Mexico vs. Honduras: Your Running Commentary

MexicoLogoHondurasCrest

No, we don't normally have commentary posts for Mexico matches, but Mexico vs. Honduras is a big-time CONCACAF qualifier and these teams are playing a great game (Telemundo, 9pm). If you are watching the match, please feel free to share your thoughts, opinions and some play-by-play in the comments section below.

Enjoy the match.

Comments

1. Bringing up abortion, Nagasaki, the Trail of Tears, and war in a thread about sports? Ah, yes, it can only be the world’s game. Seriously people. Don’t make me turn on baseball temporarily so I can see a more civil rivalry. I love soccer but sheesh

2. ENA LOPEZ-

I have no idea who your comment is directed at? But if it’s at me, in no way shape or form is it an insult to your country or your National Team!
    It’s highlighting the fact that I’m sure the USMNT is going to find it VERY HARD to win in Honduras! And if they lose, and seeing the way they’re playing, there’s a big possibility that just that may happen, they’ll probably end up hating you even more than they hate Mexico, because some, not all, are just haters!
    I respect everyone, but some US fanboys love to find anything wrong with Mexico and criticize it, because as you and I know, their country, their people, their policies, and most importantly their soccer team is just PERFECT!!!

3. WELL, I HONDURAN AND I DO THINK WE ARE A GREAT TEAM OVERALL. I HAVE ACCEPT THAT THRE’S OTHER BETTER THAN U AND THATS WHAT I LOVE ABOUT MY COUNTRY! WE DON’T JUDGE OTHER, WE ACCPET WHAT WE ARE AND STILL KEEP STRIVING FOR THE BEST! I LOVE HONDURAS! MEXICO JUST STOP TALKING BAD ABOUT OTHERS!

4. BLANCO should retire?

Just look at what he did in Costa Rica! Setting up the first two goals and running the length of the field to be in position to score the third one, he didn’t, but HE WAS THERE!
    Yesterday he was great the first half but by the second he was fried!
    …Dude he’s almost 37 years old!

5. Love him or hate him, Blanco is a character! His love for Mexico is obvious and it shows. He’ll do anything to make them win, and he’s been crucial in their revival.

He’s also savvy enough to know that he is a polarizing figure capable of splitting opinions, and creating controversy.

But even though his antics (carbon copied from the Italians by the way) can be unnerving to some, his skills as a soccer player are beyond discussion!

6. Watching Blanco lay on the ground for the last 5 min of that match was the most infuriating thing I’ve seen in a while. It was like they were trying to resuscitate him right on the field, and then he was up and allowed back on before play resumed. If the world cup is going to allow shenanigans like that, I may not be able to watch. If i were the gaffer of Honduras I would be throwing chairs and stuff of the pitch. I know that theatrics are “part of the game” but man that was just stupid, and classless.

I wonder how it would go if CONCACAF put an American ref crew in on a Mexico match, kinda like they do when they put Mexican Refs on our matches. I’d bet it would be interesting to say the least.

Blanco needs to retire, and the refs need to card more for time wasting. As it was last night the game was only 85 mins long because apparently, Blanco is in charge for the last 5 mins, that is unless Mexico is behind.

7. lammertro-

‘The US didn’t win at home by miscall.’

Americans are such hypocrites! If you could, you would win by selling your mothers and daughters!

Go back to invading countries and bombing innocent people!

P.S. I’m only half serious also.

8. Hahaha, salchi…….the US could let the other team score on them at will and people would still hate them. It has nothing to do with having a 3rd world mentality. But since you brought up “cultural mentality”, lets analyze our culture.
    I’ve always thought “by any means necessary” was the true American motto. Especially true when it comes to the US, Agent orange, Nagasaki, trail of tears, shooting the buffalo, burning Atlanta and etc. It’s how the west/WWII/anything was wont. This country wasn’t built by “fair play”, just ask the redcoats.

P.S. I’m only half-serious.

9. I realized last night that of any sport, any team, or any country…..The Mexican National Team is my least favorite on the planet.

