as long as they haven't played in official competitions.

We touched on this possibility two weeks ago, laying out the details of Castillo's status and the potential for him to change his mind. As a speedy and skillful left back, Castillo could provide some much-needed depth to one of the weaker positions in the U.S. national team pool.

What do you think of this development? Are you open to having him join the U.S. national team? Think he is just an opportunist who doesn't care about the U.S. national team? Think he can get some playing time for the U.S. team? Happy to see a trend of players choosing the United States over other countries?

Comments

1. But imagine just for sake playing at the Azteca with this lineup with Sub.

———Altidore(Cooper)—-Davis(Dempsey)—–

Donovan(Adu)——————–Dempsey(Torres)

——–Jones(Clark)—–Bradley(Feilhaber)—-

Bocanegra—–Oguchie——Oguchie——-Spector
    (Castillo)—(Bocanegra)—-(Oguchie)—-(Charandulo)

——————-Howard—————-
    ——————-(Guzan)—————–

2. I know all you guys saying u would take him are all the same internet tough guy idiots who talk shiznit about one Guisseppe Rossi and his decision.All of you can go starigh to hell!!

3. If he can play, he can play…if his wishy-washiness about who to play for doesn’t effect his performance on the field, give him the shirt!

As solid as Boca was at LB – we need depth. Any time we can have 2 or 3 players capable of playing a position, we give ourselves a better chance.

The fact that we really had no one Bob felt comfortable bringing off the bench yesterday – save maybe for Bornstein – says we need to take all the talent we can get right now.

4. Cap him. I don’t really think we’re in a position to snub talented left sided players. It’s been said before, but Bornstein? Beasley? Pearce? c’mon. Castillo certainly brings something to the table that these guys never will.

5. Depth…sounds good to me. Everyone close your eyes and try to remember eddie lewis playing left back against the czech republic 3 years ago. Please make the call and call him up.

Honestly, he might not start, but surely he would be ahead of heath pearce.

6. Well this is nice to hear that he would want to play for the USA but he has to talk to Orozco and Torres and see if he really would like to come to play for USA and get buried on the Bench with his Fellows (Torres, Orozco, Adu, Cooper, and others more to be name)

7. Bradley shouldn’t call him? Why? Because he lacks heart and integrity. He stated himself that he wouldn’t play for the United States. Now that Mexico is falling off the cliff and on verge of failing to qualify for the World Cup he wants back in. You must live with the choices you make, Edgar. Have fun not playing in the World Cup.

8. I think that this is just a ploy to get back into the Mexican team-telling a website is not the same as an official statement, he can always retract it and say he was misinterpreted, misquoted, mistranslated, whatever… Jermaine Jones came out with a statement and said that he will play for the U.S. and told the German national team coach- he burned the bridge and never looked back… I think that this guy is just trying to get some leverage…

We’ll see what happens… is it worth bringing him in when USMNT has to work on integrating Jones already? The chemistry of this team will be vital to overcoming the talent shortfall if we’re to advance in 2010…

9. as someone else said earlier…cap him…lock him up for the US…then you have the rest of his career to assess whether he belongs or not…its really a no-brainer

10. Adding a player of his quality would add depth at a position we are weak at. Despite all of the criticism of Bradley concerning his tactics, substitutions and line-ups, this is one area (i.e. recruiting players that have opportunities to play for other nations) that he is certainly better than Arena and Rongen whose comments supposedly catalyzed Rossi and Subotic to go elsewhere

11. This guy has been under-performing for Club America. He wasn’t even called into the Mexico Gold Cup squad even though they are using a B-team for the most part. I’ve seen him play at both the national and club level, and while he provides a great offensive spark, he’s a defensive liability. He won’t be much of an upgrade, but he’d provide depth.

12. I’m down with the kid if he’s indeed had a change of heart and understands he would be fighting for a roster spot. He’s American born and raised, we need the depth (and in-team competition), and it’d be (as Ives said) a continued trend of dual nationals choosing the USA.

My only criticism is how many times he used the words “ME” or “MY career” or “what’s best for ME”. Now that we’ve seen what 11 guys bleeding for each other and that jersey can do…

13. Of course he’s being an opportunist, but he was born here and actually speaks English, two things we can’t say for Jermaine Jones.

But either way, whether its Jones or Castillo or anyone else – if they put on the Red White & Blue, and play hard for the shirt, then I’ll accept them.

14. He’s great going forward — pretty mediocre on defense. But I think he’d be a very useful LB against certain teams; especially CONCACAF teams that like to bunker against us.

