by FRANCO PANIZO
It took three months and nine games, but Clint Dempsey finally scored his first goal of the Premiership season.
Dempsey netted in the 68th minute of Fulham's match against Manchester City, heading home the equalizer from 10 yards out. The American international's goal capped a remarkable comeback for Fulham, earning the Cottagers a 2-2 draw.
Jonathan Spector was also involved in a comeback this weekend, as West Ham United came back from 2-0 to tie Arsenal. Spector earned his first start since Aug. 29, and played the entire match.
Fellow U.S. national team right back Steve Cherundolo had a solid outing as well, playing 90 minutes in Hannover 96's 1-0 win vs. VfB Stuttgart. The game was Cherundolo's ninth start of the Bundesliga campaign.
Here is how the rest of the Americans Abroad performed this weekend:
- Tim Howardstarted, played 90 minutes and made two saves in Everton's 3-2 loss vs. Bolton Wanderers on Sunday.
- Jozy Altidore did not dress in Hull City 's 0-0 draw vs. Portsmouth on Saturday.
- Clint Dempsey started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in Fulham's 2-2 draw vs. Manchester City on Sunday. Here is video of Dempsey's goal:
- Eddie Johnson dressed but did not play in Fulham's 2-2 draw vs. Manchester City on Sunday.
- Jonathan Spector started and played 90 minutes in West Ham's 2-2 draw vs. Arsenal on Sunday.
- Brad Friedel started, played 90 minutes and made one save in Aston Villa's 1-1 draw vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday.
Brad Guzan dressed but did not play in Aston Villa's 1-1 draw vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday.
Marcus Hahnemann dressed but did not play in Wolverhampton Wanderers' 1-1 draw vs. Aston Villa on Saturday.
COCA COLA CHAMPIONSHIP
- Jay DeMerit did not dress in Watford's 4-1 win vs. Sheffield Wednesday on Friday. He is recovering from an eye injury.
- Frank Simek did not dress in Sheffield Wednesday's 4-1 loss vs. Watford on Friday.
- Ian Joyce dressed but did not play in Southend United's 2-1 loss vs. Carlisle United on Saturday.
- Zak Whitbreaddid not dress in Millwall's 2-1 win vs. Leeds United on Saturday. He is recovering from a hip injury.
- Mike Grella did not dress in Leeds United's 2-1 loss vs. Millwall on Saturday.
- Jemal Johnson started and played 45 minutes in Milton Keynes Dons' 3-1 loss vs. Southampton on Saturday.
- Jon-Paul Pittman did not dress in Wycombe Wanderers' 1-1 draw vs. Exeter City on Saturday.
- Maurice Edu did not dress in Rangers' 1-1 draw vs. Hibernian on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- DaMarcus Beasley dressed but did not play in Rangers' 1-1 draw vs. Hibernian on Saturday.
- Oguchi Onyewu did not dress in AC Milan's 2-1 win vs. Chievo Verona on Sunday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Michael Bradley started and played 90 minutes in Borussia Moenchengladbach's 0-0 draw vs. FC Cologne on Saturday.
- Steve Cherundolo started and played 90 minutes in Hannover 96's 1-0 win vs. VfB Stuttgart on Saturday.
- Sal Zizzo did not dress in Hannover 96's 1-0 win vs. VfB Stuttgart on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Jermaine Jones did not dress in Schalke 04's 3-3 draw vs. Hamburg SV on Sunday. He is recovering from a leg injury.
- Kenny Cooper came off the bench and played 24 minutes in TSV 1860 Munich's 3-2 loss vs. FSV Frankfurt on Satuday.
- Luis Robles dressed but did not play in Kaiserslautern's 2-0 loss vs. Fortuna Dusseldorf on Friday.
- Matt Taylor did not dress in FSV Frankfurt's 3-2 win vs. TSV 1860 Munich on Saturday.
- David Yeldellstarted, played 90 minutes and made four saves in TUS Koblenz's 2-1 win vs. SpVgg Greuther Furth on Friday.
- Carlos Bocanegra started and played 90 minutes in Stade Rennes' 3-0 win vs. Montpellier on Saturday.
- Freddy Adu did not dress in Belenenses' 0-0 draw vs. Olhanense on Friday.
- Kamani Hill and Vitoria de Guimaraes play Sporting Lisbon on Tuesday.
- Benny Feilhaber and AGF Aarhus play FC Nordsjaelland on Monday.
- Jeremiah White and AGF Aarhus play FC Nordsjaelland on Monday.
- Danny Califf did not dress in FC Midtjylland's 2-1 win vs. Koge on Sunday.
- Michael Parkhurst and FC Nordsjaelland play AGF Aarhus on Monrday.
- Marcus Tracy came off the bench and played 9 minutes in Aalborg's 2-1 loss vs. Brondby on Sunday.
- Troy Perkins started and played 90 minutes in Valerenga's 2-1 loss vs. Sandefjord on Sunday.
- Mikkel Diskerud started and played 89 minutes in Stabaek's 2-0 win vs. Bodo/Glimt on Sunday.
- Clarence Goodson started and played 90 minutes in IK Start's 3-1 loss vs. Tromso on Sunday.
- Hunter Freeman started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in IK Start's 3-1 loss vs. Tromso on Sunday.
- Alejandro Bedoya started and played 85 minutes in Orebro SK's 2-1 win vs. Halmstad on Friday.
- Jose Francisco Torres started and played 76 minutes in Pachuca's 1-0 win vs. Indios de Ciudad Juarez on Saturday.
- Michael Orozcodressed but did not play in San Luis' 1-0 loss vs. Tigres UANL on Saturday.
- Edgar Castillo started and played 90 minutes in Tigres UANL's 1-0 win vs. San Luis on Saturday.
- Marco Vidal started and played 90 minutes in Indios de Ciudad Juarez's 1-0 loss vs. Pachuca on Saturday.
What do you think of these performances? Surprised it took this long for Dempsey's first goal of the season? Happy to see Spector start again? Impressed with Cherundolo's consistent performances at Hannover?
Share your thoughts below.
Except for LD, deuce remains are most technically gifted player. But where was he during his junior yeras ? Why didnt the top colleges select him? Why wasnt he in Bradenton? or the junior world cup squads? or the junior national teams? Why wasnt he given an Adu style contract? or Eddie Johnson paycheck? or drafted like Altidore? Something wrong here.
The USSF should also take action against J Altidore. It is their interest for Altidore to play- and that means he shows up 2 hours before he is required to. But this speaks to Altidores ego and professionalsim. The USSf has invested a lot of money, time, coaching, precious playing time in Altidore. How does he reciprocate? Late for match reparation? Unacceptable. I wrote previously that altidore is technically incapable of european level play; now we are discovering he is also limited in his professionalism and dedication.
The Brian Ching mystery qualities?
I believe Clint had another goal credited to Zamora because it hit his backside on the way in.