The fact that the little kid Gio Dos Santo’s continues to dive his way to PK’s from “hardly touched” situations makes me even angrier.

One day his kids will grow up and wonder why their Daddy was always on the ground holding his ankle.

10. 4. El Salvador according to white(Blanco) And for all you non-aborted Mexican fans, diving and faking an injury is NOT part of the game. Win with class and dignity. Acting like primitive humans is not part of the game. Look who started the game and ask how they feel about cheats!!! So keep your third world mentality and forever be hated by the rest of the world who play the game fair…Except the African countries!!!

11. @ White (Blanco) U putting El Salvador finishing in fourth would require Mexico to lose or tie against them in AZTECA!!! Dumbazz! Too bad when your mom was pregnant at 15 she did not abort you!! What a waste of skin you and all the Mexican fans are!

1. Mexico

2. Honduras

3. USA

12. To all the Mexican trolls:

Have your fun now, but know that a country with a population of over 110 million people, all of whom play and are obsessed with soccer and only soccer, can just barely beat a whole bunch of very small neighbors, usually with the help of dubious officiating.

And, hilariously enough, your one very large neighbor to the North, who regularly beats you there, doesn’t even field a team with its best athletes (all of whom play basketball, football, baseball, and maybe hocket). If the US actually put effort and energy into soccer of anywhere near the magnitude that Mexico does it wouldn’t even be a rivalry — I mean, do you seriously think anyone could stop Allen Iverson, Darren Sproles, Vince Young, Brandon Jacobs, Percy Harvin, etc. if they actually wantd to play soccer??? So if i was going to troll I’d probably try to stick to something that made a little more sense, you know? Like tacos al pastor, say, which are delicious.

13. If the official had any courage, he would have shown Blanco at least a yellow card as soon as rose from the dead and stood on the touchline ready to return.

14. This Guy–

Mexican is a race per the Texas School Case that the Supreme Court decided. They deemed mexican as a race–that way Mexicans in White schools showed integration, albeit at African America cost

15. Jcc and Chris, shut the eff up. There’s something called winning with dignity and Mexicans don’t have it. When the US is up late you don’t seem them faking injuries, getting taking off on a stretcher, etc. I’ve come to believe this is how Mexican and Latin American soccer players are raised. You may call it winning at all cost, but I call it classless. It’s pu**y stuff really.

16. As far as I’m concerned YOU ARE THE TROLL, and you are the one threatened by the resurgence of the MNT! You had your racist fun for ten years, now it’s our turn!

Posted by: meromero | September 10, 2009 at 12:21 AM

I had no idea Mexican was a race? I learn something from a Mexican a day.

17. Love all the jealous haters!!!

HATE US EVEN MORE!!!

1) Twelve game unbeaten streak

2) Second place in qualifiers

3) When all is said and done:

1. Mexico

2. Honduras

3. USA

4. El Salvador!

Posted by: Blanco | September 09, 2009 at 11:46 PM

You my friend are an idiot. You don’t remember what happened on June 6th that made you cry?
    El Salvador

18. Mexico won the only way they know how by penalty.They have got as far as they are now because of that and only that. They claim to be big and bad out of the field but when it’s time to play all they do is cry and complaint if things don’t go their way. Blanco is so lame and fake.

19. hey everyone, I’m disappointed to see how my National Team (Honduras) played tonight… Anyway, we still are in the battle for going to the WC, and all we need to qualify is beating the USMNT at San Pedro Sula, because in the last match you and Costa Rica will play for one and half spots to South Africa.

I expect the three countries that will go to South Africa are Mexico, Honduras and your team: USA. Sorry for Costa Rica but they will have to play against Argentina.

Wow man, did you see how Blanco was talking shi-t to Suazo, and how him lost a bunch of time and then getting “revived” by some water??? That’s just bad man!

Congrats on your winning against T&T, you’re almost in the World Cup,

Greetings from Honduras and see you guys at San Pedro in October.

20. “Its called winning. If it was over the top he would have been carded. Was he walking the line, maybe, deal with it.”

