by GIANFRANCO PANIZO
For the Americans Abroad, Wednesday was a decent day in terms of performance.
Kenny Cooper scored his third goal for 1860 Munich, netting in the 50th minute of their cup match vs. Hertha Berlin. Cooper's goal gave the hosts a 2-0 lead at the time, but Hertha Berlin would pull level and force penalties. 1860 Munich won the game in the penalty shootout.
Freddy Adu also saw action, coming off the bench in the 64th minute to make his Belenenses debut. Adu was active in helping Belenenses search for an equalizer, but it was to no avail as they would fall, 1-0, to Rio Ave.
Fulham forward Eddie Johnson enjoyed a rare outing as well, going 91 minutes in their 2-1 extra time loss to Manchester City. Johnson was in Fulham's starting eleven.
Here is how the rest of the Americans Abroad fared on Wednesday:
ENGLAND (Carling Cup)
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made six saves in Everton's 4-0 win vs. Hull City.
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes and made six saves in Aston Villa's 1-0 win vs. Cardiff City.
- Brad Friedel dressed but did not play in Aston Villa's 1-0 win vs. Cardiff City.
- Clint Dempsey did not dress in Fulham's 2-1 loss vs. Manchester City.
- Eddie Johnson started and played 91 minutes in Fulham's 2-1 extra time loss vs. Manchester City.
- Jozy Altidore did not dress in Hull City's 4-0 loss vs. Everton.
- Marcus Hahnemann started, played 90 minutes and made six saves in Wolverhampton Wanderers' 1-0 loss vs. Manchester United.
SCOTLAND (CIS Insurance Cup)
- DaMarcus Beasley did not dress in Rangers' 2-1 win vs. Queen of the South.
- Maurice Edu did not dress in Rangers' 2-1 win vs. Queen of the South. He is recovering from an injury.
- Dominic Cervi dressed but did not play in Celtic's 4-0 win vs. Falkirk.
GERMANY (DFB Pokal)
- Kenny Cooper started, played 68 minutes, received a yellow card and scored a GOAL in TSV 1860 Munich's 2-2 draw vs. Hertha Berlin. TSV 1860 Munich won the game on penalty kicks.
- Luis Robles dressed but did not play in Kaiserslautern's 2-1 win vs. Bayer Leverkusen.
FRANCE (Coupe de La Ligue)
- Carlos Bocanegra did not dress in Rennes' 2-1 win vs. Sochaux.
- Charlie Davies did not dress in Sochaux's 2-1 loss vs. Rennes.
PORTUGAL (League Cup)
- Freddy Adu came off the bench and played 26 minutes in Belenenses' 1-0 loss vs. Rio Ave.
DENMARK (League Cup)
- Michael Parkhurst started and played 90 minutes in FC Nordsejaellands' 4-1 win vs. AB Copenhagen.
- Marcus Tracy came off the bench and played 10 minutes in Aalborg's 3-0 win vs. Thisted.
- Oguchi Onyewu dressed but did not play in AC MIlan's 1-0 loss vs. Udinese.
- Alejandro Bedoya started and played 90 minutes in Orebro SK's 0-0 draw vs. IFK.
What do you think of these midweek performances? Believe Cooper should get called up for the October qualifiers? Think Johnson's performance will warrant him more minutes with Fulham? Happy to finally see Adu playing club soccer again?
Share your thoughts below.