15. One of the more important lessons of the Confed Cup was that we need depth. For example, Brazil brought Dani Alves off the bench, we brought Bornstein and Klejstan. I like Bornstein a lot, but while he’s a pretty good MLS player, Alves is world class.

I’d love to have players like Castillo adding to the depth and pushing for starting spots. If Beasley and Bornstein are our options at left wing or left back, then I think there’s certainly room for Castillo.

Another thing we learned is that Bob Bradley doesn’t seem to hold grudges — with the possible exception of Torres, whose situation I simply don’t understand. But Torres’s case aside, Coach didn’t punish Rico Clark or Klejstan for their red cards. As soon as Clark was off suspension, he was back in the starting lineup, where he belonged.

16. Please people (BFBS and Green)…read the links provided before commenting…he says this in one of the links:

“They have a lot of good players. I don’t think I’d come in and be handed anything. But I’d like a chance to compete”

If he comes with that attitude then great. bring him in and give him a shot.

17. As I always say on these threads…cap them all and let god (or Bob Bradley) sort it out.

Cap anyone reasonable we can. Then worry if we need him.

18. Please take him. He’s quality. I don’t care that he hated on us earlier. He probably took a moment to think about where our program is headed, and realized that it was in his best interests to be a part of it. This guys is wayyyy better than our other options at that position (besides Bocanegra of course).

19. Spector&Dolo at right
    Gooch, Boca, Demerit in the Center
    Castillo & Boca at left?

Not bad for depth for defense.

Frankie might not even make the WC roster with everyone healthy

20. Yeah, he’s getting no attention from Aguirre and wasn’t on Sven’s radar either. I’m not surprised he’s feeling the impending sense that he won’t get to play in the World Cup with Mexico.

I say call him in, cap him, and worry about whether or not he is a long term solution later. It’d be cruel from his point of view, but the more chances we get to weaken the Mexican pool the better.

21. I have to say this new rule is bunk. It’s ridiculous that a guy can play for a senior national team and then switch to another. I welcome talent and competition to our squad, but this just feels dirty. And that goes for Jones too.

22. If he can help and have good chemistry with the USMNT then yes….what do we have to lose. Cal him up for the Gold Cup pronto!

BTW I also heard Rossi has regretted playing for Italy and wishes he didn’t make such a dumb move playing for the Azzuri!:)

23. Possible 23 for South Africa 2010:
    GK: Howard, Guzan, Robles
    Defenders: Boca, Gooch, Spector, Cherundolo, Demerit, Castillo, Hejduk
    Mid: Jones, Edu, Bradley, Clark, Torres, Feilhaber, Donovan, Adu
    Forwards: Altidore, Davies, Ching, Dempsey, Cooper or Casey

24. Other than the fact he chose to play for Mexico I don’t know a lot about this guy. Is he getting quality minutes for his pro team? Is he someone the US has said they regret got away? What’s the word on this guy?

25. Somehow I suspect that USSF made the call the moment they heard of this. Which is the exactly right thing to do. If he comes in off the bench to help out on the left wing at the Azteca, I’ll crack a smile.

26. He wants to switch because Mexico has better players at that position and Aguirre does not rate him good. It has nothing to do how the fack the US played in the Confed Cup. And about this top dog thing I agree for now but let’s wait until August 12th to confirm.

27. If he can help yes. He was born in the US. Mexico called him up and he took it. But now things change. Give the guy a shot. If Rossi wasn’t in the Italy team but tearing up the club circuit we would take him. Same thing here.

28. I’m not sure why we are constantly talking about Castillo. Correct me if I’m wrong, but this guy isn’t exactly lighting it up. If he can’t even get a call up for Mexico, I’m not sure how much he would help us. Depth is nice, though.

29. Even said, i would still take him. Just think the change of heart is kind of funny. Here is a situation involving a kid making a young dumb comment. I’m over it, but are his potential teammates? Even if not the depth and competition for spots is a good thing.

30. my thoughts exactly beautiful.. seems awful convenient that now that the US has established they are the concacaf top dog that he wants to play for us

31. I have more respect for those players who stay committed to play for one national team (i.e. Rossi). That being said, it’s everyone’s perogative to change their mind (players and fans) and the current FIFA laws allow it. We’ll see if he’s good enough for the USMNT us as it seems he’s not for Mexico

32. no problem with bringing him in.
    make him earn the spot, same as anyone else, but the more the merrier. we need more talent.