No, it’s called diving and it’s a despicable thing to do. Of course you think it’s fine for Mexico to do if it gets them the win, but if Honduras had dived and made a penalty kick you’d be pissed off. And saying the ref won the game for them.

As for the rest of concacaf having wet dreams about Mexico not making the world cup, at least our wet dream was born out of reality (you guys were in fourth place), unlike Mexico’s wet dream of being ‘Kings of Concacaf’ (whatever the hell that means). Sorry, but there is no king here. Mex, Hond, U.S. and maybe C.R. are on the same level. As you would say, deal with it.

21. I love that machismo is so ingrained in Latin culture, Chris has somehow managed to rationalize diving and falling at a stiff breeze and rolling around like you’ve been shot as evidence of manliness.

That’s cute. I would pat him on his head if I could.

22. Watsup with the full-on 30 second commercials in the middle of the action? We’ve just discovered something more annoying than espn’s commentators.

23. Chris,
    All I know is we also played like shi today and were able to eke out a 1-0 win at home against an inferior team without cheating. I know it’s hard for you and your countrymen to believe, but yes, you can win without being deceitful b@stards!

24. Did Dos perform a Rooney? Wasn’t that an EPL player Dos fell over?

That was a great performance by Blanco on how to kill a game. Like it or not, it was classic. Telemundo showed him sprinting back onto the pitch every time he touched the sideline.

25. How can US fans criticize Mexico after the pathetic exhibition by the USMT today… is beyond me!

Posted by: johnromero | September 10, 2009 at 12:26 AM

The US didn’t win at home by miscall. Mexico was supposed to get a free kick not a penalty. The contact was initiated outside of the box not inside. But Gio did fall to easy.

El Salvador is the only team in Concacaf not to get blown out by any team. They have lost every game by 1 goal exactly or they have been in it for a draw or the win. Mexico is the other if you don’t count the 2-0 in the US. And guess who plays El Tri. El Salvador needs those points to get at least the playoff spot.

26. TheDude-

27. Chris, what makes someone more of a little girl? Diving and falling when somebody rubs your shoulder or calling attention to it?
    Go away chica pequeña

28. Even the rescue by a Mexican Swat team on a hijacked plane in Mexico City today, saving the lives of many Americans, was perfectly executed!

Maybe Americans should just admit that Mexico sometimes does things right, and does the right thing!

29. If a player on my team gets a perceived knock and does not go down in extra time with a 1-0 lead, I will/would be upset. If US fans are offended by this, than please stick to your own sports no harm done. If you want to hang with the rest of the world, grow a pair you little girls.

30. “Latin Americans are raised to win soccer games. That means in extra time you fake injuries if its a close game and to your advantage. If you can’t wrap your head around that concept, then that’s your problem US fans. Perhaps you should just follow the NFL if you can’t hang with the rest of the world.”

You just admitted to encouraging cheating by saying “faking” injury. i bet you like PKs that are a result of a dive. i can’t believe how dumb you are. you just encourage cheating. unbelievable.

31. This is what happened the last time Mexico beat Honduras in a do or die qualifier in Tegucigalpa, for all the little fanboys that post here.
    After a 3-1 score that cost Honduras the elimination prior to that most boring of World Cups US 1994, the Honduran crowd invaded the field and started to punch the Mexican players, with Garcia Aspe surrounded by as many as nine crazed fans, beating the crap out of three, and running for his life. Striker Luis Flores was the last to leave the field after speaking with Fernando Shwartz. By the time he got into the tunnel, a fan approached him with a gun in his hand ready to shoot! If not because he slipped at the last moment and was wrestled to the ground by a Honduran policia, he’d probably be dead! The MNT had to wait four hours inside the stadium before they where able to leave! No armored vehicles for us like the ones the pedantic Americans have to use, even in the WC in Germany!!!
    So stop acting like you know anything about our rivalries, and judging our teams, and go pray that the USMNT makes it to the WC!

32. Latin Americans are raised to win soccer games. That means in extra time you fake injuries if its a close game and to your advantage. If you can’t wrap your head around that concept, then that’s your problem US fans. Perhaps you should just follow the NFL if you can’t hang with the rest of the world.